This forum is challenging me
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: This forum is challenging me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hello WUS,

This is my first formal post on these forums. I have browsed this forum intermittently for the past 4 years, but just recently registered. I am 24 years old and working towards obtaining my MBA. My real love for watches started about 4 years ago, but I just looked at them and didn't worry much about remembering models until I stumbled upon the Omega Deville Hour Vision Blue Orbis. What a BEAUTIFUL watch! Doing a google search on it was the first time I bookmarked a page from WUS - and it has remained bookmarked since:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ome...vy-558912.html

What a gorgeous post.

Furthermore, I found myself in a watch store (Mayors) in the Mall shortly after. I couldn't afford the price tag on the Hour Vision, but I sprung for a nice little TagHeuer after I was easily sold (silly me) on a "hefty discount". I received a Tag Heuer Calibre 5 Link with a price tag of $2800 for around $2400 out the door. I wore out the "honeymoon phase" and grew displeased with it within a year. The more models and watches that I found myself perusing on WUS, the more I felt silly for splurging $2400 - what I later felt was an overpayment on my part.

I sold my watch on eBay less than 2 years after originally purchasing it for $1499 and scooped up another Tag (a Carrera Automatic) for $741. I felt like I got a great deal on it - and after taking it in to my local jeweler for a cleaning and polish, the watch came out looking like a million bucks. I feel like I will keep this watch for the rest of my life and it will always have a sentimental meaning to me as I waited patiently for a great deal and scooped an awesome looking watch (I really like simple and clean).
    Here is a photo I snapped today:

I am currently looking to add another watch to my collection, but would rather keep saving and being financially responsible, rather than splurging on something impulsively. I don't make THAT much money, but would prefer to save up and put a large sum of money into a watch that I will really love (such as a Submariner or Blue Orbis) rather than buy a similar looking Seiko, when I will always desire the higher one. I feel like in that scenario the Seiko would be a wasted purchase (I'm an economics major - I think in terms of dollars so much it might be to my detriment).

Here are a few models that I have ABSOLUTELY fallen in love with and I would scoop them in a heartbeat given the financial opportunity to do so:

Numero Uno
    IWC Aquatimer 2000
    Pictured here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...ow-819080.html
    I drool over that thread everyday. Good god, that watch may not be for everyone, but that watch is FOR ME!

Numero Dos
    Speedmaster Day Date
    Pictured here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/sol...-a-815690.html
    I see he sold it today. Beautiful watch!

Other honorable mentions:

In closing, I want to thank this community for opening my eyes and furthering my education on these beautiful timepieces. I hope to be a contributing members for a long time to come and to post many of my future purchases on these boards. If any of you are looking to offload any well-kept pieces that resemble those listed above, please keep me in mind. Your garbage could be my treasure ;)

If you have managed to read my post down to here - first of all, thank you. But, would you mind sharing the single most coolest thing you have learned about a watch from these forums (a particular model, brand, movement, etc.)

Thanks all! Have a wonderful evening.

-Rob

PS: Well, I got to typing and completely forgot about my subject. This forum is challenging me because I cannot keep browsing the For Sale and Public Forums and smashing the F5 button. I don't know how some of ya'll keep up with it all :)
    Last edited by XeroZeus; February 20th, 2013 at 07:53.

Re: This forum is challenging me

Welcome Rob!

As another young watch guy I must say its super hard browsing the forums without any significant income to be able to spend on watches (still a student). Im saving up slowly, but surely towards my first luxury purchase and can't wait till I finally have a luxury timepiece on my wrist after drooling over others everyday on here.

I can't say there's a single coolest thing I've learned on here. It seems everyday I learn something new, I've discovered a few brands I'd no doubt never know existed without this forum (RGM, Dornbleuth) and a couple that I might not ever have found out about (Sinn, Nomos etc.) so that's cool. When I joined WIS, I had a passion and interest in watches, but didnt actually know a whole lot about the industry or watches themselves. After coming on here consistently for a few months I can say confidently that I'm a full fledged WIS!

