First time returned a watch because of obvious quality issues: women's quartz Luminox diver.

Thread: First time returned a watch because of obvious quality issues: women's quartz Luminox diver.

First time returned a watch because of obvious quality issues: women's quartz Luminox diver.

I returned watches a few times before: Fortis, Louis Erard, Eterna, FC, Rado, Oris (twice) are those that I remember. With each of those, it was a matter of personal preference - except for Rado, where, besides the fact that it wasn't very impressive, the 2824 manual winding action was extremely stiff, and combined with a tiny crown, begged for trouble.

The Luminox I wanted to buy for my wife was something else though. Granted, all others returned were considerably more expensive automatic watches, but still:

- Second hand did not hit the markers - not just that, it was hitting them in the lower part of the dial, but was off in the upper, going from 9 to 3. I don't have any quartz watches as reference point, and out of wife's 3, only Rado Florence has a second hand, with just 4 markers which it hits spot-on.
    - Lume was pretty much non-existent, very faint at best. The watch was new, although discontinued model - no more than 4 years old. I suspect those tritium tubes were just defective. To be fair, it was bought from gray market, but that doesn't usually assume obvious defects.

Besides those two issues the watch looked "drab", for the lack of better word, including the MOP dial, and felt like a $100 watch at most - which is pretty far from the actual GM cost, let alone MSRP. My wife's 3 other quartz watches - Edox, Eterna, Rado (none are divers) - all have a feel of higher quality, despite costing less in GM terms (but more in MSRP).

Below is a stock photo, model 7258 if anyone's curious.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Jacob E.; August 20th, 2018 at 20:15.

Thread Information