Focus on what to build a collection?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By mvmt

Thread: Focus on what to build a collection?

Focus on what to build a collection?

IMO focus can only be a good thing when thinking about starting a collection - but focus on what, a brand or a theme? What is best for the beginner. Appreciate all views. Having to like what you buy is a given for me. What do you think?

Re: Focus on what to build a collection?

Focus on patience. There is no rush to buy a single watch let alone amass a collection. Too often people rush in and buy 10 watches upon discovering that wrist watches exist and are interesting.

You might be interested in Tony's thread if you haven't read it yet: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/disc...s-1462882.html

One thing I learned is to know my dress style and buy watches that suit my usual casual dress style.

If you're not sure what to focus on (I sure didn't know when I started to like watches), browse around the different forums and sub-forums to see what you like.

Depending on the type of person that you are, what you like changes over time too. Unless one has money to burn and/or is willing to flip watches, I think it's best to stay away from high-end watches (or even buying a watch) until one has a solid idea about what one likes. Agree with mvmt about patience.
    Last edited by rdoder; January 24th, 2015 at 07:03.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Focus on what makes you happy
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

I'm a little surprised this question didn't elicit a greater response. I see the point in Tony's thread, but don't agree with it as a starting point for me and you may not either.

Now, if you are like me and will begin collecting watches because you like them and intend to wear them then searching for watches that fit in your life and wardrobe is the first logical step. I find that beyond activity specific watches like the one I wear when running or camping, I really only regularly wear 5 watches and change them based on attire. I tend to sort by strap color and level of dressiness: dress brown, dress black, casual brown, sporty black, and a big fun watch.

Spend some time trying watches on and figure what sizes you prefer. I don't personally favor large watches, but it is fun to have one and knowing your max lug to lug width will help when choosing larger models.

I would take the advice given above and take the time to read lots of threads and browse lots of watches to find styles that really speak to you. Once you find styles you like it is worth looking at others in each genre before settling on the one you want. I don't generally focus complications because I prefer simple legible dials. I do tend to focus on the history of the brand, model, style, movement, and unique features. I don't think it is uncommon to take particular pleasure in details of your watches that are entirely incomprehensible to people that don't share our peculiar obsession.

Watches can be had for a bargain from a great variety of vendors. I like to get a deal as much as the next guy, but take time to research the source of your watches and choose models (at least the first few) where you find reviewers raving about the quality. Pay more if necessary to purchase from a reputable seller. Watches don't need to cost a lot, but they do need to be well made and finished. You will not enjoy poorly constructed/flawed watches for long. I have been an enthusiast for about a year and this has become very apparent to me during that time.

Here's a few things I find particularly off-putting: Poorly finished cases, easily scratched crystals, hands (or bezels) that don't line up, sloppy movements where the time changes easily as you push the crown in, poor quality straps (although this is easily corrected generally), hands where they don't finish the edges and you can still see how they were cut from the frame they were made on.

Once you reach that point I think you will find that your collection will tend to take on a theme because your preferences will become more defined. I can't say for sure what my theme is, but I do tend to mentally rule out watches I otherwise like because I know they just won't "fit" in my collection. A lot of words; hope it helps some.
    Last edited by MNskito; February 6th, 2015 at 08:03.
    The latest we are going to be is five minutes early.

Quote Originally Posted by mvmt View Post
    Focus on patience. There is no rush to buy a single watch let alone amass a collection. Too often people rush in and buy 10 watches upon discovering that wrist watches exist and are interesting.
    This is going to be the best advice you'll get. Please -- for the love of all that is decent in this world -- listen to it.

I wish I would have.
    Seiko: GS Snowflake, GS SBGM 029, Alpinist Omega: Speedy 3573.50 Zenith: El Primero 1969 Pequignet: Rue Royale Moon Phase Jorg Schauer: Edition 12 Chrono
    Hamilton:
    Khaki Field Auto Halios: Tropik B Zeppelin:; 100 Jahre Chronograph Orient: Blue Mako

Thread Information