First swiss watch, best buy dilemma, new / used in between 1000-2000$ range

Thread: First swiss watch, best buy dilemma, new / used in between 1000-2000$ range

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First swiss watch, best buy dilemma, new / used in between 1000-2000$ range

Hi,

Name is Jos, 25 year old student and about to buy my first serious swiss watch. After first falling in love with some of the Raymond Weil designs (especially the maestro and freelancer, black + metal designs) and planning to buy one of those, I started to do some real research and got to know a little more. I ended up searching for best value/quality-design on forums and right now I have the idea that I'm better off buying a second hand watch in the 1000-2000 category than to spend the same amount of money on a new watch with a movement caliber that is of a lower category/ quality. So far the post that came up with most watches I really, really like is this one:

Re: Best buys between 1000 to 2000.

Big price range with many options

Sinn Instrument, U1 and UX - durability, almost cult following
    Sinn Regulateurs - all at the high end of the range but come with the same traits as the Instruments and Divers in a dressy look
    Nomos Tangente and Club, several models - relatively new marque, great design for the price
    TAG Heuer Carrera - timeless
    Stowa and Laco Fliegers - great build and heritage
    Omega Seamaster AquaTerra - coaxial tech and sober looks
    Fortis B42 models, Spacematic - durable with a heritage they like to demonstrate
    A handful of Orises can be had at once - no-nonsense brand with solid products
    2nd hand Speedy, Rolex Oyster/AirKing and a multitude of others.
    Up to you

I like a sober, elegant design. My personal favourites at the moment are the Tag carrera caliber 5 (the design and strap !) and the omega seamaster aqua terra - but I have the feeling that the omega seamaster stands out as a completely different class of a watch, and might therefore be a very nice purchase.

Could I get some thoughts ?

Kind regards,

Jos

p.s. The Raymond Weil watch that I really like is the Raymond Weil freelancer Automatic Open balance wheel steel on steel black dial 42mm, but I'm learning that it is using an older ETA movement caliber as opposed to other watches in the same price category.
    Last edited by Joskroep; October 15th, 2013 at 19:30. Reason: addition

Re: First swiss watch, best buy dilemma, new / used in between 1000-2000$ range

If I were you and have the money to spend , go with an Omega Aquaterra ! I'm in my twenties and that happens to be my dream watch ! good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most people will say Aqua Terra, but my vote is for the Carrera Cal. 5 - won't go out of style either and for low $1000 range you can pick up a mint one in used market, simple, elegant & versatile with solid ETA movement. Plus you have some money leftover for your sports watches like a Seiko Monster or a couple of G-Shocks as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very helpful stuff, and the Raymond Weil's I mentioned ? Any thought on those ?

I'll own up and say I know very little about RW. BUT it meets probably the biggest criteria that any watch needs to meet - you like it.

Anyone know what the 2nd hand prices of calibre 5's are?

Quote Originally Posted by Joskroep View Post

I like a sober, elegant design.
    Seems like your search can start and end with Nomos.

RW's are loved or hated here, but overall they are a very good quality watch for the money. Great bracelets, outstanding lume, and solid build quality.

I have two that I use as daily beaters, and they have always proven to be very accurate and wear very comfy on the wrist.

The Omega and Tag are also great options and tend to have a bigger following here, but any of those you are looking at would make a fine first choice for a nice Swiss watch.

Buy what you like, like what you buy.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I like the design, but I'm young too and on my search for elegant and at the same time not too stiff I think I prefer a different brand

Another thing I'm worried about is that the 42'' case of the Raymond Weil is too big for me, although I expect the 10mm thickness to 'eliminate' much of it's size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information