Forced to break up w/ Seiko & move on from this Watch Collection, Enthusiast and Hobby of mine.
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Forced to break up w/ Seiko & move on from this Watch Collection, Enthusiast and Hobby of mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Forced to break up w/ Seiko & move on from this Watch Collection, Enthusiast and Hobby of mine.

I got into Dive watches through Seiko SKX007. Even since I've bought and sold tons of watches. But now i'm at a point where don't see myself moving along with Seiko. Let me explain. But before i move along i'd like to state my wrist size which is 6.75 inch.

IMO Skx007, 009, 011 size is perfect for my wrist and i'm comfortable with it's size appearance on my wrist. The skx013 is great too but the lug to lug distance is really long almost close it's big brother skx007 in lug to lug comparison. So it defeats the purpose of trying to wear it as a midsize watch. IMHO the citizen NY2300 is great example a truly mid size watch as it's lug to lug distance is really short and wear really well like a midsize watch was intended too. BTW the case size of Citizen NY2300 is 1mm larger than the SKX013 on paper.

As a watch collector, enthusiast and/or hobbyists you want to enjoy the journey of your watch experience as time goes on by moving up slowly to the higher tier of what the brand has to offer. So then comes the Seiko Monster. Sold my Monster Gen 1 coz i didn't really dig the yellow lume color and also the min markers on the dial. Beside that the movt also was non hacking and non hand winding. I still have my Orange Monster Gen 2 and i love it. Even though it's larger in specs on paper when comparing to the SKX007. It wears really well due to its short and small lug design. So i was able to pull it off comfortably. And I have no complaints on it. Beside the usual Seiko bezel misalignment and playback.

Moving along I got the Seiko SRPA21 the regular turtle. On paper the specs was big numbers when compared to the SKX. But with its cushion case. It gave it a low profile and So I was comfortable with its size even though I was really pushing it with my wrist size. I wish Seiko had kept the original specs and not make it larger. I sold the SRPA21 solely coz the dial wasn't that mesmerizing as it appeared on images. I felt more like cheated what the watch dial. The dial was like 2 to 5% close to what it appeared on the images. Coz it need bright light hitting it at certain angle at certain time of the day when the sun is really up. The thing was not realistic.
    So i just got the Mini Turtle in Padi version 2 weeks ago. The size is great. I hate that weird nonsymmetric U shaped hour markers reminds me of the new Christopher Ward logo at 9'o clock. Then there there is this round cyclops which i cant stand. It's so off looking and I don't feel comfortable when looking at it. Its like again this new Christopher Ward logo at 9'o clock. I have nothing against cyclops. It has utility and it serves well at it but why not curved U shaped around cyclops like you find on most of the watches with cyclops. Like the cyclops on the Monster Gen 3. I would have been very happy with that cyclops.

I got the Seiko Samurai Save the Ocean. I love the Samurai case design and the Save the Ocean dial IMHO Hand down it's the best of Seiko dial so far. But I wish Seiko had kept the original size and not made it larger. Here is why coz Samurai case design makes it appear larger then it really is on the paper. As it specs is close to turtle but appears larger then turtle with its flat lugs before it falls sharp makes it appear larger. So I'm not comfortable wearing it even though the specs are similar to the regular turtle.

Now finally i moved along with Seiko Sumo with all its praises on its finishing. Those praises do hold true. But the lug to lug distance is so long. I'm just not comfortable wearing it at all.

It seems to me that Seiko watches just get bigger as i go up their tier. I love the Monster and i wanted to get Baby tuna but guess what Seiko decided to make it larger from 47mm to 51mm. After purchasing the Sumo I really want to purchase MM300 but its large too. Grand Seiko is even larger. Love the Tuna but MM Tuna is quartz plus i don't like the lollipop second hand and it doesn't have raised dial. I don't get Seiko larger and larger watch fad. But I'm just not riding it. Thus I felt that this relationship was great but I don't see myself going any further. So i felt the need to break up as i couldn't continue this path of unhealthy relationship. As it goes against my value and lifestyle. So I'm not riding this "Everything Big" movement/culture.

