First watch: Baume & Mercier 8786 or 8735

Thread: First watch: Baume & Mercier 8786 or 8735

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First watch: Baume & Mercier 8786 or 8735

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies for all the questions since quite a few of these threads tend to pop up - I have tried to read through them, but have a few more specific questions. This is essentially my first "proper" watch purchase having recently finished uni, deciding between watches has been rather difficult.

I think I have narrowed it down to the two B&M's above (can't really justify spending much more than 2k), though the Zenith Ultra Thin looks rather elegant as well. Ideally, I'd love to get something like the Omega Deville Hour Glass Vision or even the recent Apollo Soyuz - don't think I'll be purchasing either of those in the near or distant future!

A couple of questions that I would greatly appreciate your opinions on:

Baume & Mercier Classima Executives Mens Wristwatch Model: MOA08786

Baume & Mercier Classima Executives Mens Wristwatch Model: MOA08735

Edit: http://www.gemnation.com/watches/Bau...874-17451.html - some last minute browsing and I'm throwing the 8874 into the mix.

1. Firstly, general impressions on both of the watches - at the end of the day it comes down to what appeals to me, but at the moment they both do! I like the look of skeleton watches and the distinctiveness of the 8786, but at the same time it loses a bit of that timeless elegance of the 8735.

2. What is the resale market for a B&M like? I have read that they don't retain value like an Omega/Rolex, so is there any benefit in purchasing a limited edition like the 8786 for a sizable premium?

3. I'm planning to purchase from a grey market dealer, but I presume so long as I am willing to pay for services then B&M would still repair/maintain the watch? Roughly how much does a routine maintenance check cost?

---

Some quick pictures:
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a251/billbro/2.jpg
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a251/billbro/1.jpg

Love the watch, looking for some more open heart pieces now.
    Last edited by billbro; December 11th, 2010 at 17:26.

Re: First watch: Baume & Mercier 8786 or 8735

I would recommend 8735 since they look almost identical except 8786 revealing mechanism on 1/3 of the face while 8735 gives you date window. Resale market is not that good for B&M, you can always buy any B&M for less than 50% of retail price so don't expect to make profit when you sell it. For maintenance wise, find a skilled watchmaker instead of sending it off to factory it will save you time & money (last time I sent my watch in for service to manufacturer it took almost 2 months!) Like almost anyone from the forum say, buy what you like the most!

Thanks for the response.

Buying any watch, I wouldn't be expecting to make a profit from it because when you take into account inflation, time value of money, etc I would think you still end up behind. With that said, I suspect this will be the start of an expensive hobby and in the event I do decide to sell it to fund a similar watch I would like a better resale value. With that said, not many people seem to like the open heart, so limited edition or not there might not be much interest.

I can't seem to decide which one I like most, which is the problem! Originally I was looking at the Oris Artelier Skeleton, then gradually progressed to the 8786.

I think I will end up with the 8786, will probably end up placing an order today seeing as I've been contemplating for a few weeks now.

One other question, again it would come down to preference - is it worthwhile purchasing a deployment clasp? I've read it places less stress on the strap, but seeing as I'd have to pay for a clasp I can just as easily buy a new strap later on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

to my opinion, deployment clasp is worth every dollar, it will make putting on the watch so much easier not too mention adding a lot less wear on the strap itself. Personal preference but aftermarket clasp can be had for a lot less, just my two cents.

Will try and see if I can pick up a B&M clasp as well, otherwise I'll have a look for an after market clasp at a later point.

I think I've basically settled on the 8786 now, more or less an $750 difference between the 8735 from the site I am ordering it from. Still sizeable, but I like seeing the mechanics/movement and although I won't normally be staring at the case back, it does look a fair bit nicer imo.

Thanks!

8786 sounds like the right choice for you if you started by looking at an Oris skeleton. The 8786 is a beautiful watch. The finish is excellent, great movement with incredible detail and a nice exhibition back to show it off. If you get it be sure to add some pictures here for us to drool over.

Sorry, one final question since my dad gave me a call earlier this morning since he knew I was planning to place an order.

He mentioned I might want to consider an automatic instead, due to durability?

I thought the automatics would be more prone to wear given there are more moving parts involved, but I think he was concerned with me breaking the crown from winding it daily.

Welcome! And, congratulations on your "first" watch!

First instincts often prove best and your initial non-chrono is a beautiful watch.

Acquiring a first watch is a milestone, but don't over-think the decision. If the style is appealing and the watch "speaks to you," that's what's most important. I wouldn't worry AT ALL about mechanical wear and reliability. Watches today are pretty much "bullet-proof."

It's good practice to get them serviced every few years, but watches today are not especially delicate and many go decades without service. I have several watches that are mechanically similar to your Baum & Mercier that are running fine after ten years without service. I'm not recommending you neglect your watch, but missing a watch service is not like forgetting to change the oil in your car.

FYI: My local watchmaker charges $100 for a thorough cleaning and lubrication. It's really not a big deal to have it done every few years.

"Automatic" simply means that the watch is self winding. The motion of your wrist winds the watch. Most of the popular mechanical watches today are "automatic" winding. There's nothing wrong with quartz movements, but watches with mechanical movements have a certain romance. I agree with your Dad that a watch with a mechanical (automatic) movement is the best choice.

Good luck!

piscator
    Last edited by piscator; November 30th, 2010 at 08:02.

Thanks piscator, ended up ordering the BM 8786 just before the Cyber Monday deals ended.

Next watch will probably be a Zenith Royal Portal Open - though not for another few years!

Just wondering how you're liking the 8786? It's on my radar as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information