Forum Favorite Chronograph Movements
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Forum Favorite Chronograph Movements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Banned

The top three I see most often recommended in these pages are Omega Speedmaster Professional (Cal 1861), Zenith El Primero (Cal 400 and variants), and Breitling Transocean Chronograph (Cal B01). A recent thread mentioned the Rolex Daytona (Cal 4130) and I have wondered before why it is rarely mentioned in these pages when modern chronographs are discussed? More popular is Omega Cal 9300.

I have three. A Speedy Pro and two others powered by ETA/Valjoux 7750 variants.

Which are your favorite chronographs? Pros and cons? Pics are welcome.

To start it off a poster recently said Lange and Patek chrono movements are fragile. The Lemania 5100 had a reputation for being robust. What have your experiences been?

Omega Speedmaster Professional, Sinn 757 UTC, Chronoswiss Lunar Chronograph
    H2KA and smuggled_sheep like this.

Re: Forum Favorite Chronograph Movements

Well, one of my favorites is the F. Piguet 1185 used in Vacheron's Overseas chronograph and the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

And in the higher end stuff, A. Lange and Sohne, Patek, Roger Dubuis all consistently make superlative movements.

I like the 1185 because of the refinement to the touch of the pushers. It is not too heavy (medium light) with a sense of precision machined hard metal. And the seconds counter never jumps or hesitates when started. Other movements like this that I have played with are the Roger Dubuis and the new Rolex in house. I've never played with the Lange or a Patek.

My JLC Diver is not as precise, and a little hard to push (but it is a purpose build field watch), but the second hand always starts smooth. The El Primero seconds hand seriously jumps or hesitates when started. The 7750 is hard to push, feels brittle /sloppy and the seconds counter jumps and pauses when started, but it ranks with the best in durability, is capable of COSC certification, easily modifiable, and widely serviceable.

One of the objectives in my watch collecting is to own more than one fine chronograph movement, limited by my tastes. Lange and Patek do not appeal to me. Roger Dubuis does, and after playing with one on my cruise, it may be an imminent purchase.
    Last edited by Gary123; February 17th, 2013 at 21:41.
    marchone, huntershooter and H2KA like this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

I'd imagine the most common here (ownership-wise) would be the 7750. I don't know enough about it, or any others, to comment though I'm afraid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Daytona is just out of reach of most people here.

If I were going to buy a non-exotic chronograph movement, it'd be either an El Primero, Omega 9300 or a Grand Seiko 9R86, all for different reasons but they're all very high performance.

El Primero needs no justification. I like the 8500 series of movements and like how uncluttered the 9300's dial is. The GS just does everything all the time. But it's basically the price of a Daytona.
    marchone, TimeSaver and eliz like this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I'd imagine the most common here (ownership-wise) would be the 7750. I don't know enough about it, or any others, to comment though I'm afraid.
    The most common, and the most maligned if only because it is produced by ETA. I've posted links to several articles on it. It is reliable, accurate, durable, and easy to service, and inexpensive. The latter is the often the source of its disparagement in the more expensive casings.

Here's a cool one. The Dodane Type 21 powered by the Dubois Depraz Calibre 42021.

I wish I had something more useful to add, from a technical stand point. I have the SMP chrono (caliber 1164), Speedmaster Pro Moonphase (1866), Zenith El Primero (400 cal), and my Ebel 1911 (137 caliber). All have been great watches and chronos. It's hard for me to comment on the robust character of these watches, because even though I realize watches are meant to be used, I tend to baby them so they don't get much abuse. The feel and quality of these watches have been fantastic. My only criticism, if any, for my chronos have been as follows:
    Zenith - I wish it hacked, but the accuracy, build and quality are top notch.
    Speedmaster Pro - overall accuracy is not as good as the others, but it makes up for it in other ways.
    SMP - thick, but makes me feel manly (lol)
    Ebel - slightly less contrast of dial, so not as easy to read at a quick glance, but I don't mind spending a second or two longer to admire the beauty and finish.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    The Daytona is just out of reach of most people here.

If I were going to buy a non-exotic chronograph movement, it'd be either an El Primero, Omega 9300 or a Grand Seiko 9R86, all for different reasons but they're all very high performance.

El Primero needs no justification. I like the 8500 series of movements and like how uncluttered the 9300's dial is. The GS just does everything all the time. But it's basically the price of a Daytona.
    All good points. The 8500/9300 is undoubtedly excellent but I balk at its thickness. I expect to travel to Asia around May or so. I will make a point of visiting a Seiko Boutique or two when I can and revisit the Grand Seiko line in person. There are GS models produced that are not distributed here.

The 7750 and its variants are timeless and virtually indestructible. If they go down, they are easily fixed. I'd say that is the best chrono movement in my opinion. If you go exotic, I'd say the factors that make it important for that kind of money are COSC, a quick date change, a vertical coupling clutch, hacking feature, and a terrific power reserve. With that you need not look much further than Breitling's B01 or 04.

I also think the Omega 9300 is very good. Of course Rolex 4130 is great for what it does as well.
    Last edited by Dienekes; February 17th, 2013 at 21:14.

Only 7750 variants for me

Attachment 976209

Attachment 976210

Attachment 976211

Attachment 976213

With the exception of this very special one(due to its history in my heart)

Attachment 976219

I'm obviously not a movement guy!
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Because of the ubiquity of the 7750 I find affordable alternatives interesting: Perrelet use a 2892 with a DD module which is cool. Easier (therefore cheaper - surely?!) to service, I gather?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information