First watch: Think I want the H64615135 (Interstellar Watch), but a few questions for a new guy!
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: First watch: Think I want the H64615135 (Interstellar Watch), but a few questions for a new guy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First watch: Think I want the H64615135 (Interstellar Watch), but a few questions for a new guy!

Hi all! First post! (A little overwhelmed by the specificity of all the sub-forums, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place).

So, I was watching Interstellar and I thought "that's a cool watch!", so I've been itching to get one ever since. I've looked at a bunch, and don'e a bunch of internet research (what a rabbit hole that is!). Anyway, I think I've decided on the "Coop" watch. It's going to be my first watch. I don't really dress "formally" (or even business casual; I'm a scientist) all that often, but I'd like something that goes well with a night on the town as well as, say, a job interview. My price range is probably under $2000, and honestly, what I care most about is if I like the styling of the watch (I live by/am in the ocean a ton, and I think in theory I'd appreciate the functionality of a dive watch more so than a pilot watch, but I can't imagine either matters much)

Some questions [that I doubt anyone can answer but me, but i'll feel bad if I don't ask]:

1). Where should I buy the watch? My options seem to be: a). Jomashop ($580 out the door), b). Bloomingdales ($750 total, able to return), c). my local AD, for $740 total, exchange only or d). something else you suggest!

One issue: I haven't actually tried on the watch. I managed to find a local AD that has the white-face version, and I've tried on other black-face versions, but I haven't actually worn this exact watch, which is why no-hassle returns are an issue. I'm 95% sure I'll love it, but you never know, y'know? I'm leaning toward bloomingdales, since they have a 25% Friends and Family coupon going now that works on the watch -- and I can return it if I don't like it -- but i'm open to ideas! Someone mentioned a forum sponsor that people have been happy with (Toppers)? One bummer is that I'm in California, so if I purchased there I'd have to pay sales tax.

2). It's probably worth the extra $180 to avoid grey market, right? The only reason I would think perhaps it wouldn't be is if I get "addicted" to watches and decide to get something much fancier in the near term, and relegate this watch to backup duty, or something of the sort. In that case, it might be nice to save the extra money for something else. But who knows (the only other watches that are of intrinsic interest to me are Omegas, since that's what my dad wore). I'm sure there's lots of grey vs authorized discussion here, but I'm just curious if there's anything about this specific situation that anyone feels is relevant.

3). Is there anything that sort of looks like this -- clean, uncluttered, a little bold but not too ostentatious -- that I may have missed? If it matters, I'm 6'4" and have tried on watches, and 41 is about as small as I'd want to go, I think.

4). Any reason *not* to buy the Hamilton? It's a bit of a bummer that people consider Hamilton to be either the world's best fashion watch brand or the world's worst luxury watch brand, depending on their level of snobbery, but hey, I like it! (I guess my point is, it's too bad that I might uy a watch that's a grand MSRP and not get much "watch guy" cred, but oh well).

Thanks for all your help [in advance!] and I'm looking forward to joining your crazy club!

Re: First watch: Think I want the H64615135 (Interstellar Watch), but a few questions for a new guy!

I've purchased from both Jomashop and World of Watches with no problems whatsoever. Personally, the savings grey market can provide is worth it to me to dodge an AD but your opinion may differ.

Ive had a Hamilton piece before and it was a quality watch for sure. I'm sure other members may have some input but its a great looking watch and i think you'll enjoy it despite not having tried it on.

Either way, welcome to the forum and good luck with your decision!
    Breitling Galactic Chronograph
    Tudor Heritage Chronograph
    Tudor Black Bay Blue
    Nixon Corporal
    Citizen Aqualand
    G-Shock 6900-1289

Re: First watch: Think I want the H64615135 (Interstellar Watch), but a few questions for a new guy!

purchase from Joma but wait for one of their many doorbuster sales where Hamilton is featured. if it matters, the style you're looking at is a b-face pilot..though that particular hamilton is a bit busy with the day-date. Regardless, though, Hamilton is a good brand and you can trust that you're getting quality.

my only advice would be to hang around here for a few days, browse the WRUW threads, and then make a decision.
    Seiko has a really inexpensive Seiko 5 SNK809K2 of similar style and day date for under $70.

Anyway, welcome!
    playinwittime likes this.
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ive handled one of these in the past. Great watches for the money. If the difference in price is so little, i would go with AD. If theres any issues fixing it will cost as much as you save essentially.
    But as for the watch itself, i would rather get the watch mathew mcconahey gave to his daughter. Just so much more attractive and in my opinion better looking. I do think the locations of the day and date windows are a bit strange.

Welcome to the forums! My rule of thumb is that if the savings meet or exceed the cost of a full service, it makes sense to go grey market...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

1. Amazon. At least worth checking. They have the bracelet version for $620, they have a no questions asked return policy, and they do have a 2 year warranty through their own agents. That should be fine for something like this. I think it's a stainless bracelet, yes? For me it would probably be heavy, so I'd go strap.

3. Guaranteed, you have missed them. :) It's rabbit hole leading straight into the Zork caverns. :)

4. I thought that Hamilton was a pretty low-end choice, but you'll find plenty of recommendations for these, or Jazzmasters. I'm chasing down the same rabbit hole, considering a mechanical in about the same price range...but leaning somewhat to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-T0864081605100-Luxury-Display-Automatic/dp/B00C66Y8OK/ref=sr_1_6?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1443503495&sr=1-6&nodeID=6358539011&keywords=luxury+automatic&refi nements=p_89%3ATissot

But that is more conventionally formal than the Hamilton, to be sure. That's something that makes this a maddening, but very entertaining, hobby...the aesthetics are so rich and varied, both in large scale and in subtle ways.

Mmm...one point about that Hamilton. It'll wear reasonably well with a coat and tie; it'll dress down just fine too. The Tissot would look a bit odd with jeans and a polo shirt. :) So I think that style would be fine. I was the computer analysis guy; I got away with dressing less formally even when we presented to some *very* high-level management types. Us brainy types are allowed to get away with it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    Welcome to the forums! My rule of thumb is that if the savings meet or exceed the cost of a full service, it makes sense to go grey market...
    That is an excellent rule of thumb! How do you determine that cost, tho? Call up the maker, or more likely the local distributor?

About question 3. -any other watches like this, I think there are plenty, just search for pilot watches, Laco for example makes many versions of this type of dial in the price range of the Hamilton:

Quote Originally Posted by socalguy View Post
    3). Is there anything that sort of looks like this -- clean, uncluttered, a little bold but not too ostentatious -- that I may have missed? If it matters, I'm 6'4" and have tried on watches, and 41 is about as small as I'd want to go, I think.
    Note that the watch in question wears a little on the large side. It's 42 mm with a thin bezel.

Stowa Klassik Sport B dial

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information