First post - Graduation - IWC Portuguese Chronograph v. JLC MUT
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: First post - Graduation - IWC Portuguese Chronograph v. JLC MUT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First post - Graduation - IWC Portuguese Chronograph v. JLC MUT

Hi all,

I've been browsing this wonderful forum for some time and would appreciate some help choosing between watches.

I'm 22 and will graduate at the end of this year, before starting work at a leading investment bank. I've worked hard and want to buy myself something special to celebrate the completion of my studies.

I'm currently looking at these two watches, both of which I think are absolutely gorgeous and sell for a similar price.

To my understanding, the IWC uses an eta movement (with their in-house Portuguese movements being more expensive) while the JLC is in-house. While my impression is that this isn't a make-or-break factor, the JLC does seem relatively good value? Other than this, my main attraction to the JLC is that it is considerably slimmer and also has a sapphire glass back.

Other than that, I'm tall, athletic and have relatively large wrists (7.5 inches).

I'll be trying both on, but I'd appreciate anyone's input regarding the aesthetics, quality, the movement used, suitability for work dress etc.

Cheers!

Edit: Apologies for the poorly embedded photographs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M02_IW371401_2011_grey.6a6ac33c53f12ca37cc127cf429cf6a1.jpg 
Views:	841 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	1607938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JLC.png 
Views:	783 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	1607940
    Last edited by TimeForMe; August 24th, 2014 at 15:43.
    DanOmega likes this.

Re: First post - Graduation - IWC Portuguese Chronograph v. JLC MUT

Me likey the JLC, one of the few dress watches I am fond of. The IWC is pretty nice tho
    Calm down.....It's just a watch....

Between these two, I'd go for the LeCoultre.

Looks like a watch you probably won't get tired of anytime soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Both great watches and I am particularly fond of gold hands on a stainless watch, however, in this instance, it would be hard for me to overlook the simple elegance that is the JLC MUT. In your occupation, the whimsy of the IWC hands/indexes may not play well.
    Last edited by wschofield3; August 24th, 2014 at 15:57.

Thanks all.

Does anyone have a few on the relative strengths of the movements used in each watch? One of the hardest things for me to understand is how important the actual movement is etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Both great watches and I am particularly fond of gold hands on a stainless watch, however, in this instance, it would be hard for me to overlook the simple elegance that is the JLC MUT. In your occupation, the whimsy of the IWC hands/indexes may not play well.
    Thanks and agreed. Fair point re. work. I'll be working on the trading desk, so hopefully a little bit of flamboyance is acceptable. On the other hand, I'd rather play it safe!

I had that exact IWC and a JLC with similar appearance. This is based on my experience:

the IWC is a stunning watch, with a beautiful design and very clean looks. It wears larger than its size, but should be fine on your 7.5 wrist. It got more comments than any other watch I have owned. It is thin and comfortable. The movement is a modified ETA, as you mentioned, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I liked that the movement felt durable and robust, and it's nice to know that repairs/maintenance can be simple. There is no doubt that you would love this watch, especially being a young guy. It easily goes from dressy to casual and will get a lot of wrist time. I chose to put mine on a dark brown strap and it looked great with the RG numerals.

The JLC of course has the "in house" movement and a more subdued look. The watch is more elegant and dressy, but I wonder if this model would give you the same enjoyment on the wrist as the IWC. The dial is a bit more stark, and the watch is understated in comparison with the Port Chrono.

Normally I would go with a JLC over IWC, but at this point in your life I think the Port is the best choice for you. Versatile and fun to wear, great for being your main daily watch. The JLC is also great, but better served as your "dress watch" in a small collection.

try them on, go with your gut and don't look back!

Last edited by bar2020; August 24th, 2014 at 16:09.

Trust me with this kind of emotional and financial commitment you probably won't be using the chronograph complication that much. Stick with more authentic, timeless, easy-to-look-after, and practical JLC.

IWC, ETA based MVmt. any competent watchmaker can service.JLC, exotic Mvmt. any competent watchmaker would not be able
    to get parts, so you will pay a premium for service every 5-6 years....Both fantastic watches, in my opinion, your choice.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Hi, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your graduation. Regarding the watches, I prefer the Portuguese; I have a couple of friends that own it, and it's not only beautiful, but will be more versatile in terms of being worn either casually or with a suit.
    To be honest, I don't think there is a wrong choice here. Make sure you try them on, and make the decision based on the one you like and feels better on your wrist.
    Once again congratulations and do post pictures once you get it.

Cheers,
    Andres

Hi! Both great watches but no doubt I'd buy the Portuguese
    My dad has it and it's much easier to wear for a young man in my opinion
    I'm 24 and I often stole it from my dad's collection
    The Portuguese is something unique when it's on your wrist!
    And, if you are willing to have a watch collection in future I'd leave the "jlc place" for a reverso!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information