WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

JLC Deep Sea Chrono vs Rolex Sub 116610

Status
Not open for further replies.

First watch|Daily wearer: JLC Deep Sea Chrono vs Rolex Sub 116610

8K views 66 replies 53 participants last post by  StufflerMike 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I hope everyone is doing well. I am about to make my first watch purchase after reaching a meaningful life milestone. However, I am having some difficulty deciding between two models and wanted to reach out to the forums collective knowledge to help me make a final decision in a better informed way. Understanding that the final decision is subjective and may be based on a number of factors like how you dress (i.e. what garments, what brands [to determine the overall aesthetic]), where you live, etc. , I am including some data points that might be helpful to anyone that is kind enough to share their thoughts.

Personal:
Weekday dress: suits (Ralph Lauren Black/Purple Label or Thom Sweeney) for client meetings, otherwise trousers and odd jackets. Tend to favor dark colors with no patterns.
Weekday footwear: loafers (gaziano and girling) or oxfords (crocket and jones). Always black.
Weekend dress: jeans (mostly black) tshirts and sportcoats (rlbl/rlpl) /leather jackets (saint laurent/iro). Tend to favor dark colors with no patterns.
Weekend footwear: chelsea boots (Carmina) or sneakers (Common Projects). Black chelseas, white sneakers.

Tie-breaking factors:
A) Resistance to daily wear - I will only have this watch and will wear it every day in every situation
B) Versatility - Same as A
C) Price - For reference, I am buying this for myself
D) Resale market (i.e. If life goes well and I move up to an AP Royal Oak down the line, how much will I get back) - I am aware Rolex is good in terms of resale but I haven't had much luck determining how the JLC DSC would fair in the second-hand market. Per the WUS forums, it seems that the few JLC DSCs listed have depreciated by a larger percentage than the Rolex Subs. However, there aren't many listed at all and this is not helpful in determining what prices would be at year 5 of ownership.
E) Pre-owned cost - I am considering purchasing this from JOMASHOP since I have found its pricing to be competitive to that on the WUS forums. However, if I were to consider the second hand market, what should I expect to pay for each?
F) Is there anything I'm not considering that you think would be worth taking into account?

Option 1

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Option 2

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

See less See more
#2 ·
Between the two mentioned, as configured, consider strap replacement costs for the JLC. The bracelet on the Rolex, or pretty much any watch, will outlast several straps. If you don't crank a bracelet down, it should last a long, long time. I have a 15+ yo Sub that I wear a bit loose and the bracelet has no discernible stretch. The JLC strap, or anybody's strap, will wear out.

Second, I would count on the JLC losing more of its value than the Sub. I could sell my sub for a good bit more than I paid for it, but at 5 years would have had to take somewhat of a loss. The reason JLCs don't show up on the selling block so much is that they are a lesser known brand and the folks buying them tend to be buying them for the long haul. I don't plan to sell my JLC Grande Reverso Duo, but then I don't plan to sell my Sub either. My guess is that in 5 years time, when you decide to add a new watch, you may well decide to have a brace of watches rather than sell what you buy now.

In short, between the two watches you have chosen, both are great watches. If you don't want to see others wearing your watch, get the JLC. If resale value is really a driver, get the Sub. If it comes down to the bracelet, I suspect the JLC can be had on a bracelet as well, you might want to check that before deciding. Good luck with your decision.

#3 ·
Personal:
Weekday dress: suits (Ralph Lauren Black/Purple Label or Thom Sweeney) for client meetings, otherwise trousers and odd jackets. Tend to favor dark colors with no patterns.
Weekday footwear: loafers (gaziano and girling) or oxfords (crocket and jones). Always black.
Weekend dress: jeans (mostly black) tshirts and sportcoats (rlbl/rlpl) /leather jackets (saint laurent/iro). Tend to favor dark colors with no patterns.
Weekend footwear: chelsea boots (Carmina) or sneakers (Common Projects). Black chelseas, white sneakers.
Get the Sub, it's better looking.

