Fortis Auto Flieger VS German Fliegers?

Thread: Fortis Auto Flieger VS German Fliegers?

LH2

Fortis Auto Flieger VS German Fliegers?

Two part question...

First, I'm curious about the opinion here on WUS regarding non-German Fliegers. Is there anything wrong with not being made in the fatherland?

Second, I like the look of the Fortis Auto Flieger quite a bit and wonder how it compares, quality-wise, to Fliegers from Archimede and Aristo for example. The Fortis costs hundreds of dollars more - but is it really a better watch? Or are you simply paying for the Fortis name?

Most Fortis watches seem more expensive than the Auto Flieger. Did they cut corners on this model, or is just due to the simplicity being non-chrono and lacking all but a date complication?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Fortis Auto Flieger VS German Fliegers?

Quote Originally Posted by LH2 View Post
    First, I'm curious about the opinion here on WUS regarding non-German Fliegers. Is there anything wrong with not being made in the fatherland?
    Nothing wrong with a swiss Flieger.

Second, I like the look of the Fortis Auto Flieger quite a bit and wonder how it compares, quality-wise, to Fliegers from Archimede and Aristo for example. The Fortis costs hundreds of dollars more - but is it really a better watch? Or are you simply paying for the Fortis name?
    I own two Fortis Flieger but most are out of german production like Laco, Archimede and Stowa.

As far as I am concerned I would prioritize any Flieger without a date, no imprints on the dial and a hacking hw movement. You can´t have it all (well - you can ). My first choice would be a Stowa or Laco, second Archimede (best value for the money). Fortis would not be one of my favourites.

Most Fortis watches seem more expensive than the Auto Flieger. Did they cut corners on this model, or is just due to the simplicity being non-chrono and lacking all but a date complication?
    Usually all chronos with swiss movements are more expensive than a three hand watch of the same make.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thread Information