First watch purchase guidance

Thread: First watch purchase guidance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First watch purchase guidance

I recently ran across this site and it seems to be a wealth of information. I normally do not wear a wrist watch, but have grown tired of digging in my pockets for my cell phone. I have been browsing the internet for several months trying to narrow down my choices, but have had a hard time. I am looking for a quality watch with a max price of $600.
    Luminox is a brand I have somewhat thought about purchasing, but I really don't know much about watches. I suppose the styles that I like would be considered tactical and diver's. Chronographs are nice as well.
    I need something for everyday use, and something that is very durable. The one thing I do want is a watch that is somewhat unique meaning it's not commonly on display at the local shopping mall. Luminox happened to fullfill some of those requirements, but I really don't know if they are good or bad. Then, when I discovered this site, I saw that there are a whole lot of other brands of watches that I like. Some that I remember off the top of my head are Traser, red army, special ops, and many others I can't remember. I really like the appearance of some of what special ops has to offer, but I am concerned about the quality. I don't want some over priced watch that looks good, but is built with cheap components. I emailed them about where their watches are made and I kind of got that feeling that they might have some crappy chinese made parts in them.
    Seiko seems to make something for everyone's taste and they give me the impression that they are a great bang for the buck. The only thing that has kept me from purchasing one is that they are available just about anywhere, but considering I feel I can't go wrong with one I will leave that option open.
    Anyway, if anyone can help me out somehow it would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks,
    -V

Re: First watch purchase guidance

Just keep looking, thats what a lot of us do.

Its unlikely you will settle on just 1 watch, not many fit the bill for all occasions but its good to buy them 1 at a time. at first anyway.

Seiko makes good stuff from good to better to best. lots of choices with the Seiko line up. I have 5 or 6.

With 600$ you could buy at least 2 or 3 Seikos.

Check out the sales forum here for good deals on all kinds of watches.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/

Avoid Invicta like the plague.
    Last edited by Coffeeshopman; December 31st, 2010 at 17:29.

I just spent 600 on a Boschett Reef Ranger. There's serveral other choices I could have made as well new, such as the Helios Bluering, the Deep Blue, Orange Watch Company, ect.

Or you could go for a nice, slightly out there quartz like the Bali'Ha'i Q.

These are all watches from small manufacturers that you will likely never see anybody else wearing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by trackboss View Post
    Seiko seems to make something for everyone's taste and they give me the impression that they are a great bang for the buck. The only thing that has kept me from purchasing one is that they are available just about anywhere, but considering I feel I can't go wrong with one I will leave that option open.
    Anyway, if anyone can help me out somehow it would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks,
    -V
    I just want to comment on your reason for holding back on Seiko. I understand that you don't want an off-the-shelf watch that the next guy will blindly purchase. But most of the Seikos discussed on these forums are not native to the North American market. Thus, they are unique Stateside and purchased mostly by people who actively seek them out, not blindly by any Tom, Dick, or Harry.

And these watches are what are called "gray market," which simply means that it is sold by a retailer that is usually not an "authorized dealer" into a market that the manufacturer never officially sold the watches in. But don't let that scare you away. There are plenty of upstanding sellers on the internet that many of us have bought from with great satisfaction. You can check out the WatchUSeek (WUS) sponsors page for internet retailers here https://www.watchuseek.com/site/sponsors.htm . And the two most popular Seiko gray market dealers are Watches, Seiko Watches, Android Watches, Zeno Watch, Orient Watches, Junkers Watch, German Watches, Automatic Watch and Buy Watch Online, Seiko watches Casio Citizen Watch Mens Chronograph Automatic Diver Kinetic Eco Perpetual Calendar Aqualand Premier Arctura Sportura Protrek g shock Promaster Womens Watches *. Both have received excellent reviews and feedback here on WUS.

* Long Island Watch is an official sponsor of WUS while Creation Watches is not.

