Fitness tracker vs. Smart watch

View Poll Results: Which is the type of wearable you might be interested in?

Voters
8. This poll is closed
  • Smart watch type device with other functions

0 0%
  • Fitness/health tracker type device with other function

2 25.00%
  • Neither

6 75.00%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BarracksSi

Thread: Fitness tracker vs. Smart watch

Fitness tracker vs. Smart watch

Right now Google, Apple, Samsung and other companies including startups are jumping into this new loosely defined category of devices.
    They can all tell time but depending on the focus of the device, the design is very different.

What is the type of a device that you want?

This is not about the name of the device or about judging the markups that designers have come up with.
    This is about the category of the device you would rather buy.

"Smart watch" category: a wearable device that replaces watches and has additional functions such as tracking various parameters

vs

"Fitness tracker" category: a wearable device that does NOT replace watches, but instead belongs to the new category of fitness devices, which also has some other functions such as tracking additional parameters

Which is better for you?
    Last edited by shnjb; June 22nd, 2014 at 04:00.
    newb watch collector/high-end watch admirer

Re: Fitness tracker vs. Smart watch

Third vote! ;)

I voted "Neither". I'll explain...

I've got a beastly fitness tracker in the guise of a Garmin GPS watch. It tracks location, pace, and heart rate, and can give me beeps for interval training or for warning me to stay in a particular HR zone. Strapped to my bike, it can give me cadence, too. It spits all of that data online where I can view all of those parameters. However, it won't give me VO2, and I'm not sure if it'll give me wattage from a power meter. ;)

It's pretty rad, and I hardly use the danged thing anymore. The last time I used it was for a 3-mile timed run, and I'm not sure whether the "virtual partner" (helps keep a given pace) or staying ahead of a younger kid helped me run my fastest time ever. I just don't care about all the data that it gathers. I could use all those things if I were getting paid to shave tenths of a second off my times, but I'm not. I can see my fitness gains in the number of reps I do, the run times I get, or the weights I can push. I can see my weight on a scale.

I see those fitness tracker bands on some people at work. One of the guys notes how cool it is that it tracks his sleeping patterns. I don't want one.

Smart watch? No. Well, not yet, anyway. What I like about my conventional watch (solar-atomic as it is) is that it's simple. It's got one job, and it does it well. I also don't have to recharge it like I do my Garmin.

What would tip me towards a smart watch? A few things:
    - Clear display
    - Painless navigation (this is where the Garmin fails miserably)
    - No need to plug it in (IMO, this includes wireless charging -- you have to plug the charging pad into something, right?)
    - Durable like a regular watch (100m WR or better)
    - Understands what it can't do because of its size, power demands, or whatever
    - Doesn't look stupid

Nobody's gotten it right yet.

However...

Even if all those requirements are met, and even if they're surpassed in a grand manner, I rather enjoy having a piece of throwback technology on my wrist, preferably my dad's vintage automatic.
    Ottovonn likes this.

Based in South east asia, travelling between

I envision Smart watches in the future will have fitness trackers.
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    I envision Smart watches in the future will have fitness trackers.
    Yeah I agree.
    But I'm sure people like us would prefer to wear mechanical watches most of the time.... Which is why it would be nice if these fitness trackers would stay discrete and not look like watches.

I had a fitbit, wore it for a few weeks, now I can't find it. It was somewhat useful in tracking my steps and activities. I could live without it though, unlike a nice watch on my wrist.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    I had a fitbit, wore it for a few weeks, now I can't find it. It was somewhat useful in tracking my steps and activities. I could live without it though, unlike a nice watch on my wrist.
    Yeah I lost my jawbone UP too.
    These damn things need locator.

Quote Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
    Third vote! ;)

I voted "Neither". I'll explain...

I've got a beastly fitness tracker in the guise of a Garmin GPS watch. It tracks location, pace, and heart rate, and can give me beeps for interval training or for warning me to stay in a particular HR zone. Strapped to my bike, it can give me cadence, too. It spits all of that data online where I can view all of those parameters. However, it won't give me VO2, and I'm not sure if it'll give me wattage from a power meter. ;)

It's pretty rad, and I hardly use the danged thing anymore. The last time I used it was for a 3-mile timed run, and I'm not sure whether the "virtual partner" (helps keep a given pace) or staying ahead of a younger kid helped me run my fastest time ever. I just don't care about all the data that it gathers. I could use all those things if I were getting paid to shave tenths of a second off my times, but I'm not. I can see my fitness gains in the number of reps I do, the run times I get, or the weights I can push. I can see my weight on a scale.

I see those fitness tracker bands on some people at work. One of the guys notes how cool it is that it tracks his sleeping patterns. I don't want one.

Smart watch? No. Well, not yet, anyway. What I like about my conventional watch (solar-atomic as it is) is that it's simple. It's got one job, and it does it well. I also don't have to recharge it like I do my Garmin.

What would tip me towards a smart watch? A few things:
    - Clear display
    - Painless navigation (this is where the Garmin fails miserably)
    - No need to plug it in (IMO, this includes wireless charging -- you have to plug the charging pad into something, right?)
    - Durable like a regular watch (100m WR or better)
    - Understands what it can't do because of its size, power demands, or whatever
    - Doesn't look stupid

Nobody's gotten it right yet.

However...

Even if all those requirements are met, and even if they're surpassed in a grand manner, I rather enjoy having a piece of throwback technology on my wrist, preferably my dad's vintage automatic.

Indeed, none of the current smart watches come close to meeting my WIS demands. I like digital watches as well, but I prefer their old, reliable tech to smart watches that require regular firmware updates, weekly battery charges, and the possibility of tech failure. I came close to pulling the trigger on a Garmin myself, the Tactix, but realized that it does a lot of stuff that I don't need. I just thought it looked cool. But the coolness factor is outweighed by a bunch of tacticool stuff -- numerous GPS maps, HALO jump measurements, etc -- that a desk diver like me will never need.

But most importantly for me, an attractive smart watch will need to be first durable (not G-shock tough, but tough enough to wear without worry), power efficient (solar powered preferably), and look sexy in design ( with a high contrast and legible screen).

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by shnjb View Post
    Yeah I lost my jawbone UP too.
    These damn things need locator.
    Mine is somewhere in the house. I have a USB sensor thingy attached to my computer. It sends out an email indicating when the battery's running low. I received that email last Friday, so I know it's close by.

Otto

I use my smartphone. I might try Google's implementation of the smart watch when it gets here. The previews I saw from them using a Motorola device seemed well integrated with your phone. I like Samsung but their smart watch does nothing for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thread Information