First Post! - Buying Philosophy
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: First Post! - Buying Philosophy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Smile First Post! - Buying Philosophy

Hello everyone, and a happy holiday season to you all! As the title states, this is my first post so please excuse any forum faux pas I might make. I've of course read the FAQs and guidelines and will do my best to abide by them.

That aside, I am very interested to hear your own personal buying philosophies. Specifically, would you rather buy a single brand new timepiece, or use the same amount of money to buy a few different used/vintage watches that fulfill different rolls (i.e. dress watch, dive watch, chronograph, etc.)? I find myself facing this dilemna at the moment and can't quite hash it out. I am moving my way into higher quality luxury watches so budgeting out my collection expansion is rather crucial. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Banned

Re: First Post! - Buying Philosophy

In your case I'd buy used given watches depreciate as fast as cars. My watch shopping style is different so won't apply.

Welcome to the forums!

The only thing that is truly consistent in my buying philosophy is that I only want to buy the things that really speak to me - price is much less of a determining factor (provided I have the cash handy of course - never buy anything that you can't afford!).

As such, I'm working hard on not making any more impulse buys, and only hunting down the pieces that have held my desire strongly.
    JOSE G and MrTickles like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good question. I asked something similar to this as a newcomer here myself. :)

Here are a few of mine:

1/. The most useful comment I ever read here: first figure out what you really want, and then figure out a way to save for it Obviously, there is an implied "within reason" qualifier here, but this really changed the way I was approaching watches and has saved me a lot of unsatisfying purchases as well.

2/. I try to have a variety of designs, dial colors, complications, strap, etc. And avoid multiple watches which look/do the same thing.

3/. 1 per brand.

4/. Nothing that is too blatant a copy of another design. I don't have an issue of other people buy 'homages' but I won't. If I like the design, I'd rather have the original.

5/. A self-imposed limit of 10 watches, excluding beaters and cheapie.

6/. Try before I buy. Most of watches I bought b:c they looked nice in photos have been sold.

7/. Quality over quantity. I'd rather have a few watches I love, rather than a lot that I merely like.

8/ While the looks of the watch are the single most important factor, I do take into account the brand, the history of the watch (iconic is good) as well as whether or not it has an interesting back story (eg, Panerai).

That's about all I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    X2-Elijah, Nikoloz, gward4 and 1 others like this.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

Trying to avoid duplicates, homages, copies, and boring designs. Buying only what I like (learned this the hard way, and have regretted every time I've not followed this). Pricewise... not breaking the bank, but still aiming for as good as I can get at the moment (or with some saving-up). New or very lightly used (again.. something I've broken and regretted after). Keep the total amount under very tight check (imo, if you have more than two or three, it's time to start thinking which one you could live without...).

Also, sod the "categories" (diver, chrono, dress, etc.). They don't really fit into my life anyway (I don't tend to flick between an oil-barons office meeting, racing in a daytona rally, and deep-diving with Jacques Cousteau), so instead a "category" at most would be "is this gonna be a good daily wearer? Does it look fun/comfortable?". Maybe if I was buying watches for the shelf/box/safe instead of for the wrist, then I would reconsider this.
    JOSE G and n1k0 like this.
    San Martin Damascus Radiomir
    Aevig Huldra 2
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

Quote Originally Posted by Veda View Post
    In your case I'd buy used given watches depreciate as fast as cars.
    No they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctrineGent View Post
    Hello everyone, and a happy holiday season to you all! As the title states, this is my first post so please excuse any forum faux pas I might make. I've of course read the FAQs and guidelines and will do my best to abide by them.

That aside, I am very interested to hear your own personal buying philosophies. Specifically, would you rather buy a single brand new timepiece, or use the same amount of money to buy a few different used/vintage watches that fulfill different rolls (i.e. dress watch, dive watch, chronograph, etc.)? I find myself facing this dilemna at the moment and can't quite hash it out. I am moving my way into higher quality luxury watches so budgeting out my collection expansion is rather crucial. Thanks in advance for your opinions!
    In order to answer your question I would like to understand your destination (assuming that you have one for your collection. In the absence of that information I find it difficult to give you any advice.

As for myself I have a collection of new (albeit with demanded heavy discount on most) or used pieces. I don't have any vintage watches although my last purchase was a 1998 piece that was recently serviced (this filled a 18ct yellow gold 'absence' from my horde as well as adding a new brand).

Have fun developing your collection - but be aware - it's addictive!

My gig is to try to only buy affordables. Though I can afford expensive stuff, don't feel the minor gains are worth the major outlay as there are many beautiful watches and beautifully made watches in the under $1500USD range.

Also like supporting the good micro brands that are out to make a unique watch rather than a huge profit without tons of marketing BS. Why should you pay to fund the bigshots polo match, car race, tennis tourney or sailing regatta?

Last edited by yankeexpress; December 25th, 2015 at 15:15.
    n1k0 likes this.

I'm all about quality over quantity. I would rather save up to buy that one special piece that I know I will love and wear than 5 I will have trouble rotating through. A good rule of thumb is to not impulse buy, rather if you keep coming back to the same watch over and over again after a few months, you know that is the watch for you.
    fld likes this.

Superb topic! And the comments above are super helpful! Getting the balance to a collection is hard. And I think its a start/stop learning lesson.

I have found my taste has changed, as I owned more watches and as I figured out what really fits me. Then I also had some watches I just had to own and kept a while, checked the box and moved on.

So, as the numbered post above, I try and limit my watches to 10 or so, except beaters. I try not to junk up my collection with cheaper watches and my latest "that looks cool" purchase. I have tried to assemble a core of watches I think are iconic. And added in a fun diversity of less expensive to play with and sell/trade off, or have a cool niche beater.

I like to buy a lot of my watches used, to avoid the above referenced depreciation. But there are some watches I prefer to buy new. I try to make as best value/usage selection as I can. Some watches I wear a lot, and some are just play. I try to define that before purchase.

I have core brands I favor, and have multiple models of Seikos for example as beaters and everyday in the field watches that are great usable tough. But there are some iconic brands I have my favorite, like the Doxa 750 GMT, where one brand example is enough.

Now here is something important I have learned. I really don't know what I like or don't like till I wear it for a while. Watches I Love on a screen or in print, or on someone elses arm, are not necessarily what I like on my wrist. It takes a while to figure out what I really like from wearing a watch. Some I didn't think were much I have loved. Some I thought I loved were.....meh.

Buy less quantity and more quality. Differentiate the uses of the watches you will use. Have fun and don't take it too serious. Its a fun hobby and they are just toys....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information