Anyways, you won't regret joining, it's a great place to talk about a relatively rare hobby that you might not be able to discuss with your friends and coworkers, with people who know a lot about the topic!

Welcome, I'm looking forward to your contributions in the future!
    Last edited by Mr. Panerai; February 20th, 2013 at 09:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Panerai View Post
    Welcome Rob!

As another young watch guy I must say its super hard browsing the forums without any significant income to be able to spend on watches (still a student). Im saving up slowly, but surely towards my first luxury purchase and can't wait till I finally have a luxury timepiece on my wrist after drooling over others everyday on here.

I can't say there's a single coolest thing I've learned on here. It seems everyday I learn something new, I've discovered a few brands I'd no doubt never know existed without this forum (RGM, Dornbleuth) and a couple that I might not ever have found out about (Sinn, Nomos etc.) so that's cool. When I joined WIS, I had a passion and interest in watches, but didnt actually know a whole lot about the industry or watches themselves. After coming on here consistently for a few months I can say confidently that I'm a full fledged WIS!

Anyways, you won't regret joining, it's a great place to talk about a relatively rare hobby that you might not be able to discuss with your friends and coworkers, with people who know a lot about the topic!

Welcome, I'm looking forward to your contributions in the future!
    What are you looking forward to buying for your first luxury timepiece and how do you arrive at JUST one?! :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome!

I've had my eye on the hour vision as well. It's a stunning watch in person. It's seems like you really love it so you should save to get it. Even if it means saving for a few years. You will love that much more for having out in the work.

It took me 5 years to save up the money and courage for my first luxury watch. I have many more that are more expensive now, but my only true keeper is the one I had to work the hardest for.

One thing I've learned, and like, about this community is the lack of pretense among its members. There's plenty of expert advice and haute-horology eye candy, but also a refreshing "hey, if you like it wear it" vibe.

Run while you can. Your bank account will thank you later
    Appljaxx likes this.

Hello and welcome Rob!

The coolest things that I've learned from WUS are

(a) There is a Russian watch industry, that makes really interesting watches still, and made really interesting watches for the last 50 or so years. Many are very beautiful; many are very rugged; and (almost) all are great values for what you get. They may not be your taste, but it has been a fun mini-collection for me. Check out the Russian forum.

(b) There are a bunch of smaller brands selling really nice watches for way less than the big guys. And sub-$1000 watches can be really amazing pieces. My Steinhart Marine II Roman, ~$500 (a big watch purchase for me) is a great example. Someday I'll own a Stowa, probably a Christopher Ward, and a Prometheus
    Attachment 979824

Attachment 979823

(c) Don't count Seiko out, particularly the 'Grand Seiko' line. Most of their designs aren't for me, but they have world class fit and finish, and they're pioneers of automatic watch design.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f304/gr...01-520835.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/gra...-e-656336.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/gra...71-769232.html

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

There are ways to enjoy interesting watches without spending a fortune. Spend some time in the vintage forum, or in the Chinese mechanical watch forum. There is some stuff of real, legitimate horological interest that can be had for south of a coupla hundred bucks.

If your interest is in the prestige of a nice watch that is generally acknowledged as such, then you really do have to save your pennies. But if you are into the mechanical aspects of watches, or the history and traditions, there are lots of inexpensive ways to pursue it.

If even that stuff is too much, check out the Affordables forum.

It is said that the first things that car salesmen look at are shoes and watches, when assessing their mark...er...customer. So, do you want to impress car salesmen, or do you just want to have fun?

As for me, for the first, I have been doing a little of both. But I waited a long while to have other responsibilities taken care of sufficiently to make playing with watches that cost four figures possible. Watches in the five figures are still way beyond my reach, but not my interest.

Rick "there is always a bigger fish" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

I agree with perdendosi, seiko was never on my radar until this site. Now I have 4 including my beater and a spring drive. They are truly one of my favorite brands.

They have a ton of models. Many are awesome, many are not. Seiko has some thing nice in everyone's price range.

Have fun with the details. Pretty soon you will be spotting models across a restaurant.

Wait a few years and you face the real challenge. The 'explaining to my wife why i need another watch' challenge.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information