First Major Watch Purchase....

Thread: First Major Watch Purchase....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First Major Watch Purchase....

I need help.

I am a second year Law Student who will be working at a prestigious law firm in the future. I am young (mid-twenties) and obviously somewhat poor from the money being spent on my tuition.

My situation is pretty simple -- I love beautiful, nice, well-made things and am quite willing to pay a premium for something I know will last and is worth the extra cost. Also, I love things that are unique and different especially with brands. I would, in the future, like to become a watch lover like many on this website.

I have spent the past few weeks searching around the internet attempting to learn more about the brands, the prestige of some versus others, etc. and have had much difficulty. I am getting confused and caught up with all the hundreds of brands out there and the large variation of prices. I am trying to figure out what watch would work the best for me in the $400 and below price range. Please give me a hand -- I've been searching these forums and have found threads that have somewhat helped (below).

Also, if someone does not mind -- could you speak upon Accutron, ESQ, Swiss Army, Hamilton, Tissot, Seiko, Stuhrling, and any other brands that come to mind within this price range. I like to do my research and make the most informed decision prossible, ideally with the help of this forum!

:thanks

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...e+price+brands

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...t=order+brands

Re: First Major Watch Purchase....

Also, a few other links that I found while searching around the net, I would love your opinions on them --

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/trends...shion_men.html

I liked the Invicta, Tissot, and Swatch designs from those.

Once again, thanks in advance for your help -

Also, a few other links that I found while searching around the net, I would love your opinions on them --

I liked the Invicta, Tissot, and Swatch designs from those.

Once again, thanks in advance for your help -- I am a bit overwhelmed at the moment!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Well, you as a student, have more important important bills than an expensive watch. My advice is, that you should buy something nice, but cheap.
    Tissot is a very good brand, with quality, well designed watches. Of course, they use "stock" movements, but nothing wrong with that!
    Invicta? If you use the search funktion, you will get a lot of threads about that brand.
    Personally, I would get a Tissot.
    And when you are a fully qualified lawyer, and your economy improves (drastically, I hope), then I will recommend a nice JLC or similar!!!

V8

If all you are trying to do is impress people, your $400 is best spent on a Hamilton or a Tissot, both are well known swiss watchmakers that even non-wis may recognize.

If you just want a very good watch that has the most value for your $400 I recommend the same brands but will add Seiko, Accutron, and Swiss Army.

If the law firm is really prestigious cover your eyes when they turn on the lights, lest you get blinded by all the gold rolexes

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

Smile Re: First Major Watch Purchase....

Hi ask1919, and welcome to WUS! I recently graduated from law school so I definitely know where you're coming from. First of all, you don't have to get a "prestigious" watch- just one that you like and fits the bill. As someone who has gone through the process, I know it can be intimidating, but hang in there. You have to prioritize. Here are a few factors to consider.

Without knowing too much about your ideal criteria in a watch (besides the fact that you want an all-arounder, suitable for dress occasions as well as regular wear), I have linked some interesting specimens. Some questions to help me narrow it down for you:

• Automatic, quartz, or manual-wind? Automatic watches are more "collectible" and tend to hold more value (usually for the owner only), and investing in watches (as anyone here will tell you) is not a primary reason to get one (especially at your price range). I personally like the artistry and anachronistic artistry of automatic watches. There's just something satisfying about knowing that your watch depends on your motion to keep running- like a symbiotic relationship.

Quartz watches are ideal if you don't want to remember to either wind your watch (manual-wind) or remember to wear your automatic every day to ensure it keeps accurate time. In fact, my first "real" watch was a Tissot PRC200 (white dial seen at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/keyofcm...7607997936388/, http://www.flickr.com/photos/keyofcm...7607997936388/).