Also, keep in mind that there are tons of watch makes and models that are virtually unheard of outside of the collector community if you want unique. Since reading and joining WUS, I now know about many brands that I never heard of before. Once again, don't let lesser known brands scare you away; there is plenty of testimony to the quality and service of some of those brands here on WUS.

Welcome to WUS and good luck with finding your first watch. Do some searching and post pictures of watches you like so we suggest similar watches to look into and ask questions. And enjoy the shopping and browsing and looking at all of your options - that can be the most enjoyable part of the experience of watch ownership.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Quote Originally Posted by brandon
    they are unique Stateside and purchased mostly by people who actively seek them out, not blindly by any Tom, Dick, or Harry.
    Hooah there, I am Harry and I am sure there are Tom and Dick who are also offended by this comment!!

I think Lum-Tech may be something that you can look at since the pricing is just about your league and they are not very common.
    Chronic flipper...

For $600, I'd find a manual wind Hamilton Khaki Field Officer "Mechanical".

Manual wind is tougher than an automatic, it has 100m water resistance, sapphire crystal, and overall represents great value for money, much like most of the Hamilton line. It's on the large side, at 44mm, so if you have small wrists, it might be a no go. This is the kind of watch you could wear everyday and sneak into a suit if need be, so it's a perfect start to a collection, in my opinion.

Handwound watches are also a little more intimate than automatics and quartzes, but that's just my opinion.

Luminoxes are definitely cool watches, but I've read enough to feel wary of some of the quality control issues that I've seen come about. Not sure if I'd want one as my only watch, but I'd definitely pick up a Colormark down the road as a beater watch.
    Last edited by Raza; December 31st, 2010 at 21:33.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

At that price range I would really take a look at Mido watches. They have some very nice designs and to my knowledge are one of the most inexpensive COSC certified watches available. Depending on your requirements you should look at the All dial and Belluna lines (all possess some models with chronometer grade movements). Both lines are 100M water resistant, shock resistant, sapphire crystal, and come on your choice of strap or bracelet. Also, I personally really like the multifort lines, but they are not COSC certified.

They can be seen here: Homepage US | Mido US

All great advice. Thanks!
    One thing that stood out to me was the companies that actually gave good information on their movements. Orange made it clear what they offered. Normally I would steer clear of chinese products, but the fact that they gave detailed info on the optional chinese movement and the more expensive swiss movement gives me the impression that they use a quality chinese product. The special ops I mentioned above would not answer specifically of what components they used yet they demand a price that really should have high quality built in. I think they are just adding profit.
    The seikos offered on long island watch all look great and the price is definately very attractive. The monster seems to stand out.
    Lum-tec I like a few of their models. I'm assuming the Japan Miyot movement is a quality piece as it is used in some of the others mentioned above.
    Deep blues seem comparable to seikos in quality/appearance, but a bit more money. I am however keeping them on my list. They have the swiss ETA movement which I read is limited in availability to watch makers. I have no opinion there as I really don't know much.
    Boschett all seem very nice. To me, they look very similar to omega's and such in the $2k or so price range, but for much less. Is there any improvement gold plating the ETA movement? Is it any better than the Miyota they offer in the lower priced watches? The WUP DWP, although out of my range, would have been cool to have had they not sold out.
    Sorry for all the questions. With so many choices I have a hard time choosing. Most likely I'll end up buying one and looking for another later on. Any watch on my wrist will probably get pretty abused if I wear it all the time doing some of the work I do.
    thanks again!
    -V

Any watch on my wrist will probably get pretty abused if I wear it all the time doing some of the work I do.
    The monster seems to stand out.
    You just answered your own question. And you will have more than enough money left over to get another watch!

Welcome to WISdom.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

First decide if you want quartz or automatic ....

or even hand wound movement. I would also recommend the Bulova Precisionist in your price range. Citizen eco drive are great. Hamilton is big bang for the buck. MKII also. Marathon, O7, Precista and others that have been mentioned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information