First Nice Watch -- Looking to Spend <5K (after discount--Carrera,Roadster,IWC)

Thread: First Nice Watch -- Looking to Spend <5K (after discount--Carrera,Roadster,IWC)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Nice Watch -- Looking to Spend <5K (after discount--Carrera,Roadster,IWC)

I have been looking at buying a nice watch for two years and I am very confused. I need a watch that can serve all purposes -- from the suits (I work in a professional environment) to the weekend -- and that makes a statement about my authenticity and style. My favorites are:
    --Cartier Roadster: I think it is beautiful and makes the right statement BUT I hear it has second-rate movements and has little street cred with watch snobs
    --Omega Speedmaster Professional: I love what Omega stands for but the brand seems to be going downhill and the design seems unlikely to get noticed
    --Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic Chronograph Tachymetre: Maybe the prettiest watch that retails under 6K but it seems like too much to pay for a Tag and like it is harder to dress up
    --Rolex: I don't know as much about Rolex but getting one seems to predictable and the styling strikes me as uninspired ... plus I know tons of people who have Rolexs.
    --IWC IWC Classic Pilot ChronoAutomatic Steel: Just started considering this one, not sure about the brand --is it considered in the same class as Rolex? -- and the styling strikes me as a bit understated.

PLEASE HELP! I really want to make the right choice and buy a watch that will last me for many years. I am walking a fine line; I want a watch that catches the eye but is not too flashy; that says success but it is not glitzy; that is recognized for quality by most people but also get respect from people who really know watches. What do yall think?

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Re: First Nice Watch -- Looking to Spend <5K (after discount--Carrera,Roadster,IWC)

I don't know where you've heard that Omega's going downhill - if anything quite the opposite, as they move more upscale. As for the Speedmaster Pro - you either love it or you don't. It's not a watch that stands out - if that's what you're looking for.

Overall, though, if you're looking at spending $5000 I'd recommend spending some more time researching various watch companies and watch technologies and making the choice based on what you discover. A watch is a personal purchase, your criteria are fairly broad, and your spending limit is quite high.

EDIT* Then again if you've been looking for 2+ years I'm not sure what to tell you - I doubt a single thread will answer your questions.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Re: First Nice Watch -- Looking to Spend <5K (after discount--Carrera,Roadster,IWC)

Let me also add that (1) I would love to get something in the next 7 days and (2) I would like something new.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I suggest your problem is not that you lack watch knowledge, but self-knowledge. If you really have personal "authenticity and style," then it ought to be an easy task.

You've made several comments about other peoples' opinions. Why do you care what "watch snobs" think about your watch or if it has "cred" or if it gets noticed? Again, people who have their own personal style or people whose lifestyle or occupation favor a certain watch just get the right watch for them, without much consideration for what others think.

It really ought to be about the pleasure it gives you. If you get compliments, that's great; if somebody is so rude or mean as to criticize your watch or worse yet, to make judgments about you because of what you have on your wrist, you don't really need them in your life.

Now, having said all that (including the unsolicited personal philosophy), I think the watch that best suits your criteria is a Rolex.

* An Air King or a no-date Sub will meet your budget (or come really close).
    *They truly are do-it-all watches that you can wear with a suit or casual clothes, with toughness and water resistance for sports.
    *Well-regarded by both watch enthusiasts and everyday people

Peace

Mike

v76

If you have been researching this thing for two years, I don't know what I can add to help you out. Remember that YOU are buying the watch, so make sure you get something that appeals to you. As for me, I am enamored by movements (and slightly dressy watches), so if I'm paying that much for a watch I'd get in-house (or a highly modified ebauche), a movement that is a classic (or a potential classic). For me, there are many offerings that fit the criteria - from JLC, Chopard, GP, Omega, Rolex, Seiko (GS line), GO and Zenith. But, like I said, I think you should find out what works for YOU!
    Last edited by v76; April 14th, 2010 at 06:54.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Banned

It's one thing to suggest using the search function, but did you even read any of the threads on the first page of the Public Forum?

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=383417

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=385317

Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    It's one thing to suggest using the search function, but did you even read any of the threads on the first page of the Public Forum?

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=383417

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=385317
    I agree, this is like the 3rd or 4th thread asking for a watch suggestion within the same price range and the threads are still pretty active. I think the OP will find enough info in thos thread to make a decision, or just add something to the discussion.

Few things that stood out in my mind:

1. You've been searching for a nice watch for 2 years and you find that Omega is going downhill?!

2. Tag Heuer Carrera Tachymetre can easily be had for less than the new MSRP: $3400. Nowhere near what you have suggested at 5k.

3. If you are buying a Cartier, you are not really buying the movement. You are buying royalty and design. There are many WIS that acknowledge Cartier's presence in horological history.

3. For 5K you are in serious business to pick out a very nice watch that can last you a lifetime.

Either you are not looking really hard or just havent done your homework.
    Current Rotation:
    Rolex DSSD
    Rolex SeaDweller 16600
    Rolex Submariner 16610 "LV"
    APROO Rubberclad black
    APROO bumblebee
    Hublot Ice Bang
    Hublot Tantalum Bang
    JLC Amvox 5

Garage:
    14 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
    15 Porsche 911 S
    16 Range Rover Sport

On Omega, I have just heard a number of people observe that their design, while credible, have begun to become too dated.

I have done a lot of research .. the more I learn the more indecissive I become. I came here to get some help getting through the clutter.

"You've made several comments about other peoples' opinions. Why do you care what "watch snobs" think about your watch or if it has "cred" or if it gets noticed? Again, people who have their own personal style or people whose lifestyle or occupation favor a certain watch just get the right watch for them, without much consideration for what others think."

I knew I would get some of this "first know thyself" mumbo jumbo. Look, a watch is a statement, to yourself and others. I am asking about the "others" part. That is not crazy -- you wear clothes because you don't want other people to see you naked. Many people are pushing me towards the Rolex. I am becoming convinced. Few mention the Roadster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information