First Post: trying to decide on ladies watch

Thread: First Post: trying to decide on ladies watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused First Post: trying to decide on ladies watch

I am planning to buy my first nice watch and cannot decide between 3 options. I am 30 and work in a conservative office (so nothing too flashy). My top choices are the Jaeger reverso classique in stainless, the midsize stainless Rolex datejust, and the small stainless Cartier tank. I am kind of leaning toward the Jaeger because I live in NY and it seems like every girl in her mid twenties here wears a Cartier or Rolex likely bought as a graduation present. I have not been able to try the Jaeger in person-the store I went to only sold the small ladies version and I want the more midsize version. I am also confused because I've read that the Jaeger is the best watch of the options but heard somewhere that the brand was acquired by a large company that produces many brands, including Cartier (is this right?). The Cartier is beautiful and delicate. And my husband is pushing for the Rolex because I tend to be really hard on jewelry and watches.

Help!

Re: First Post: trying to decide on ladies watch

Jaeger-LeCoultre and Cartier are both currently managed by Richemont (to the best of my knowledge), but that doesn't mean that JLCs and Cartiers are getting pumped out of the same factory or anything; the management of the brands only plays a role on the buisiness side of things, as far as I see it. Similar to Omega, Breguet, Blancpain and Glashutte Original (among many others) all being part of the Swatch Group. I wouldn't let that detail deter me from either brand, personally. If my understanding is wrong, someone correct me. I don't claim to be an expert.

The Reverso gets my vote!
    Sent from my bathroom using [email protected]

Sounds like your husband likes the Rolx - not you. Buy him one (maybe he's hinting?) though they are fairly robust watches and if you are abusive it's a good choice.
    The Reverso may be a bit large looking on your wrist if it is small, then again, you may like that look.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum. If this were a choice for a man, I would say the Datejust or the Reverso. For a woman, I would opt for the Cartier Tank. The brand Cartier has a common perception of relating to all things jewelry and feminine, and I find that the Tank is particularly attractive on the female wrist.

The Reverso is an awesome watch, but the heritage of the polo grounds doesn't sit quite so well with me on a women's watch. Rolex is ubiquitous and it is almost a right of passage in the business world for men. I would do something a bit different.

If it were for my wife I would go:

1. Tank
    2. Reverso
    3. Datejust

In reality, these are all great choices, and it is hard to go wrong with any of them.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

I vote reverso as well. If you're open to other non traditional options try the Lady Serenade from Glashutte Original - I love that watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    For a woman, I would opt for the Cartier Tank. The brand Cartier has a common perception of relating to all things jewelry and feminine, and I find that the Tank is particularly attractive on the female wrist.
    I'll second that :)

1. JLC 2. Cartier 3. Rollie from my view. 1. Cartier 2. JLC 3. Rolex from my wife's POV. edit you might want to remind your husband the JLC Reverso was designed for polo players to wear while playing with it flipped of course.
    Last edited by ilitig8; October 29th, 2013 at 04:49.

It's going to be your watch, nor your husband's, nor anyone else's here. It sounds to me like you've basically already made up your mind. My only suggestion would be to try and find a seller who has the watch you want in stock so you can try it on and make sure it's the one you want.
    Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

If this will be your only watch, I'd have to agree with your husband (especially if you're hard on your watches).

Mmmmm, Reverso all the way from my perspective, given your desires about the office setting and wearability. My wife, on the other hand, sees nothing in the JLC but did just chime in and opine that your thought process regarding the ubiquitousness of the Rolex and Cartier should push you definitely toward the Reverso . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information