First "Special" watch - Tell us your story
Like Tree13Likes
  • 7 Post By 5thofjuly
  • 1 Post By do335
  • 3 Post By TwentiethCenturyFox
  • 2 Post By acreor

Thread: First "Special" watch - Tell us your story

First "Special" watch - Tell us your story

I know there's probably a lot of posts like this, but I'm interested to hear of other stories of members and their first "special" watch. For some it may be a dime store timex with significant meaning for them, others it may be that first luxury watch they were able to purchase when they got that promotion then needed to justify spending the money, and to others it may be an apple watch that got them thinking about how cool watches are. Whatever it was, there's no wrong answer or judgement here. I'll start.

It was March of 2003 and I was in the US Army stationed in Germany and we got orders to deploy to Iraq. My family all lived in the US and I was coming to terms that there was a possibility that I would never see any of them again. I decided I wanted to buy something that if I didn't come back maybe some piece of me would and a watch made the most sense to me. I wanted to leave it to my father. Something he could wear to remember me by without calling any attention to what he was wearing. I decided on an Omega Seamaster 300M Chronograph. Not knowing anything about buying luxury watches and being in Germany, I purchased it from one of the online grey market dealers and it arrived shortly after I ordered it.

Since I received it, it's been with me for all of my life's major events. It was my only watch in the beginning until my addiction truly set in, but it was always the one I wore when something mattered. Getting through a war zone, engaged, married, the birth of our first and second daughters, anniversaries, etc. I sort of turned it into my good luck charm. And when something was important I felt the need to wear this watch over the others in my collection. I have "nicer" watches now, but this one is the one I'll never sell and always winds up getting enough wrist time. I know, this post is too long so I'll stop here. But I'm sure we'd all love to hear your story.

And here she is today. As amazing as the day I got her.
    Name:  2019-06-27_20-02-53_409.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  159.0 KB

Re: First "Special" watch - Tell us your story

Beautiful watch, and great story. And from one Iraq survivor to another, thank you.

My special watch was a Chase Durer Wing Commander. From a young age I was fascinated with both aviation and watches, but never got the two combined. At some point I bought an Aviation Weekly that had a Chase Durer ad in it, and I fell in love. I didn't have a lot of money growing up, so the ~$200 price tag was a big hurdle. So at the age of 15 I mowed lawn after lawn, and eventually saved up the money. After 6 years of daily wear the watch was pretty thrashed. I've tried getting in contact with Chase Durer for a service, but they won't return my messages.
    5thofjuly likes this.

Vintage GMT Master Rolex. Buddy was getting married saw it at a semi-shady jewelers in Las Vegas and pulled the trigger for $2200, with a cleaning cloth! Name:  368E8A83-0ACE-4E40-A579-1D792252E751.jpeg
Views: 27
Size:  780.9 KB
    acreor, 5thofjuly and Nikita70 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice thread and nice story 5thofjuly!! Funny I shared this story with "I like them BIG" just a couple of days ago..

I've started to be into the hobby in 2012 when I got my degree: I wanted to celebrate the milestone with a watch so I started to visit many dealers and in the end.. I bought nothing! That's because when my grandma found out that I was looking into buying a watch decided to give me my Grandfather watch (who left us 15 years before), I always wanted that watch and I never dared to ask for!! It is a beautiful Cortebert from 1960 bought in swiss, words can't describe how much I love that watch, for the history it has and for the pride it gives me when I wear it (I know, it might sounds stupid).
    It's the watch I wore during the most important events of my life: my degree, my wedding, my first job... I wear it every christmas when I meet with my relatives and my Grandmother is always happy to see how much I care about that watch, she was so emotional when I decided to wear it during my wedding.
    I always admired my Grandfather for his personality and the man he was, having a part of him always with me makes me feel proud.

I'd like to post a picture about it, but the watch is on service :(

Looking forward to read more stories. A watch it's not just a watch.
    kgrier and 5thofjuly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentiethCenturyFox View Post
    Vintage GMT Master Rolex. Buddy was getting married saw it at a semi-shady jewelers in Las Vegas and pulled the trigger for $2200, with a cleaning cloth! Name:  368E8A83-0ACE-4E40-A579-1D792252E751.jpeg
Views: 27
Size:  780.9 KB
    I don’t know if it’s the tropic strap or what, but your photos of his watch always strike me as the nicest GMT I’ve ever seen. The current iteration is like a caricature by comprasion, especially the bezel. Yours is an absolute beauty.

Lots of threads here on this subject.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I have three special watches that I will never sell. The first was my 21st birthday present, a Tag Heuer Aquaracer chronograph. This was before I was into watches and really just wanted one black dial stainless steel watch on a bracelet that was super versatile. I still wear it often to this day, and it is my beater watch that has been with me through some cool things

My first “special” watch was actually the first watch I ever had aged about 4. It was some pre owned “learn to tell the time” Timex (most of my stuff was pre-owned) and I was the only kid in the class with a watch, I was probably the only kid in school with one and I was SO proud of watch. When. I’d mastered time telling I moved up the the big league and have never been without a watch on my wrist since.

Thread Information