A G-Shock and a Wedding Watch Dilema
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: A G-Shock and a Wedding Watch Dilema

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

A G-Shock and a Wedding Watch Dilema

Hey all,

So... I’m not really sure how this will be taken around these parts, but I’ve now sold off basically my entire collection and kept only my new G-Shock GW-5000 (square).

I just found it so freeing to not have to think about what to put on in the morning, not worry about banging it around at work, not worry about water resistance when swimming, not worry about setting the time/date, etc. I feel like I’ve gotten a big piece of my life back! Maybe someday the bug will strike again, and I’ll be back to buying a different automatic watch for every possible situation, like I had before. For now, I’m enjoying thinking about other things.

My dilema is, I’m getting married in September. I can’t very well wear my G with my suit. I need something else. I’ve always thought about buying a nice watch as a “wedding watch”, maybe having it engraved with the date, etc. The problem is, I have no other use for a dress watch. I probably won’t wear a proper dress watch again for 10 years or more.

Do I invest in a nice wedding dress watch knowing I’ll rarely wear it after the wedding?

Do I buy something I might actually wear again and make it work for the wedding, even if it’s not super dressy?

Do I buy a cheapo that just has the right look for the suit to wear at the wedding and basically dispose of after?

What do non-watch people do for the special day? Not wear a watch? Wear whatever they have and not worry about it?

Anyway, some life coaching here would be awesome from you seasoned pros. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

supawabb likes this.

Re: A G-Shock and a Wedding Watch Dilema

What u should do is buy an Oris diver 65 two tone. Done and done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    TDKFM likes this.

Wear the G-SHOCK. Everyone will be looking at your soon to be wife anyway.

Save the money and have fun. Congrats!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by grinch_actual View Post

Agreed, but the resulting photos will most likely show your watch. Mine sure did and I was glad I wore something nice.
    Hotblack Desiato likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldUlyssesSwanson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch_actual View Post

Agreed, but the resulting photos will most likely show your watch. Mine sure did and I was glad I wore something nice.
    This is what I’m afraid of....

1. Consider not wearing a watch (I didn't for my wedding... granted that was before I got into watches... nowdays half the wedding photos would focus on the wrist)
    2. Pick up an Orient Bambino on Leather - elegant and cheap enough that can be worn for dressy occassions without breaking the bank
    rfortson likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Wear the Gshock. You like it, why not have it along for an important day? And if someone is focused on that, maybe rethink the friendship. Otherwise, just buy a cheap 30-50 dollar Casio or Seiko that can look dressy. Unless you're willing to put the money down for a Rolex or Patek that will be handed down for generations, do one of the two former options.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Quote Originally Posted by Emsflyer84 View Post
    This is what I’m afraid of....
    You put your faith into that watch for everything else in your life. You should do so for this occasion as well.

That said, ask what your soon to be wife thinks. Who knows, might be fun looking for a watch together. Or she doesn't care. In which case, G-SHOCK!

I second the Orient Bambino. Looks great on leather with a suit. Cheap to buy no maintance and maybe you can wear it for somebody's else's wedding.

Sent from my SCV33 using Tapatalk
    bbasch likes this.

You love the G so wear it! I was wearing a cheap Seiko chrono for my wedding and never thought twice about it. No point in buying something you don’t want. 99% of gshock wearers wouldn’t ever think to get something different for their wedding

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information