First watch- (Tool Watch) 2824 movement, shock protection question? confused.

Thread: First watch- (Tool Watch) 2824 movement, shock protection question? confused.

First watch- (Tool Watch) 2824 movement, shock protection question? confused.

Hi all,

I have a newb question.

I'm new to watch scene, well.. new to high quality watches.

I've decided to take the plunge and buy a decent piece, originally I was looking at a Tag Aquaracer but I'm not too sure if I can justify spending that amount on my first watch.... Then I stumbled across this Tool Watch on Kickstarter (link: TOOL WATCH - A Tool not a Jewel. by Ted Brown - Berkbinder & Brown — Kickstarter) and as I searched around I found a couple of threads on this site made by the watch creator (Ted Brown / brownie99) asking for feedback on his design, etc. The more I read about it the more I liked the idea of purchasing one of his watches. I liked the idea that I was supporting one man's idea and that this was his first watch he was making and it seems to be of high quality. (Yes, I know it's fairly bulky and may not suit everyone, but I'm still being drawn to it).

The movement he is using is a 2824 (Standard grade) but it uses the Incabloc Novodiac shock protection which from what I've read is only available on the Elabore/Top/Chrono - is this correct? Or is it also available in the standard grade? I thought it may possibly be a modified standard but then more I read about ETA and the whole Swatch debacle the more I thought it probably isn’t modified. Though I do notice the 2824 movements available from Otto Frei use the Incabloc Novodiac shock protection but it makes no note of the grade. So confused right now.

Anyone have any insight into this? I am probably completely wrong and have just confused myself (I'm new!).

Anyway-- I've learned more about watches/movements in the past 48hrs then I ever thought I'd need to know and I can't wait to start collecting a few nice watches.

And Ted, if you’re reading this, (Hi!) I'm looking forward to your watch and nice to hear about the sapphire glass.

From the Kickstarter page:
    "THE MOVEMENT - is an automatic (selfwinding) ETA 2824-2 and the date is @4:00. It is Swiss, made with 25 jewels with Incabloc Novodiac shock protection. This movement is a workhorse and the movement of choice in many luxury watches selling for multiples of what the TOOL WATCH will retail for."

Thanks,
    Ash.
    Last edited by novedl; September 5th, 2011 at 19:54. Reason: highlighted the query

Re: First watch- (Tool Watch) 2824 movement, shock protection question? confused.

i watched the video and i am impressed. I can't accurately comment on the movement except to say that ive found my watches to be very sturdy, they've copped some terrible knocks (my seamaster was flung through the air, smashed into my car door, left a dent, then hit the concrete...it flew off my wrist when i threw a honkey nut at a noisy crow..bloody crows..) and they all still function perfectly. I guess what im trying to say is most movements are pretty tough and will withstand daily use without much trouble.

At first i wasnt sure of the design of that watch, but i like it.

As for the amount you spend on your first watch, if you don't buy what you want because of money, you'll regret not getting it. Obviously within reason, you should get the watch you really want, and not be too worried about an extra few hundred bucks, or even a $1000. If you -can- afford it a bit down the track, just wait a bit longer to get it :)

Happy shopping mate

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: First watch- (Tool Watch) 2824 movement, shock protection question? confused.

Re Novodiac: Incabloc's "economy" spring is the Novodiac that is three lobed and looks similar to the KIF "Trior".

Some info re ETA 2824-2

ETA movements are available in different grades which have some impact on their performance. The performance differences are the big differences between the various grades: ("The limit values are subject to interpretation: 95% of the pieces delivered in a lot must be within the specified limits.")

Standard:
    2 positions (CH, 6H)
    daily rate: +/-12 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 30 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 20 sec

Elabore:
    3 positions (CH, 6H, 9H)
    daily rate: +/-7 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 20 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 15 sec

Top:
    5 positions (CH, FH, 6H, 9H, 3H)
    daily rate: +/-4 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 15 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 10 sec

Chronometre:
    As per COSC specifications, which as far as most owners will notice, isn't much different from Top grade.

The "material differences" are:

Standard and Elabore:
    Mainspring - Nivaflex NO
    Shock protection - Etachocs
    Pallet stones - Polyrubies, Epilame-coated
    Balance - Nickel gilt
    Balance staff - Epilame coated
    Collet - Nivatronic
    Hairspring - Nivarox 2
    Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable

Top and Chronometre:
    Mainspring - NivaflexNM