Freshly serviced watch went from accurate to erratic in 2 weeks?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Freshly serviced watch went from accurate to erratic in 2 weeks?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Freshly serviced watch went from accurate to erratic in 2 weeks?

I had a Mido All Dial Chronometer serviced by a trusted watchmaker and worn it since for about two weeks.
    Within that time, it ran about - 3 seconds per day, which I find very respectable.

I took the watch with me oversea, set the time again on the plane 2 days ago, and it's been running +25.5 seconds per day! (today it hit +
    I'm not sure what happened. Personally I'm ok with +25.5 per day, but how did my watch went from -3 to +25.5 in such a short period of time?

The watch is not magnetised or exposed to any common killers. It's not knocked or anything close to that (I worn it on my wrist on the flight).
    Could it be temperature? The watch was serviced in a tropical country with temperature around 30C, and now I'm back to a dried and cold environment with the temperature at around 15C.
    Other than that, I'm not sure what else...

Re: Freshly serviced watch went from accurate to erratic in 2 weeks?

A sudden increase in rate is often a flag that the watch has been magnetized. How do you know it's not magnetized?

Some airport scanning technologies utilize equipment that generate magnetic fields. Did you pass through or in close proximity to a millimeter wave body scanner at airport security? Those operate in the microwave spectrum, which means there's a magnetron in that scanner creating a magnetic field.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

Quote Originally Posted by angrypossum View Post
    I had a Mido All Dial Chronometer serviced by a trusted watchmaker and worn it since for about two weeks.
    Within that time, it ran about - 3 seconds per day, which I find very respectable.

I took the watch with me oversea, set the time again on the plane 2 days ago, and it's been running +25.5 seconds per day! (today it hit +
    I'm not sure what happened. Personally I'm ok with +25.5 per day, but how did my watch went from -3 to +25.5 in such a short period of time?

The watch is not magnetised
    or exposed to any common killers. It's not knocked or anything close to that (I worn it on my wrist on the flight).
    Could it be temperature? The watch was serviced in a tropical country with temperature around 30C, and now I'm back to a dried and cold environment with the temperature at around 15C.
    Other than that, I'm not sure what else...
    How do you know it is not magnetized? Describe the sudden change in performance to your watchmaker.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Take it back and complain. Any reputable watch repair company should have a warranty period for their work.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

Sounds magnetized. Go back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MX793 View Post
    A sudden increase in rate is often a flag that the watch has been magnetized. How do you know it's not magnetized?

Some airport scanning technologies utilize equipment that generate magnetic fields. Did you pass through or in close proximity to a millimeter wave body scanner at airport security? Those operate in the microwave spectrum, which means there's a magnetron in that scanner creating a magnetic field.
    But surely this doesn't happen to anyone going through airport security right?
    The watch went through the security scanner like everyone's watch...

Quote Originally Posted by 6R15 View Post
    Take it back and complain. Any reputable watch repair company should have a warranty period for their work.

Trouble is I won't be back there for at least another 6 months! Oversea job.
    Having it serviced again here (Australia) would probably cost a fortune, which is something I'm reluctant to do having just paid for a service...

Get it demagnetized, it’s quick easy and cheap. You’ll be fine after that and if not you’ll know then that it’s something more serious.

Quote Originally Posted by angrypossum View Post
    Trouble is I won't be back there for at least another 6 months! Oversea job.
    Having it serviced again here (Australia) would probably cost a fortune, which is something I'm reluctant to do having just paid for a service...
    Call them and arrange shipping
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

Quote Originally Posted by rcorreale View Post
    Get it demagnetized, it’s quick easy and cheap. You’ll be fine after that and if not you’ll know then that it’s something more serious.

Shouldn't magnetisation cause the watch to run too fast by the minutes per day, not seconds?
    The watch ran at +25.5 per day in the last two days since it began to deviate from the initial -3 per day.
    As drastic as it seems, it's not nearly as bad as what I've seen of magnetised watches on YouTube.
    Could there be other possible explanations?

Some people say a freshly serviced watch needs a while to "settle down." Could it be that the initial -3 per day was actually the anomaly, and now my watch has finally "settled down"?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information