First "Luxury Watch"
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: First "Luxury Watch"

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

First "Luxury Watch"

So I am glad I didn't just purchase a luxury watch on the whim. I've kind of become a bit accustomed to automatics ... I have 2 Seiko 5's and just bought an Orient Ray II. I am looking at the following watches:

1) Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114300
    2) Rolex Explorer current ref
    3) Rolex Submariner (no date) current ref
    4) Omega Seamaster Diver 300M (The recent release)
    5) Omega Seamaster Railmaster (the current release)

Now what I want is a watch that will be accurate ... go for around 7 - 10 years without needing service.
    A watch that will not be fragile i.e. if i accidently bump into a wooden desk I don't want to see things fall of the dial or the watch to quit functioning. Anti-Magnetism is something I am thinking about as well since I work next to alot of computers, network equipment (wifi radio signals e.t.c.).

Just wondering if my #1 Choice would fit what I described above. Or if I should look at the Omega's since they have ridiculous Anti-Magnetism support (I also assume they are pretty accurate - but can't find any specs). So far the Rolex OP ticks all the boxes for me (i don't care much for a date complication to be honest), but curious as to watch of the mentioned watches here would/should be the most accurate.

Re: First "Luxury Watch"

I would say your #1 choice is a fairly safe and robust watch. Out of the ones you have listed I would have to say the Explorer is my first pick and the OP would be second. Nothing wrong with the others that would just be me preference and you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Just remember to buy what you like the most.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

-WC

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

The OP39 and the current Rolex Exp I and Sub are all going to have +/-2 seconds per day movements and 10 year service intervals. You’re not going to get better accuracy specs than that on a mechanical basically (maybe a high-end tourbillon? Anyway not really relevant here). From experience I can also say a Rolex seems to handle a knock pretty well.

I don’t know too much about magnetism but I’m sure others do...
    MartinC2016 likes this.
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

* Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If magnetism is really a concern, Omega would likely be your best choice here. But I doubt Rolex has any real concerns either.
    MartinC2016 likes this.

Most Omegas are now passing METAS cert; I know the Railmaster and Seamaster do. That means high magnetic resistance as well as high accuracy.
    MartinC2016 likes this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

I think you are okay with any of 1-3. Whichever one sings to you the most and fits your lifestyle best.

And if you want a coloured or white dial it’s easy because 2 and 3 are out.
    MartinC2016 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo 8135 View Post
    The OP39 and the current Rolex Exp I and Sub are all going to have +/-2 seconds per day movements and 10 year service intervals. You’re not going to get better accuracy specs than that on a mechanical basically (maybe a high-end tourbillon? Anyway not really relevant here). From experience I can also say a Rolex seems to handle a knock pretty well.

I don’t know too much about magnetism but I’m sure others do...
    Even a high-end tourbillon may be more accurate than Rolex's 313X/323X movements for a time being, most possibly it may not be as stable/reliable as Rolex is known for its being solid. imo the only competitor is high-grade ETA movement (2892).

Some great watches in your selection; if magnetism is an issue for you then the Master Chronometer series would be your choice with it's METAS certification. You could also have a look at the Rolex Milgauss offering. However I think the issue of magnetising watches is more of a sales tool than real life problem for most of us. I work with computers most days and have never yet had a watch magnetised.
    My understanding is that the Omega Master Chronometers are regulated to 0 to +4 seconds per day and you get the actual results of the testing for your watch. In contrast Rolex state -2 to +2 seconds per day so can run slow; you also don't get any test results for the Rolex COSC testing. Since most people seem to prefer their watches to run fast it's possibly a good idea on behalf of Omega.
    If things falling off the dial concern you the Omega Railmaster would be the best bet with it's painted hour markers leaving no batons to fall off. I once had a baton fall off my two year old Rolex Datejust and was charged for a full service by Rolex to stick it back on!
    Based upon personal experience I prefer the look of the Rolex but the specification and service from Omega. However, there is ultimately little to choose between any of the watches you are looking at for everyday use - so it really comes down to which one you like the best and will make you happy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    MartinC2016 likes this.

Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, Ireland & Almancil/Vale do Lobo/Quinta do Lago Council, Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by ivanos View Post
    Even a high-end tourbillon may be more accurate than Rolex's 313X/323X movements for a time being, most possibly it may not be as stable/reliable as Rolex is known for its being solid. imo the only competitor is high-grade ETA movement (2892).
    Good point. High-end watches generally wouldn’t tend to be as sturdy as a Rolex in my understanding, and maybe a tourbillon would add even more fragility?
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/paulo_8135

* Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000D
    * Casio Oceanus
    * Omega Constellation Gold
    * Omega Gold
    * Rotary Silver
    * Seiko Premier
    * Tag Heuer Aquaracer blue

These will ALL fit your needs. I believe Omegas newest co-axial movements are very resistant to magnetism.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information