General opinions on Tudor, specifically the Heritage Black Bay
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: General opinions on Tudor, specifically the Heritage Black Bay

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hi guys,

I am wondering what you guys think of Tudor as a brand. I've heard some mixed views on them in the past, so I don't really have an understanding what I think of them yet. Any opinions especially from owners would be great.

Also, what do you guys think of the Heritage Black Bay?

Name:  TudorHeritageBlackBay5.jpg
Views: 56339
Size:  119.9 KB

Re: General opinions on Tudor, specifically the Heritage Black Bay

I prefer vintage Tudor with Rolex cases, even though it was inevitably seen as the poorer relation. I am slightly biased about this as my father has a Big Rose Tudor that he bought new in 1967 which I've always coveted & will probably inherit eventually. However, since Tudor was given further distinctive brand identity with losing its Rolex branded vestiges, they have gone their own way with some bold and, more recently, retro designs. Even some Rolex lovers think Tudor are latterly issuing more appealing designs than Rolex which has had a mixed reception in particular with the DSSD or SkyDweller. Of course, snobs will look down on Tudor as a 'caser brand' using ETA movements.

The Black Bay is an appealing watch although they may have slightly over-egged the vintage pudding, particularly around the crown in my opinion. And it's relatively expensive for what it is.
    Last edited by Ovalteenie; December 19th, 2012 at 01:59.

In my mind I compare Tudor to be equivalent to Breitling, Bremont, and certain IWC models. They make quality time pieces.

The only problem with the black bay is you will still get "oh is that a red rolex?". I find that acceptable when I buy an affordable homage because it only cost a few hundred but it would annoy me when wearing a Tudor.
    Current: Omega PO 8500 -- Grand Seiko SBGA011 Snowflake (8/14 - SOLD) -- Grand Seiko SBGX103 Quartz (5/13 - SOLD) -- Steinhart Ocean 1 Black (2/12 - SOLD)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Whatever happened to simply asking yourself if you like the watch?

For me, not even a spark.

Quote Originally Posted by waldoh View Post
    In my mind I compare Tudor to be equivalent to Breitling, Bremont, and certain IWC models. They make quality time pieces.

The only problem with the black bay is you will still get "oh is that a red rolex?". I find that acceptable when I buy an affordable homage because it only cost a few hundred but it would annoy me when wearing a Tudor.
    The Blackbay looks as much rolex as it's aquatimer, seamaster or seiko mm.

The black bay is a stunning, it's not trying to be a submariner. Not to mention it's much nicer in the person.

Anyone said "Oh is that a red rolex" should get smack in the face :)

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    Whatever happened to simply asking yourself if you like the watch?
    The reason I started this thread was not to seek the approval of others in my liking of the esthetics of the Heritage Black Bay, but rather, as I said in the OP, to learn more about Tudor, and what people think of the brand.

I want info because I can't just head to an AD. Tudors aren't sold in America, so the closest Tudor dealer to me is about 2,000 miles away, that means I cant easily try one on or see one in person.

I have an older one I bought offline. Pretty much agree with what has been said. Mine is old enough to have the Rolex caseback and crown. I like them, as a used option. Brand new would never spend that kind of money for a Rolex case with an ETA movement.

I've a Black Bay for a couple of months, now. I don't care a bit about the possible Rolex connexions. IMO - it doesn't favors or disfavors the watch. And yes, I'm aware of the ETA 2824-2 movement (modified?) too.
    Synthetically:
    1. Aesthetically appealing timepiece - IMO, of couse;
    2. Good fit and finish;
    3. An attractive and higly legible dial (with no date, a plus to me);
    4. A nicely made bracelet and textile strap;
    5. It's comfortable on my wrist;
    6. The 'heritage' design works quite well and is a bonus;
    7. The movement, of known reliability, should be easy to service;
    8. Accuracy of my sample: +4s/ day with only marginal positional variations.
    These were the main reasons why I bought it and why I'm happy with it, but I understand others may think otherwise and that's a good thing because, after all, different tastes and divergent priorities make all this, a very interesting hobby.
    Cheers
    C.

Edit: My other Tudor, a chronograph with the 7750 movement from late 90's is now on preventive maintenance. And I say 'preventive' because it was still accurate to: +1s/day, after all these years!
    Last edited by CMTFR; December 19th, 2012 at 04:14.

The Black Bay isn't my most expensive watch - but it is one of my very favourites. I wouldn't worry too much about assessing the brand - you can't buy the brand - only a watch.

The Black Bay is just stunning in person, well built and finished, and reasonably priced (at retail). Makes me smile evry time I look at it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information