First Watch - Beginner!
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: First Watch - Beginner!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First Watch - Beginner!

Thinking of treating myself to a nice watch for Christmas and would like some advice.

Really important factors for me is the quality of the movement, prestige of the company and something that retains its value. I came extremely close to getting a non-date submariner last week but now thinking of taking a different approach and looking for something which is less of an obvious choice.

So far really taken by the following, so any feedback on these and suggestions on others in a similar style would be great.

Baume Mercier Capeland
    Chopard Mille Miglia
    Raymond Weil Maestro
    Longines Master Moonphase

Name:  sihh2011_baume-et-mercier_capeland-10005-three-quarter_01.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  60.3 KBName:  chopard-mille-miglia-chrono-3.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  27.5 KBName:  Raymond-Weil-Maestro-Chronograph.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  68.0 KBName:  Longines-1338.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  58.9 KB

I'm also tempted to buy pre-owned and would welcome any recommendations in London to look.

I guess budget is somewhere between £2-3K but would go higher potentially for something amazing.

Re: First Watch - Beginner!

Out of all of these I like the Capeland the best. You should also look at Jaegar LeCoultre watches, truly great timepieces appreciated the world over. See, e.g., JCL Master Ultra Thin.

Following your requirements, I'd say Chopard is your best pick. Followed by B&M, Longines, then RW.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Chopard would be by first pick, but I am unsure about that rubber strap. The Longines would be a strong number 2, because I always favored that particular model. Next The RW because it looks great, and the build quality on these are superb. The B&M doesn't do it for me, and I am a busy dial type of guy. It leaves me flat.

all 4 that you mentioned will not retain value well. Unfortunately, only a few brands retain value well for various reasons. Examples: tag, rolex, omega, patek.

Quote Originally Posted by myoclonus View Post
    all 4 that you mentioned will not retain value well. Unfortunately, only a few brands retain value well for various reasons. Examples: tag, rolex, omega, patek.
    Very true, all with the exception of Tag. They don't hold there value well.

If value retention is a large concern, then the Op needs to reevaluate the range of watches he is looking into, as well as his budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Duder View Post
    Very true, all with the exception of Tag. They don't hold there value well.

If value retention is a large concern, then the Op needs to reevaluate the range of watches he is looking into, as well as his budget.
    +1

The OP may want to stick with the Sub because it meets all the requirements.
    ------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

Welcome! Go for the Chopard.

Banned

Asou, I think it's great that you want to get yourself a really nice watch and your criteria are well chosen. Seeing that you are new to this and that the watches you have chosen are a bit all over the place, you might want to educate yourself a bit more before you shell out 4-5000 bucks, which is no doubt the reason you joined WUS. And you could tell us a bit about yourself and what kind of watch you want for what kind of activity and for what kind of guy. This will help us steer you in the right direction.

One thing that you should know is that mechanical watches require regular maintenance. This can be quite expensive ranging from 300-1000 dollars for relatively normal watches (stuff under $10k retail). On average a chronograph will cost more to service (about double) because it is much more complex. Herein lies the advantage of modular chronos. Lesser service cost but also less prestige. In actual life modular chronos are hardly less useful than the more expensive integrated kind. So these are the kind of things that would be good to know in order to make an informed buying decision. Just fielding a bunch of models and listening to everyone's preferences is not going to make the buying decision a better one.

And if anybody tells you Tag retains its value well, much less to be mentioned in one breath with Rolex and Patek, just don't listen. OK? Even Omega doesn't do really well in that regard. I'd say the top three are Rolex, Patek and Panerai for value retention.

But if you wear it, what good is value retention. Your utility value is what you have to look at really, not the resale value. You only have to think of resale if you either can't afford the watch, aren't ready to spend that kind of money on a watch or if you know you are a flipper, a person who likes the thrill of hunting more than the pleasure of owning or who purchases based on incomplete information and is then disappointed. If that is the case, yes, value retention is important. Otherwise think of utility value.

To determine utility value think of what watch would you actually need and want. What watch could accompany you daily like a partner in crime? Which one would you like to look at still in 20 years? Which one can you afford outright? What are the features you want/need? A recent poll showed that by far the most used complication is a date. Chronograph is far from it. So would you really want a watch without a date like the Sub 14060? Will you really profit from having a chronograph watch? I mean will you use the stopwatch feature? Or are the pure looks of the chrono layout worth the double service cost to you?

That's the kind of thing you should ask yourself. Then come back with the answers and a price range. You will get awesome suggestions guaranteed because the WIS folk here really knows their stuff. But the way your query is set up now, it is maybe not exactly doomed but the outcome is not promising. :)
    The29er likes this.

If you have the means, I'd go for the Longines without hesitation!
    What is it with Rolex and Invicta? Either you hate them or you love them! Can't we all just get along???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information