BTW, the only words I understood in this whole paragraph were "age" and "jeans"

#4 · (Edited)
Due to ubiquity, and therefore acceptability and recognizability, IMO the Rolex will be a better choice as a one-and-only daily wearer. Also, a three-hand design, and a steel bracelet will be more versatile and more durable than a chrono on strap.

#5 ·
No doubt the JLC. It's not ground breaking in any way, but it's a lot more interesting than a sub. I think it fits better with your typical work attire as well. No comments worth mentioning on the other stuff you mentioned.

Reactions: Sevenmack
#28 ·
This is pretty much how I feel as well.

The sub is a great, iconic, watch but...kind of boring. The JLC is intrinsically interesting, and where I'd put my cash if I were looking for a keeper.

Either way - if these are your two choices as a 'first watch', I have to say I am jealous and need to change careers asap.

#7 ·
The dicision you make says as much about the watch as the statement the watch makes about you, the wearer. The watch chooses you.

That being said, each are well respected brands. The Rolex being a time tested classic. Brilliant design, execution, and refinement. And even the people who hate the brand and the ubiquitous Sub still secretly want one. But be prepared to see others wearing that same piece, and be forewarned to field questions of "is it real?"

On the other hand, the JLC has an understated elegance. Lesser known amongst the commoners, but very well known by all who appreciate fine time pieces. And not everyone you meet is going to have one. You might have to live to 100 to find another one in the wild. It says, "I could have bought a Rolex, but went this route instead."

For better or for worse, I always choose the road less traveled. And if this sentiment strikes you the same way, you might consider doing the same.

Congrats on your accomplishment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
The dicision you make says as much about the watch as the statement the watch makes about you, the wearer. The watch chooses you.

That being said, each are well respected brands. The Rolex being a time tested classic. Brilliant design, execution, and refinement. And even the people who hate the brand and the ubiquitous Sub still secretly want one. But be prepared to see others wearing that same piece, and be forewarned to field questions of "is it real?"

On the other hand, the JLC has an understated elegance. Lesser known amongst the commoners, but very well known by all who appreciate fine time pieces. And not everyone you meet is going to have one. You might have to live to 100 to find another one in the wild. It says, "I could have bought a Rolex, but went this route instead."

For better or for worse, I always choose the road less traveled. And if this sentiment strikes you the same way, you might consider doing the same.

Congrats on your accomplishment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I agree with this dude!

The JLC is something different! And quit frankly the sub is not dressware!

Sent from paradise!

#8 ·
As this watch represents a milestone event, you may never feel like selling it. The Sub is certainly a great watch to have in your permanent collection. However, some might find it a bit cliché.

That JLC is also a fine choice, perhaps not as versatile for wearing with fine clothes.

There are many threads about "Beach to Boardroom" watches, and I will assume you have read them, and discarded the usual fine suggestions of Rolex Explorer, Oyster Perpetual, Omega Aqua Terra (my choice), etc.

One model I keep going back to is a Vacheron Constantin Overseas with or without chronograph. These are interesting watches from a storied House. Used ones pop up for about $10 to $15K. On the other hand, this may conflict with your future APRO.

Happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
They're both great watches, but to my mind the JLC won't look right with a suit. Not to suggest that the sub pairs particularly well with a suit, but it certainly works better than the JLC. I did seriously consider this particular JLC, but ended up deciding that it didn't perform any of its intended functions in truly excellent fashion (meaning there are better divers and better chronographs on the market). It's got a unique look though, and I wouldn't fault anyone for falling in love with it.

Also worth mentioning in case you haven't tried both on, me and a friend both found the JLC to sit on the wrist a bit oddly.

Reactions: Jabar Braverman
#10 ·
I would definitely get the Sub if your intention is to replace it with a AP Royal Oak.
Have you thought about just buying a used Royal Oak? Since you know that is the sport
watch you want.

#11 ·
I like the JLC... just something different and a real WIS pick. Sub is too common. Interesting that you are not comparing the JLC vs a no-date sub. If you don't care about the date, a no-date sub look better I think. Also.....if down the line you want a RO (excellent choice BTW), i suspect you will want to keep the watch you already have (trust me on this....you will want more than 1). And if so, a JLC chrono on strap + RO 2/3 hander on bracelet makes a much better combo than two three-handers on bracelets IMHO.