You may ask why am i being so hard on Seiko. Well i tried Casio MDV106 its quartz and wear really large. I prefer mechanical watches. I'm just not digging recent Citizen dive watches. And finally Orient watches are low profile dive watch with curved bezel and bezel inserts. It looks more casual dive watch. Not digging that look. So i sold by Orient Mako and gave away the Orient Ray. I thought i found the perfect watch brand when i came across Christopher Ward but that went out the window when they changed their logo from Chward to Christopher Ward at freaking 9'o clock position. Such a turn off. My eye hurts when i see their new logo in its new position. Then there are Steinhart and Squale which i consider more as Homage brand. So that's not happening. So my option is really down to nothing at this point.

So moving on i'd probably mod a Seiko Skx with the Save the Ocean Dial and Sumo Dial. Keep the Monster Gen 2 the way it is. If i decide to keep the Mini turtle I might replace its Second hand with the Monster Arrow Second Hand or better yet the Sumo Second Hand. Also might get rid of the cyclops. Then I will probably sell rest of the collection and put in some cash and get myself a luxury watch in the future. Like Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso in 38mm or below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by juice009; August 23rd, 2018 at 03:26.

Re: Forced to break up w/ Seiko & move on from this Watch Collection, Enthusiast and Hobby of mine.

As I was reading your post I thought you were working your way to a SLA017 / 62MAS. Not feeling it?
    IG: watchtimepassby

Re: Forced to break up w/ Seiko & move on from this Watch Collection, Enthusiast and Hobby of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jimanchower View Post
    As I was reading your post I thought you were working your way to a SLA017 / 62MAS. Not feeling it?
    LOL.. That was funny. But on a serious note. I'm sorry but i just don't get carried into this Limited Edition marketing and sales.
    Last edited by juice009; August 23rd, 2018 at 04:17.
    Munchie and Synequano like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You've purchased a lot of watches you don't like. Since your main reason for parting ways with Seiko is the size of the watch, I'm curious why you bothered to buy them in the first place. Did you expect a 51mm watch to wear smaller? By all means, stick with watches that fit your wrist better, but you might want to either try them on first or simply establish a size limit. You live in NYC, which gives you easy access to just about any watch available before you buy.
    juice009 likes this.

It's not often you get to see neuroses written out so clearly

Quote Originally Posted by juice009 View Post
    LOL.. That was funny. But not a serious note. I'm sorry but i just don't get carried into this Limited Edition marketing and sales.
    Actually LE aside, the SLA017/62MAS is a beautiful watch, nearly identical to the original and is small enough to suit you. Maybe put aside whatever objections you have and check one out.
    juice009, islands62 and Synequano like this.
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee1 View Post
    It's not often you get to see neuroses written out so clearly

And in at least three different forums.

Seriously dude, are you just looking for attention or what?

unmarried? just a guess.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

Quote Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
    And in at least three different forums.

Seriously dude, are you just looking for attention or what?
    More like trying to increase the probability of getting more possible responses that would hopefully increase the chances of solving this dilemma. You have the right to your opinion but dude if it's negative and has nothing to do with this post (non productive comment or response) then keep it to yourself.
    Last edited by juice009; August 23rd, 2018 at 05:42.

No dilemma here.

Sell all watches (except one maybe), keep out of WUS, stop worrying and obsessing about watches, live a happy life. Done.
    San Martin Damascus Radiomir
    Aevig Huldra 2
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    No dilemma here.

Sell all watches (except one maybe), keep out of WUS, stop worrying and obsessing about watches, live a happy life. Done.
    Lol.. No offense but you spoke it like a elder person with little to no interest in watch. But then again i see you have 5892 post. That's way more than me. So by looking at just your post no i'm definite you have interest in watches.

Which watch is the one i shouldn't sell. I agree about WUS. I'm really interested in knowing your collection from what you're speaking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information