First "proper" watch - looking for options

Thread: First "proper" watch - looking for options

First "proper" watch - looking for options

I currently have a single watch that is a Rotary (gb02299/06) and it has served me well for a number of years and is still going strong. For now I am happy to keep using this watch on a day to day basis but feel that it is probably time to get something a little more special for those high days and holidays (ie a dress watch).

Ideally I'd like a dark brown leather strap, a light/ white face and a simple clean face. I dont have tiny wrists but I am not well built either and am not into the current trend of oversized watches. In particular I dont like the exceptionally bulky watches - I did look at replacing the Rotary with an Omega Seamaster and looked at both the 39mm and 42mm version both felt too bulky to me but the SHMBO thought the 42mm looked better on me.

I've not had much opportunity to do shopping around but did see the IWC Portofino which was of interest but would be at the top end of my budget:
    Name:  IW356403-IWC-Portofino-Midsize-rose-gold-white.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  54.9 KB

I was hoping that some of the more learned members would be able to suggest some alternatives to look at next time I am in London as my past experiences of watch shops here has been unfavourable when it comes to providing help/ suggestions

My other slight concern is maintenance, my current watch has a lifetime battery guarantee so keeps good time and just once every couple of years it goes to the local shop and within 10 minutes it has a new battery in it. I realise automatics require servicing and accept that but I dont want to be buying something thats going to cost thousands a year to maintain and that I will be without for months at a time whilst its being serviced.

Many thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Astaroth; January 4th, 2013 at 16:17.

Re: First "proper" watch - looking for options

Some Stowa watches seem similar to that IWC...

Antea - STOWA GmbH & Co.KG

Welcome!

Check out Nomos.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1357331959685.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  39.0 KB

There are a few dealers on Oxford/Regent/Bond Street who carry the brand.

Very well respected brand here with good service prices too http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Servic...ce-price-list/

I just bought the Orion Datum Weis above - awaiting delivery.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think the obvious answer here is Nomos. Personally I think the are more attractive that the IWC you mentioned, at least (call me crazy) I would rather own one than that one. In-house movements, exceptional attention to detail, simplistic bauhaus style, and as you prefer not oversized or bulky on the wrist. There a number of awesome models Tangente, Tangomat, Orion, or what you really may want to look at since you had the budget for that IWC, the Zurich. In any case, gorgeous watches that provide exceptional value for money.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Not crazy at all - the IWC is lovely, but he wanted alternatives. The Zurich maybe too big - it wears huge on my 7 inch wrist

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1357333435278.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  45.2 KB

Thread Information