First-World Problems** - RLX v PNR v JLC v CTR
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First-World Problems** - RLX v PNR v JLC v CTR

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First-World Problems** - RLX v PNR v JLC v CTR

Well hello all! Just wanted to get some insight into what you thought between these watch buying options. I plan to make a purchase within the next month or so on one of these most likely at an AD (peace-of-mind & present during purchase).

First off, I just wanted to say I'm grateful, blessed and have been patient in being able to even afford one of these gems. I'm a 33 yr-old male that typically dresses casually; but does appreciate (once-a-week or so) spicing it up with a well dressed outfit and style. Don't get to wear suits much (San Francisco, tech industry), but I think wearing a distinct and mature timepiece is a good mark on a man/woman ... hence why I'm here for some advice. Personality wise, I'm a fairly mellow fellow (designer) that really finds charm in not having the same thing that everyone else has, and enjoys distinctive accents that selective people can notice, but not necessarily call-out - if that makes any sense. I won't attest that any of my selections below are terribly distinctive, but I'm not able to creep into the A.Lange & Patek range any moment soon.

I have a 7.25 inch wrist and as some reference, I already have a lovingly worm Panerai Luminor Marina PAM 70 (40mm, Blue face, brown beaten leather strap - pure joy).

The options thus far are:

Rolex Explorer II 216570 (42mm, polar)
    Rolex Explorer II Watch - Rolex Timeless Luxury Watches

Rolex Datejust 116234/116234
    Rolex Datejust Watch: White Rolesor - combination of 904L steel and 18 ct white gold
    Rolex Datejust Watch - Rolex Timeless Luxury Watches

Panerai Luminor PAM 523
    Luminor Marina 1950 3 Days Automatic PAM00523 - Collection 3 Days - Watches Officine Panerai

Jaegre LeCoultre Grande Reverso Ultrathin Duo Face (white or blue-boutiqu edition)
    Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Duoface | Luxury watches | Jaeger-LeCoultre E-boutique
    Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Duoface Bleu | Luxury watches | Jaeger-LeCoultre E-boutique

Cartier Tank MC (white)
    Tank MC watch - Automatic, steel, leather - Fine Timepieces for men - Cartier

Attached should be a few shots of the timepieces on my wrist at various Ads in the Bay Area.

Thanks in advance for your spirited advice and once I pick, I'll post pics. Much appreciated.
    (Or should I just save the money, get a vintage Explorer, and stroll forward:))
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: First-World Problems** - RLX v PNR v JLC v CTR

Either Rolex...Waterproof and cool enough to wear with anything.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

As much as I'm a Pam guy,I'd go for Exp II or Reverso

The DJ is a bit too 'old' for 33 yrs old IMHO

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Given your under-cover but noticeable by the other "watch guys" I am voting the JLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Synequano View Post
    As much as I'm a Pam guy,I'd go for Exp II or Reverso

The DJ is a bit too 'old' for 33 yrs old IMHO
    I'm pickin' up what you're putting down. I feel as though the DJ can be added to the collection a few years down the road as well.

First off, welcome to the forum.

The Explorer II would be my choice, but it's a little more rugged.

If you wanted dressier then I'd go JLC.

That particular Datejust would be considered blingy with the two tone, jubilee bracelet, and fluted bezel. It may be exactly what you want, but I'd caution you as it seems a little out of place with the rest of your choices.

A vintage Explorer, as you suggested, (or modern one) would be a great all around watch.
    Last edited by cedargrove; January 8th, 2014 at 19:26.

My vote goes to the Explorer, Rolex but not one of the usual types that too many people wear just because somebody told them it's cool.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

This is definitely a contest between the Exp II and the Reverso for me.

Rolex does sport watches to perfection. However, I feel two-tone metals detract from the purity of a sport watch - so I'd rule out the date-just. Plus, as someone who's a bit more laid back, I think it might portray too stodgy of an image, while the Exp II is basically the definition of cool, laid back, sophistication.

Between the JLC and the Cartier - I would definitely go JLC. Cartier may have invented the Tank style watch, but JLC absolutely hit it out of the park with the Reverso. They're called the 'watch makers watch', for a reason. They're movements have been found in watches costing far more than they do.

The Panerai is nice. For sure. But it doesn't speak to me the same way that the Exp II does - they're both casual watches with a sophisticated edge - I just think the Rolex does it a little better.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

I'd pick the Reverso personally.

Since you get your kicks from being individual, you're much more likely to run into someone else with a Rolex so I'd rule both out for that. Duplicating with another Pam doesn't make much sense so that leaves the Tank and Reverso. The contemporary Cartier pieces interest me more so if I was going Cartier I'd be looking at something from the Calibre de Cartier range.

http://assets.cartier.com/sites/asse...?itok=zp2dlTcj

The Reverso is a classic design, and in the even you do meet someone with the same watch, just reverse it!

THS

My vote goes to the Reverso.
    Omega Marine Chronometer cal 1516
    Omega Speedmaster Professional cal 861 (ca 1970)
    Kemmner Flieger type A
    Citizen Nighthawk (black)
    Citizen ana-digi Promaster ca 1987 (beater)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information