Franck Muller inspired watch on a budget
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Franck Muller inspired watch on a budget

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Franck Muller inspired watch on a budget

Hello,
    New member here.

I was wondering if somebody could help me out with something..
    I am in the process of becoming a qualified football (sorry, soccer) coach so my budget for a wrist watch is pretty low as most of my income goes into this.

I am a big admirer of Franck Muller, i find his watches to be amazing. I especially like the 'Casablanca' which is often worn by soccer manager Andre villas boas.

I would love nothing more than to purchase this watch but my budget will not stretch that far at present. What I was wondering is if there are any other watches out there that were inspired by this particular watch? I'd like to keep this under £1000 though (without looking too tacky, the lower the better)

I have been looking at a number of Tissot watches including the Porto Heritage watch - Tissot Porto Heritage Watch | T66.1.617.52 | Hillier Jewellers

Basically any suggestions or advice/help at all would be appreciated. Regards;
    /N

Re: Franck Muller inspired watch on a budget

Check out the Frederique Constant - Art Deco, FC-235M3T26

As to Francesco Muller inspiring anyone, to me that is somewhat of a joke.

Haha, I'm not really an expert when it comes to watches. It's not so much the watchmaker, it's more a certain watch design/shape that I admire.. I am assuming it is okay to post photos? This is the particular watch that has "inspired" me somewhat

Name:  avb.jpg
Views: 3253
Size:  29.9 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There's an old joke as to why Franck Muller uses the tonneau shaped case so much, "it's shaped like his head".
    Quote Originally Posted by nd1985 View Post
    Haha, I'm not really an expert when it comes to watches. It's not so much the watchmaker, it's more a certain watch design/shape that I admire.. I am assuming it is okay to post photos? This is the particular watch that has "inspired" me somewhat

Name:  avb.jpg
Views: 3253
Size:  29.9 KB

My first mechanical was an FM homage by WM Switzerland. I wore it through college and until it was stolen in spanish harlem. I loved that watch
    http://www.wmswitzerland.com/en/product.asp?id=8

I had one like the one in the link, but in black.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    There's an old joke as to why Franck Muller uses the tonneau shaped case so much, "it's shaped like his head".
    I was actually unaware that it was known as a "tonneau watch", this has helped a lot. Thank you.

Just to clarify, I know absolutely nothing about watches, I just like to wear them. I am considering ordering a Davosa divers watch now though but again - thank you for your comments.

I know nothing about Frank Muller, but best of luck on the coaching job!

Rolex 114060
    Zenith El Primero

For me, the most iconic aspect of the Franck Muller watches are their crazy jumping hour complications.

There are some inexpensive chinese made homages with this functionality, see for example,

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Jumping Crazy Hour Automatic Steel Watch - IF64 New | eBay

Probably not a long term keeper, but it seems like a fun watch to play with, in addition to a Tonneau shaped watch from a more reputable watch company. Given a choice between the Tissot you posted and the watch posted by Mendel272, I strongly suggest you go with the Tissot. The WM of Switzerland watch is a chinese made watch rebranded with a fake European heritage, and you can get a similar watch for a fraction of the price from the two eBay sellers I listed above.

For one thing, the WM watch is not a tourbillon, rather, it is an open heart watch, which simply has an exposed balance wheel. No self-respecting watch manufacturer will advertise an open heart watch as a tourbillon, so I would avoid this company altogether. It is most certainly not worth the EUR 395 asking price.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Had a couple of those Crazy Hours in pre-own 6 years ago, that is a watch you'd quickly lose interest in.
    Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    For me, the most iconic aspect of the Franck Muller watches are their crazy jumping hour complications.

There are some inexpensive chinese made homages with this functionality, see for example,

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Jumping Crazy Hour Automatic Steel Watch - IF64 New | eBay

Probably not a long term keeper, but it seems like a fun watch to play with, in addition to a Tonneau shaped watch from a more reputable watch company. Given a choice between the Tissot you posted and the watch posted by Mendel272, I strongly suggest you go with the Tissot. The WM of Switzerland watch is a chinese made watch rebranded with a fake European heritage, and you can get a similar watch for a fraction of the price from the two eBay sellers I listed above.

For one thing, the WM watch is not a tourbillon, rather, it is an open heart watch, which simply has an exposed balance wheel. No self-respecting watch manufacturer will advertise an open heart watch as a tourbillon, so I would avoid this company altogether. It is most certainly not worth the EUR 395 asking price.

Not a 'homage', a knockoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendel272 View Post
    My first mechanical was an FM homage by WM Switzerland. I wore it through college and until it was stolen in spanish harlem. I loved that watch
    WM of Switzerland

I had one like the one in the link, but in black.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information