Found an Accutron at an auction.

Thread: Found an Accutron at an auction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found an Accutron at an auction.

Last night at an auction, I bought an Accutron 214. Dated M7

They had this and an older Timex and a Waltham and a few other watches. Nobody wanted choice for $5, so it was any two for $5. I snatched an Accutron 214 for $2.50!

When I got my first look at the back, I had no idea what the funny little ring was, but now I know it's to set the time.

I opened the battery hatch, and it had a crusty "Union Carbide 387" battery in it. I now know I need a 387S. I'll try to find one today to see if this watch works. In through the hatch, I can see it is the tuning fork movement.

It has a crappy leather band and the face is scratched, but not really bad. There is something on the dial, I can't tell what, that would really ruin the appearance of the watch. I have not yet tried to unscrew the ring to remove the back because I am not sure how the time setting mechanism attaches to the movement, but it must just come off no problem if the "c-ring" is down, correct? If I did remove the back, would I be able to remove the the mechanism to see if the something on the face would come off?

Anyway, I am excited to have a 214 and I am hoping when I pop in the battery, it starts humming! I'll keep you posted.

And yes, sometime I will post my Longines and other photos.

Gary

Re: Found an Accutron at an auction.

I'd seriously recommend you getting the accutron serviced before popping in a battery. The oils have probably gummed up and when you power it on, the coils will get insane current trying to get the movement running, potentially burning them out

I considered your advise, GarageBoy. I paid $2.50 for it and if it disappeared today, I'd be out 2.50 plus a battery. If I got it serviced then found out that it was junk, I'd be out hundreds. So I went ahead and found a battery and put it in. After a little tap to get it going, it started working and humming right along. It seems to keep time!

Why did I get it for $2.50? Is it not worth anything? Seriously, it's an Accutron!

So, now I need to decide if I want to fix the dial. The "something" on the face appears to be corrosion through the dial causing the finish to flake up. I thought it could be acid from a battery, but it is not by the battery, it is under the setting mechanism or close to it.

I can't really figure out the spring bars or whatever you call the little rods that hold the straps. They don't appear to compress or rotate. The band hooks around the rods and can slide right on or off.

Anyway, I'm happy to have a working Accutron!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    I'd seriously recommend you getting the accutron serviced before popping in a battery. The oils have probably gummed up and when you power it on, the coils will get insane current trying to get the movement running, potentially burning them out

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, there are plenty of guys looking for a good set of coils and will pay for them, so don't blow them out!
    Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
    Last night at an auction, I bought an Accutron 214. Dated M7

They had this and an older Timex and a Waltham and a few other watches. Nobody wanted choice for $5, so it was any two for $5. I snatched an Accutron 214 for $2.50!

When I got my first look at the back, I had no idea what the funny little ring was, but now I know it's to set the time.

I opened the battery hatch, and it had a crusty "Union Carbide 387" battery in it. I now know I need a 387S. I'll try to find one today to see if this watch works. In through the hatch, I can see it is the tuning fork movement.

It has a crappy leather band and the face is scratched, but not really bad. There is something on the dial, I can't tell what, that would really ruin the appearance of the watch. I have not yet tried to unscrew the ring to remove the back because I am not sure how the time setting mechanism attaches to the movement, but it must just come off no problem if the "c-ring" is down, correct? If I did remove the back, would I be able to remove the the mechanism to see if the something on the face would come off?

Anyway, I am excited to have a 214 and I am hoping when I pop in the battery, it starts humming! I'll keep you posted.

And yes, sometime I will post my Longines and other photos.

Gary

Exellent!

Congrats on a cool score!

Live auctions are great. I've picked up lots of excellent watches at auction...once got a solid 14K mens Longines in a box-lot...$5, plus the 10% of course!

Quote Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
    I considered your advise, GarageBoy. I paid $2.50 for it and if it disappeared today, I'd be out 2.50 plus a battery. If I got it serviced then found out that it was junk, I'd be out hundreds. So I went ahead and found a battery and put it in. After a little tap to get it going, it started working and humming right along. It seems to keep time!

Why did I get it for $2.50? Is it not worth anything? Seriously, it's an Accutron!

So, now I need to decide if I want to fix the dial. The "something" on the face appears to be corrosion through the dial causing the finish to flake up. I thought it could be acid from a battery, but it is not by the battery, it is under the setting mechanism or close to it.

I can't really figure out the spring bars or whatever you call the little rods that hold the straps. They don't appear to compress or rotate. The band hooks around the rods and can slide right on or off.

Anyway, I'm happy to have a working Accutron!

Gary
    A functioning Accutron for $5.00 total investment is great! The corrosion is likely from the battery even though it isn't nearby. The fumes remain concentrated in the closed environment of a watch case so they may have gotten into a weak spot on the dial. And some now dry chemicals may have dribbled down. A re-dial that looks halfway decent will cost somewhere around $100.00 and may lead to other work. So you have to think long and hard about whether you want to open the door to restoration.

Post a picture!!

Quote Originally Posted by timesofplenty View Post
    Congrats on a cool score!

Live auctions are great. I've picked up lots of excellent watches at auction...once got a solid 14K mens Longines in a box-lot...$5, plus the 10% of course!

Wow, that's great. I am having no luck getting a photo, but I'll work on it.

My Accutron keeps terrible time. It looses about 20 seconds per day. It should be lots more accurate, right?

I am not sure about how the setting mechanism works... can I remove the back without issues so I can get a look inside?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    A functioning Accutron for $5.00 total investment is great! The corrosion is likely from the battery even though it isn't nearby. The fumes remain concentrated in the closed environment of a watch case so they may have gotten into a weak spot on the dial. And some now dry chemicals may have dribbled down. A re-dial that looks halfway decent will cost somewhere around $100.00 and may lead to other work. So you have to think long and hard about whether you want to open the door to restoration.

Post a picture!!

Ok, here is a photo.

I also include a garage sale Bulova. The photo really brings out the imperfections. The corrosion on the hands of the Bulova is a problem. But they both work!

Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, let's try again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information