First Serious Watch.... Suggestions?

Thread: First Serious Watch.... Suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Serious Watch.... Suggestions?

So, this is my first time posting on these boards even though I've been reading them for the past several weeks trying to do some research. I decided to see if anyone might be able to offer me some advice. Basically, I'm looking to buy my first serious watch. At least serious for me. I've budgeted myself about $1500 and I've been looking around for a few weeks now. So far two watches have jumped out at me a bit.
    The first is the Seiko Velatura Kinetic Direct Drive (this is a picture from another post)

The second (and currently the one I'm leaning towards) is the Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono Auto (picture off of another thread with some good pictures)

With the Hamilton I'm not sure if I'd go for the light or dark face yet but I'd probably end up getting it on a bracelet to start and then buying a strap so that I could switch it up every so often.

So, any comments on the two watches I've mentioned? Movement, reliability, bang for buck, etc.
    Also, any suggestions for a nice watch that would fit my budget?

Re: First Serious Watch.... Suggestions?

I think that Hamilton is stunning. Also in your range would be a nice preowned speedmaster pro. Its a very historic, classy and sporty watch.

My Collection --> Click Here

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L View Post
    I think that Hamilton is stunning. Also in your range would be a nice preowned speedmaster pro. Its a very historic, classy and sporty watch.
    I second Speedy. These are on many people's MUST HAVE for a reason.

Only issues would be:
    1. Is it ok to not have date on your watch. - Me, if it is going to be my main watch, then I want to have date.
    2. Is the manual wind ok for you. - If it is going to be your main watch, then it is ok. Just remember, you can not buy winders for manual wind watches.

If above 2 things are issues for you, then get the Omega SMP - MANY fine examples can be had for about $1000. If chronograph is what you want, then consider Tag Heuer Carrera for about $1500.
    Last edited by hpark21; March 14th, 2009 at 04:51.
    Chronic flipper...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Or the Omega Speedmaster Reduced. Its an Auto.

kylel and hpark just gave you some good advice. omega speedy pro ( an all time classic if you simply do a search on these forums) if you don't need a date...or a seamaster.

if you need a chrono with a date, then that Hamilton looks mighty fine!

good luck!
    --AC

The speedy Pro is a truly historic watch, the design hasn't really been changed. I believe that it will maintain it's value, and stay a classic.

A few things I probably should have mentioned in my first post. I actually live in Nova Scotia, Canada. So, since the Canadian dollar is a little low these days, when I say $1500, that's a bit different than if it was in US currency. This leads in to my next point which is that even though I live in the largest Canadian city east of Montreal, it's still not huge. There's not much of a used watch market here. That would mean that I'd have to probably find one online if I went that route. Perhaps someone could offer some suggestions in that area.

Well, I guess I didn't realize how extensive the used watch pages were on this site. There's a ton there now that I'm taking a closer look.

Omega is definitely more prestigious than Hamilton. However,the Jazzmaster looks better than Speedy. The latter may be a classic but i prefer the former in terms of design. Maybe it's the bright dial that does it for me.

Seiko VKDD may be very well made but it's still a little hard to consider Seiko a serious watch IMO. Between those 2,the Jazzmaster is a more serious watch in terms of brand name n design.

I personally like that Hamilton...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information