Found the perfect cheapo for my needs, but...
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Brianetta
  • 1 Post By Ottski44

Thread: Found the perfect cheapo for my needs, but...

I've found several reviews that say the friggin crown falls off The Timex Expedition Scout!

As I do not yet have a watch addiction, I just need an everyday, low maintenance watch that I can throw a Maratac Mil Series strap on and a leather strap when I need it for dress.

That Timex fits my needs perfectly. I like the idea of popping of the back and tossing in a new battery. I like the style. I like Indiglo. I really like the military time. I like the price. I obviously do not like the idea of the friggin crown falling off. I also don't like that it is coated brass (the stainless model they have also has a review that says the crown falls off).

I just want a cheap watch with that military/scout style that is easy to maintain. Pop off the back - replace a battery. Those are the watches that I remember from my youth. They lasted forever and took the beating that a young kid could dish out.

Any recommendations? Anyone own that Timex that can tell me differently? Maybe a certain bad-luck production run on those Timex's?

Thank You.

edit: I joined earlier this year to inquire about the Citizen 8180 that I ended up buying. It crapped out just last week and they want $85 to fix it. Not happening. I paid $75 for it.
    Last edited by mrmouth; October 21st, 2014 at 01:50.

Re: Found the perfect cheapo for my needs, but...

I have a Timex a little like that one (mine has a white face, and a tiny crown guard). It was bought for me. If I was buying for myself, I'd be tempted to spend an extra $10 on this: Amazon.com: Seiko Men's SNK809 "Seiko 5" Automatic Watch with Black Canvas Strap: Seiko: Watches

Of course, this isn't as accurate and has no Indiglo. It is robust, though, and it's mechanical which makes it so much cuter.

That was of course a watch I considered when I was shopping the Citizen 8180. I wanted low/no maintenance.

I mean for $50, do people really take that Seiko in every few years for maintenance?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No. They just keep on going.
    domoon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmouth View Post
    That was of course a watch I considered when I was shopping the Citizen 8180. I wanted low/no maintenance.

I mean for $50, do people really take that Seiko in every few years for maintenance?
    Been owning an SNK for about 5yrs now, never had it serviced. Still ticking well, no battery change, zero maintenance.

*pic taken a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by wtma; October 21st, 2014 at 03:53.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006
    ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATEJUST 36 126234-0025 (GRAIL)
    JAEGER-LECOULTRE GRANDE REVERSO ULTRA THIN DUOFACE Q3788570 (GRAIL)

Doubt it. I'd guess most people wear them until they break, then throw them away. That's what I'll probably do with mine - or maybe take it apart!
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

I've found several reviews that say the friggin crown falls off The Timex Expedition Scout!

As I do not yet have a watch addiction, I just need an everyday, low maintenance watch that I can throw a Maratac Mil Series strap on and a leather strap when I need it for dress.

That Timex fits my needs perfectly. I like the idea of popping of the back and tossing in a new battery. I like the style. I like Indiglo. I really like the military time. I like the price. I obviously do not like the idea of the friggin crown falling off. I also don't like that it is coated brass (the stainless model they have also has a review that says the crown falls off).

I just want a cheap watch with that military/scout style that is easy to maintain. Pop off the back - replace a battery. Those are the watches that I remember from my youth. They lasted forever and took the beating that a young kid could dish out.

Any recommendations? Anyone own that Timex that can tell me differently? Maybe a certain bad-luck production run on those Timex's?

Thank You.

edit: I joined earlier this year to inquire about the Citizen 8180 that I ended up buying. It crapped out just last week and they want $85 to fix it. Not happening. I paid $75 for it.
    There are two reviews out of 32 on the link you posted that were negative, and they offered no explanation as to why the problem occurred. It looks like a great watch for the price, I'm curious as to why you discounted the positive reviews?

Just be careful about the size of the SNK. At 37mm it can look a bit in the small side to some folks. I couldn't get used to it, but loved the watch. I'm in the market for the "big brother" SNZG, but it does come in closer to the $100 range and might not fit your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tanatron likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace McLoud View Post
    There are two reviews out of 32 on the link you posted that were negative, and they offered no explanation as to why the problem occurred. It looks like a great watch for the price, I'm curious as to why you discounted the positive reviews?
    Also one on REI, and another couple on other sites for that particular model. Counting the two other models in the same family with several reviews stating the same, it makes for a noticeable failure percentage involving the crown simply coming off. Some snagged on clothing threads, with others simply falling off days after the watch was first set. Clearly some QC issues.

Anyhow, I got some useful answers on another site.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by mrmouth; October 21st, 2014 at 07:50.

Anyhow, I got some useful answers on another site.
    Care to share whatever it is you found out for others who may read this thread?
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Thread Information