#39 ·
...If..down the line you want a RO (excellent choice BTW), i suspect you will want to keep the watch you already have...
This is very likely to be the case if you choose the Sub. And as you'll see, tastes change so that RO may be what you fancy now but in a few years it's almost certain your preferences will have morphed. That said, if you want to preserve your flipping options the Sub is the right choice. Same goes for durability; the Sub, GMT and SD4K are known for standing up to daily abuse. I wore the GMT for years as my only watch and it still looked good as new when it dropped into a multi-watch rotation.

...apart from becoming way too common place, [Subs are] worn mostly by posers...I would have to go Sub...out of the two, but an older Sub...
So I guess you are recommending that the OP be a poser ;-)

May I suggest you a Rolex Sea Dweller 4000 instead. IMHO the sea dweller is tad more balanced than the submariner. Specially the tapered lugs and absence of cyclops...
The SD4K is a very nice alternative if you don't like the cyclops on the 116610.

And finally: I would definitely check out other sources besides Jomashop. Bob's Watches and David SW come to mind, and a thorough search on sites such as watchrecon will help you decide on new vs. pre-worn.

#12 ·
I would lean towards the JLC for two reasons. I prefer wearing a watch with a strap (vs. bracelet) and it having more character IMO. While I appreciate Rolex, I have yet to keep one for very long. My current one is a Milgauss Blue dial. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing either one with a suit. Good luck in what you decide and congratulations on the milestone.

#15 ·
Wish I had this dilemma. In my opinion it's the JLC. Don't agree with those who've said it is less versatile or less well suited to formal wear. Will go every bit as well.

To me the sub is just commonplace. Great quality for sure. But lots of them out there, and lots of others meant to look like them. JLC just has more to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 · (Edited)
Tough call.

The JLC looks great in the flesh, but I can't get over the strap and low water resistance for something called "Deep Sea". If they put the JLC on a bracelet and upped the water resistance, I would be all over it. But if you want to spend that kind of money. Between the two, I would consider the Sub, but the Sea Dweller 4000 over the Sub.

For me, apart from becoming way too common place, and worn mostly by posers, the new Subs and Sea Dwellers are too polished, shiny, attention seeking watches. Great design and quality, obviously, but they have lost their tool diver and yet still refined appeal. Anytime I see someone at the beach or on a dive boat wearing one, they just look so out of place. They have lost their refined but casual quality. The Subs claim to fame, in part, is the ability to be able to pull double duty--jeans and suit. But now I think they look way too dressy to be pulled off as a casual wearing watch. I prefer the older SD 16600.

I like the understated design of the JLC. While it's great to look at up close, it's not screaming for attention. I'm just bummed it doesn't come on a bracelet (..calf skin strap on a diver?), and it only has 100m of water resistance (for something called a deep sea....Come one JLC. Seriously!?)

Based purely on the fact that the JLC only has 100m of wr and a calf skin strap on a watch called a Deep Sea, I would have to go Sub (or SD) out of the two, but an older Sub (or SD).

#49 ·
I considered the JLC Master Chrono but didn't like it in white and did not like the Aston logo on the black version. The GO Senator Chronograph XL and Senator Observer are great but I was concerned that resale down the road would not be great. Do you have any specific suggestions or just an off-the-cuff comment?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Black Watch accessory Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Strap Watch accessory Black

#19 ·
Personal:
Get the sub. If you feel validated by listing the labels above when discussing a watch purchase then Rolex should meet your needs nicely.

#21 · (Edited)
I flipped the sub for a JLC, not that one though and definitely not a reverso.

If you go JLC go MUT.

That said, if that JLC wasn't so big I would vote for it over the sub. But since it is so big I voted sub. The Sub is just sized better despite being so played out and not as good with suits as everyone thinks it is.

#31 ·
Dig your clothes (although given the rest of your ensemble, you should be going bespoke for your suits and shirts :) ).

JLC. It's a far more distinctive watch. Resale be damned - if you lose an extra thousand or whatever on it after 5 years, that's not the end of the world: and besides, you may find yourself keeping it and adding the AP to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.