Flipping watches as gifts: Fair play or faux pas
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Flipping watches as gifts: Fair play or faux pas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Flipping watches as gifts: Fair play or faux pas

I started getting into watches shortly after getting married. Saint that she is, my wife decided that a watch would make the perfect anniversary gift. As our budget was fairly tight, we set our sights on something affordable and landed on the Obris Morgan Pradata.

I'm now at the point where I'd like to streamline my collection a bit, and allocate the funds towards a larger purchase. I'd ordinarily look to part with the OM, but I know that selling my first anniversary gift would crush my wife.

Thus, I feel that the best strategy going forward is to caution the wife against purchasing a watch a gift (at least, anything unflippable).

Anyone else encounter this issue? What are your thoughts on flipping gifts?

Re: Flipping watches as gifts: Fair play or faux pas

Given the pricepoint/trade in value of the Obris Morgan I don’t think there is much ROI in flipping it. Keep it and cherish it as an anniversary gift. If it were a watch at a higher price point sit down with your wife and discuss it. Bring her in on the decision to flip and what watch to replace it with. I think both you and your wife will be happier in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    BillSWPA likes this.

I think you got it right to say that the best option is to suggest no more watches as gifts. Just explain it tactfully about how your tastes change over time - although you won't see the OM for sentimental reasons it would be better for her not to get you any others.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The amount you'd get from selling the Obris definitely isn't worth flipping it! I would hold onto that given it was a special gift from my wife.

That said, it sounds like you have a very supportive watch-wife! Maybe she'd be interesting in joining you in the hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife and I long ago reached an agreement where neither of us bought the other anything expensive as a "surprise" gift--for big purchases, we simply talk about what we are interested in, figure if we can do it or not, and buy it accordingly--for birthdays and other times, we give each other much simpler, cheaper gifts--the thought that counts--everyone's happy.
    rfortson and LosAngelesTimer like this.

Unflippable.
    rfortson and Louie777 like this.

Your thread title confused me. I see that you're actually asking about flipping watches that were gifts. To me, that's a big NO, especially for gifts from the wife. You have the correct response, and that's to just let the wife know that your watch tastes change so often that it would be hard for her to pick a watch you like, unless you two confer about it before purchase.

BTW, pro tip - the 15th wedding anniversary gift is traditionally a watch. My wife and I gifted each other Seiko 5's (I got a Monster, she a world time bezel watch). She told me again the other day how much she likes the Seiko 5 because it shows the day and date (she'll lose track of the day sometimes). Makes it a little hard because she has a milestone birthday coming up (and it's our 20th anniversary) and I wanted to get her a nice watch (Omega, probably) and have it engraved. But I fear it won't compete with the Seiko 5. She's too practical for this hobby!

I sold a watch my wife bought me as a surprise gift before we were married. It was sitting in its original box in our closet for over 10 years. Too small for me and she didn't want to wear it, so I told her I was selling it. Two days later it was sold. Wasn't a big deal, but my wife is pretty cool.

Keep the anniversary present. And in general, flipping a gift is a faux-pas, unless the gift-giver has consented to the idea (not necessarily the following acquisition).

And as others have said, the financial incentive is near-null to sell.

Edit: Forgot a relevant anecdote. Wife wanted to get me a watch just because. I had been scoping out a quartz Slow watch, they are highly customizable, and offered in a variety of places (direct, Amazon, etc.). So, I too the time to detail the exact interpretation that I wanted, and my wife ordered the wrong watch. I was ready to keep it, suck it up etc. But like a good trooper, she realized the mistake, we put it back in the post, and the desired watch arrived in the mail a little while later. That's not even flipping, but just returning a gift to get a like replacement. While that watch doesn't get any wrist time, it's still an awesome piece with a warm and fuzzy feeling attached to it.
    Last edited by RuggerAl; August 21st, 2018 at 22:51.

I would keep the anniversary gift and move on down the road. Reserve a flip for something you have no attachment too. Especially if it came from the wife.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information