Fossil: How good is it?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Fossil: How good is it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fossil: How good is it?

Hello everybody!
    I'm very new to this forum and a total newbie to watches in general. (Keep that in mind as you read )
    I'm currently looking for my first watch. I've had a digital Casio for a bunch of years now and want to get something more... traditionnal (Analog, if you want)
    So as i've been looking around, i have ran across "skeleton" watches a few times and instantly fell in love with this type of design. But, a few google searches later, i noticed that my wallet probably wouldn't have enough money in it to finance a true Swiss-made Skeleton watch. But on the other hand, i didn't want to buy some chinese-amazon brand either... But then i discovered a watch that seemed to just fit perfectly in my price range (200-300$), taste and quality expectations;
    The Fossil Townsman.
    Here's a look on the piece itself:
    https://www.fossil.com/us/en/men/wat...u-me3043p.html
    if the link doesn't work, here are some images:
    Name:  ME3043_main.jpg
Views: 2874
Size:  94.3 KBName:  ME3043_1.jpg
Views: 2858
Size:  85.6 KBName:  ME3043_2.jpg
Views: 2853
Size:  54.9 KB
    So, while looking around on this forum, i found out that Fossil was considered to be a "Fashion" brand, and not as a serious watch brand.
    My question now is: As an amateur not very interested in having the best possible mechanical movement and who wants mostly just have a beautiful watch that yet has a respectable quality, is my choice good?
    And how is fossil in general quality terms?

Note: I've also took a look on the Swatch Body&Soul, and it's nice too. Yet, i'm looking for a watch with a band, and not a bracelet, so that one doesn't suit me very well.

Hoping to find somebody who can help me!
    PS: I'm Swiss (Yes a swiss person who buys chinese watches... what a sacrilege ) so excuse any english mistakes :)

Re: Fossil: How good is it?

Welcome to the addictive world of watches. Just a quick FYI, I tend to type "[search inquiry] watchuseek" into google as a first round of info gathering to see what's been discussed. For example:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/fos...es-342468.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/fos...ty-314238.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/can-...nt-948797.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f386/ad...nd-682606.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/fos...tc-644453.html

Anywho,yes, Fossil watches amount to "Fashion watches." Fossil also happens to be responsible for many other fashion brands including Burberry, DKNY, Emporio Armani, Armani Exchange, Columbia Sportswear, Diesel, Frank Gehry, Karl Lagerfeld, Tory Burch, Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Callaway Golf, Davis Cup, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Skagen Designs, Michele and Adidas.

For about the same price, you can get a forum-vetted Sea-Gull Skeleton watch. It is a Chinese watch company but it is a Chinese watch company that isn't pretending to be Swiss and is actually producing quality pieces.

not my pic
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger

+1 on the Seagull----beautiful watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Fossil are very good watches. They are a fashion brand but also a real watch manufacturer which, as stated in a previous post, manufactures for many of the large well known fashion brands.
    If you like the Fossil, it will be a good reliable watch. In fact, Fossil offers an 11 years warranty on their watches in the US.

having said that, between the two watches above, I would myself go for the Sea-gull which I think looks much nicer.
    CARTIER Santos - CARTIER Chronoscaph - CHARRIOL - ORIS - FREDERIC CONSTANT - TISSOT - BULOVA - MOVADO - SWISS ARMY -- VOSTOK - BOTTA DESIGN - KS - ALPHA - MERGIR - JUNKERS

Thank you all for the quick replies!
    The Sea-gull does look pretty good in fact... I'll make my decision between these two i think.
    Thanks for the help and have a nice day!

Unfortunately, the sea-gull seems to not be available in europe, so i'll probably go with the Fossil.

The whole Fossil thing aside, I'm turned off by all that dead space around the movement. If it's a skeleton I want to see the beautiful movement not a window to my wrist skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lovebandit, Davidka and chowmanfu like this.

I think the old Fossil watch tins are more collectable than the watches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pallet Spoon and luth_ukail like this.

I would go for the Seagull instead too, though I'm not a big fan of skeleton watches.
    "At the end of your life, you won't regret the watches that you bought, but the ones that you haven't."

There are much better options in that price range. Seiko, Orient, and Sea-Gull would be great shouts. If you must have a skeleton watch, you would be better off with this: Sea-Gull M182SK skeleton watch, the best combination of price, fashion design, quality in terms of reliability and accuracy

Instead of a mystery Chinese movement of unknown source, grade, or accuracy, you will be getting a Sea-Gull movement directly from the manufacturer, which has a reputation for placing very accurate movements in their own branded watches. It's also cheaper.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information