First Real Watch Purchase?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ard92
  • 1 Post By wristclock

Thread: First Real Watch Purchase?

First Real Watch Purchase?

Hello, first post. I have been wearing the same timex ironman for a year now, and am interested in getting a good watch. I have about $500 to spend, but the thing is I'm not sure if I want the watch or wait until the ipad 3 comes out to buy that. Any suggestions?

Re: First Real Watch Purchase?

Get yourself a Seiko SKX007. Trusty and inexpensive, this watch will serve you well for years.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by beaglecat View Post
    Hello, first post. I have been wearing the same timex ironman for a year now, and am interested in getting a good watch. I have about $500 to spend, but the thing is I'm not sure if I want the watch or wait until the ipad 3 comes out to buy that. Any suggestions?
    Take Ottovonn's advice and pick up that watch for around $200 and then take the other $300 and surf craigslist or ebay for when everyone is unloading there "out dated" ipad 2's buy it and then you have the best of both worlds.
    Heilong likes this.
    Own
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAP1110
    Tag heuer Carrera WV211B
    Hamilton Khaki king Auto Chrono H64616131
    Vostok Europe N1 GMT

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You will probably get 7398878497987 suggestions. I suggest you hang around the forums for a while, explore the various brand and theme forums, and develop an idea of what kinds of watches you like. Looking at other people's macro shots will either hook you into this whole watch thing or it won't. If you find, however, that you come across a watch that you just can't get out of your head, you've probably been bitten by the bug and that's the one to go for.
    At this point, if you have to ask us to pick between a watch and an iPad, I think you're probably fine throwing the dart at the wall blindfolded. However, if you're serious about buying a nice new watch for yourself, take the time, do some research, and pick something that strikes as just the coolest watch ever (in your price range).
    One other piece of advice. If a sale price looks too good to be true, something is either wrong with the watch or the MSRP, or both.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

All great suggestions! If there's a watch that you really like, go for the watch. A good watch can last you a long time. An iPad's great. I am writing this with it :) but I would rather have a watch especially if you already have a smartphone and a laptop. Just my two cents. Good luck!
    Omega Seamaster Pro Bond 2221.80
    Longines Hydroconquest Black Auto 41mm
    Tissot Couturier Automatic
    Girard-Perrigaux Gyromatic (vintage)
    Citizen Eco-Drive Chronograph CA0010-50L
    Casio G-Shock DW6600
    Casio G-Shock DW9052-1V
    Seiko SKX175
    Seiko SRP455 Blue Monster LE
    Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 42mm
    Bulova Moon Watch Special Edition

If you have to ask this question, get the iPad.

I just sold my ipad last week to help fund a watch. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by beaglecat View Post

A new iPad will become garbage in a year when they come out with two more that will blow it away, a good watch will still be a good watch years to come.
    Caraptor likes this.
    Calm down.....It's just a watch....

Yeah, I'd say watch over iPad everyday of the week...if it came down to having to choose between the two. That is me though, not you. I'd agree you can get a good $200 watch and an iPad 2...but if you are looking for a really nice watch $200 will get you something respectful, but it will still be a $200 dollar watch. So if you are a techie, then iPad 3 is likely the only way for you to go. Then start saving like mad and set a $1000 goal for a watch.

In the end...I was gifted an iPad 2, and while it is a neat piece of gear, it is FAR from a necessity.

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

As a techie and a watch fan (a watchie?) that is tough. Ultimately, I'd say go with a Seiko or a Victorinox for a nice start to your collection, and keep the rest aside for your iPad. There's no guarantee the 3rd version is coming out this year, so why not just get something nice now?

Thread Information