29 54.72%
  • JLC Deep Sea Chrono

24 45.28%
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: First watch|Daily wearer: JLC Deep Sea Chrono vs Rolex Sub 116610

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

First watch|Daily wearer: JLC Deep Sea Chrono vs Rolex Sub 116610

Hey guys,

I hope everyone is doing well. I am about to make my first watch purchase after reaching a meaningful life milestone. However, I am having some difficulty deciding between two models and wanted to reach out to the forums collective knowledge to help me make a final decision in a better informed way. Understanding that the final decision is subjective and may be based on a number of factors like how you dress (i.e. what garments, what brands [to determine the overall aesthetic]), where you live, etc. , I am including some data points that might be helpful to anyone that is kind enough to share their thoughts.

Personal:
    Weekday dress: suits (Ralph Lauren Black/Purple Label or Thom Sweeney) for client meetings, otherwise trousers and odd jackets. Tend to favor dark colors with no patterns.
    Weekday footwear: loafers (gaziano and girling) or oxfords (crocket and jones). Always black.
    Weekend dress: jeans (mostly black) tshirts and sportcoats (rlbl/rlpl) /leather jackets (saint laurent/iro). Tend to favor dark colors with no patterns.
    Weekend footwear: chelsea boots (Carmina) or sneakers (Common Projects). Black chelseas, white sneakers.

Tie-breaking factors:
    A) Resistance to daily wear - I will only have this watch and will wear it every day in every situation
    B) Versatility - Same as A
    C) Price - For reference, I am buying this for myself
    D) Resale market (i.e. If life goes well and I move up to an AP Royal Oak down the line, how much will I get back) - I am aware Rolex is good in terms of resale but I haven't had much luck determining how the JLC DSC would fair in the second-hand market. Per the WUS forums, it seems that the few JLC DSCs listed have depreciated by a larger percentage than the Rolex Subs. However, there aren't many listed at all and this is not helpful in determining what prices would be at year 5 of ownership.
    E) Pre-owned cost - I am considering purchasing this from JOMASHOP since I have found its pricing to be competitive to that on the WUS forums. However, if I were to consider the second hand market, what should I expect to pay for each?
    F) Is there anything I'm not considering that you think would be worth taking into account?

Option 1

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 3.01.57 PM.png
Views: 723
Size:  133.6 KBName:  Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 3.02.07 PM.png
Views: 705
Size:  49.0 KB

Option 2

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 3.02.57 PM.png
Views: 716
Size:  220.2 KBName:  Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 3.03.52 PM.png
Views: 704
Size:  221.1 KB

Re: First watch|Daily wearer: JLC Deep Sea Chrono vs Rolex Sub 116610

Between the two mentioned, as configured, consider strap replacement costs for the JLC. The bracelet on the Rolex, or pretty much any watch, will outlast several straps. If you don't crank a bracelet down, it should last a long, long time. I have a 15+ yo Sub that I wear a bit loose and the bracelet has no discernible stretch. The JLC strap, or anybody's strap, will wear out.

Second, I would count on the JLC losing more of its value than the Sub. I could sell my sub for a good bit more than I paid for it, but at 5 years would have had to take somewhat of a loss. The reason JLCs don't show up on the selling block so much is that they are a lesser known brand and the folks buying them tend to be buying them for the long haul. I don't plan to sell my JLC Grande Reverso Duo, but then I don't plan to sell my Sub either. My guess is that in 5 years time, when you decide to add a new watch, you may well decide to have a brace of watches rather than sell what you buy now.

In short, between the two watches you have chosen, both are great watches. If you don't want to see others wearing your watch, get the JLC. If resale value is really a driver, get the Sub. If it comes down to the bracelet, I suspect the JLC can be had on a bracelet as well, you might want to check that before deciding. Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jcep View Post

Personal:
    Weekday dress: suits (Ralph Lauren Black/Purple Label or Thom Sweeney) for client meetings, otherwise trousers and odd jackets. Tend to favor dark colors with no patterns.
    Weekday footwear: loafers (gaziano and girling) or oxfords (crocket and jones). Always black.
    Weekend dress: jeans (mostly black) tshirts and sportcoats (rlbl/rlpl) /leather jackets (saint laurent/iro). Tend to favor dark colors with no patterns.
    Weekend footwear: chelsea boots (Carmina) or sneakers (Common Projects). Black chelseas, white sneakers.
    Get the Sub, it's better looking.