Manual wound watches are more traditional and you only have to wind it the same time every 24 or so hours. I don't have one of these yet, but am looking...
    • Aesthetically, what kind of watch are you into (round, square, tonneau, etc.)? Basically, you need to decide the "look" you want. Most traditional watches are round. Square and barrel, or tonneau-shaped, watches are also nice. It's just preferene.
    • Roman numerals, arabic numbers (full, partial), or tick marks? The more conservative watches have Roman numerals, but these can be hard to read at times. Arabic numbers are the easiest to read but more modern, and tick marks can be harder to read but are also traditional.
    • Do you have a preference whether it's a chronograph or not? Most folks don't use all the function a chronograph (a watch with 2 or 3 dials with small seconds display, timer, etc.) offers; they just like how it looks. If you prefer the minimalist look, you might want to forgo chonographs.
    • How many other complications or features would you like (moonphase, # of hours of power reserve, etc.)? The more features you add, the higher the price climbs. You aren't likely to find many of these features on the lower end of the price spectrum anyway.
    • Color schemes preferred? I like to stick with white dials or black dials, simply because I am a more traditional kind of individual. I usually wear a stainless steel white dial watch for business during the day and switch to a leather deployment (leather strap with stainless steel buckle) for night or more formal occasions. Some others like brown, blue, or other colored dials though and spice things up with different color bands. For you though, knowing that the firm environment is more formal, I'd stick with white or black.
    • Do you have a preferred movement you'd like? (i.e. Valjoux 7750 which is harder and more expensive to regulate but strong, versus the common ETA 2824-2)? Ok, this is probably a question you won't need to worry about. Some collectors like to assemble a collection with different movements (the 'engine types' of an automatic watch) for variety. This is more akin to collecting art from different painters in a period rather than for simply decorating the walls in your house. More of a watch nerd thing. :)
    • Strap/band/bracelet? After you've decided on what watch to get, you get to decide on what kind of material holds the watch to your wrist. Do you want a strap with a tongue (holes are prepunched and you put the tongue in the hole to fit), a leather strap with deployment (see above), or a bracelet (with any number of fasteners)? Stainless steel is easily washed and durable, but leather can be more comfortable, particularly for cold climates. However, leather in a warm climate is not a good idea as it can get dirty or smell without regular care. The more exotic hides (crocodile, ostrich, etc.) will cost more.
    • If bracelet, what material (stainless steel, gold, two-tone, titanium)? Basically stainless steel is the default, as everything else costs more (metals).
    • Brands- This is less important, unless you anticipate having a lot of problems with your watch and want an authorized dealer to handle warranty issues. I personally have never had an issue with any of my watches, but then again I don't need accuracy within +3 seconds a day. I like Hamilton's Jazzmaster Viewmatic (I have the black dial version), especially in the white dial version on leather if you don't have a white dial watch. It's classy, its American heritage is rich, and it's a very well made watch. Tissot is great too, and very solid. You can get some Gevril watches for a song nowadays, and Seiko never disappoints. Don't let the snob appeal of "Swiss movements" blind you to the myriad wonderful choices you can have with Seiko or Citizen!
    • Price- are you firm at $400 or is there some flexibility? I listed this last because price is irrelevant within a certain range. For instance, if you want to spend less than $400 but see a great watch that fulfills all the other criteria for $450, would you get it? That's a decision you have to make. I think you would be well served to take a look at the private sellers forum- I've bought all but the Tissot from the folks who frequent WUS and have been very satisfied with all of my purchases. Rule of thumb: Look for a high post count and perform a search on seller ratings. Ask lots of questions, ask to see real pictures (not just stock ones), and price check around the net to ensure you're getting a good deal.

Feel free to ask more questions- that's why this forum exists!

Last edited by 3Dials; January 7th, 2009 at 21:52.
    Excellence in Doing Things the Hard Way Since 1980
    Tissot PRC-200 | Seiko SNX427K2 | Seiko SNA029 | Marathon TSAR | Marathon GSAR | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Maratac Pilot | Omega Speedmaster Professional

@3dials

very informative post

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Read all the informative text above!!

Then, choose:
    Stowa Antea cream Auto. (Unless you want a LARGE watch). (brand new right at $400)
    OR
    Stowa Antea KS (used for around $350)

You need a nice dressy watch for your big firm interviews.
    Get a nice dressy watch that the big wigs will not recognize the brand yet VERY classy and looks like a million bucks (IMHO)
    Chronic flipper...

@3Dials

Thanks for such a detailed response. You definitely understand my pains in this learning process/search.

- Price is flexible, I want to purchase the right watch for me that I will love for years
    - Looking for a steel banded watch... A very traditional looking watch. Something that is all purpose and ever-lasting. (example - an Omega Sportmaster)
    - Still have my own personal questions about brands out there (forum post below)

That last point is something I am still attempting to search for some guidance. When it comes to cars, I have a far better understanding of quality, build and pestige versus watch brands. Anyone care to take a stab at this?

I am trying to get a better understanding of what type of quality sharing goes on between the Swatch brands (Tissot/Hamilton) versus say the Citizen brands (Accutron) or the Movado brands (ESQ).

I DON'T want to end up with the Cadillac Cimarron of watches!

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...&highlight=esq
    Last edited by ask1919; January 7th, 2009 at 22:51.

It is hard to rank the brands you mention in terms of car companies like you ask because the fact is that a lot of watches use the same or equivalent movements and it all boils down to styling. I guess one example would be how GM and Ford badge-engineer vehicles. It all boils down to what style you like more, so don't worry about the brand.

In your price range, I think Tissot, Hamilton, Citizen, Seiko, and Orient offer pretty good value and quality.

For my first automatic, I'd probably go with a Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by ask1919 View Post
    @3Dials

Thanks for such a detailed response. You definitely understand my pains in this learning process/search.

- Price is flexible, I want to purchase the right watch for me that I will love for years
    - Looking for a steel banded watch... A very traditional looking watch. Something that is all purpose and ever-lasting. (example - an Omega Sportmaster)
    - Still have my own personal questions about brands out there (forum post below)

That last point is something I am still attempting to search for some guidance. When it comes to cars, I have a far better understanding of quality, build and pestige versus watch brands. Anyone care to take a stab at this?

I am trying to get a better understanding of what type of quality sharing goes on between the Swatch brands (Tissot/Hamilton) versus say the Citizen brands (Accutron) or the Movado brands (ESQ).

I DON'T want to end up with the Cadillac Cimarron of watches!

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...&highlight=esq
    Lots of dive watches.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information