BTW, the only words I understood in this whole paragraph were "age" and "jeans"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Due to ubiquity, and therefore acceptability and recognizability, IMO the Rolex will be a better choice as a one-and-only daily wearer. Also, a three-hand design, and a steel bracelet will be more versatile and more durable than a chrono on strap.
    Last edited by 3th3r; March 26th, 2016 at 00:03.
    ------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

No doubt the JLC. It's not ground breaking in any way, but it's a lot more interesting than a sub. I think it fits better with your typical work attire as well. No comments worth mentioning on the other stuff you mentioned.
    Sevenmack likes this.
    Have: Alpina Startimer Classic; Casio G-Shock GDF100/Altithermo; Citizen Navihawk A-T; Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro; Heuer ​Monza; Luminox Colormark & 3000 series; Omega SMPq; Oris Diver Small Second hand date; Rolex ExpII(w) ;Seiko Prospex GMT SUN023P1; Tissot PRC-200; Victorinox Dive Master 500
    Want: Someting dressy; Doxa Sub series

I love the Sub but everyone has it. On one hand this increases resell. On the other it's on everyone's wrist. If I only have one watch to wear I want mine to be different. Both beautiful but I'd go for the JLC.

The dicision you make says as much about the watch as the statement the watch makes about you, the wearer. The watch chooses you.

That being said, each are well respected brands. The Rolex being a time tested classic. Brilliant design, execution, and refinement. And even the people who hate the brand and the ubiquitous Sub still secretly want one. But be prepared to see others wearing that same piece, and be forewarned to field questions of "is it real?"

On the other hand, the JLC has an understated elegance. Lesser known amongst the commoners, but very well known by all who appreciate fine time pieces. And not everyone you meet is going to have one. You might have to live to 100 to find another one in the wild. It says, "I could have bought a Rolex, but went this route instead."

For better or for worse, I always choose the road less traveled. And if this sentiment strikes you the same way, you might consider doing the same.

Congrats on your accomplishment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    TimelessFan likes this.

As this watch represents a milestone event, you may never feel like selling it. The Sub is certainly a great watch to have in your permanent collection. However, some might find it a bit cliché.

That JLC is also a fine choice, perhaps not as versatile for wearing with fine clothes.

There are many threads about "Beach to Boardroom" watches, and I will assume you have read them, and discarded the usual fine suggestions of Rolex Explorer, Oyster Perpetual, Omega Aqua Terra (my choice), etc.

One model I keep going back to is a Vacheron Constantin Overseas with or without chronograph. These are interesting watches from a storied House. Used ones pop up for about $10 to $15K. On the other hand, this may conflict with your future APRO.

Happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bulova 1973 Deep Sea Chronograph "B"
    Seiko 7A38-7100
    Seiko Kinetic Sports 50 SKJ056
    Citizen Skyhawk A-T JY0000-53E
    Omega Seamaster "Skyfall" (blue) Aqua Terra 8500 231.10.39.21.03.001
    Tudor Pelagos Blue 25600TB
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Moon Black Dial SS Q1368470
    Farer GMT Automatic Ponting
    Casio G-Shock GW-M530A

They're both great watches, but to my mind the JLC won't look right with a suit. Not to suggest that the sub pairs particularly well with a suit, but it certainly works better than the JLC. I did seriously consider this particular JLC, but ended up deciding that it didn't perform any of its intended functions in truly excellent fashion (meaning there are better divers and better chronographs on the market). It's got a unique look though, and I wouldn't fault anyone for falling in love with it.

Also worth mentioning in case you haven't tried both on, me and a friend both found the JLC to sit on the wrist a bit oddly.
    Jabar Braverman likes this.
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Annual Calendar | Glashütte Original Senator Observer | Rolex GMT-II 116710 BLNR | Panerai 00524 Flyback | Tudor Pelagos | Magrette Dual Time

I would definitely get the Sub if your intention is to replace it with a AP Royal Oak.
    Have you thought about just buying a used Royal Oak? Since you know that is the sport
    watch you want.
    Current Collection: Breitling Chronomat 44 / Panerai 183 / Rolex Submariner 16610

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information