general questions from a noob

Thread: general questions from a noob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

general questions from a noob

Hey guys I have had a lot of fun browsing the forum looking for watches and information, but I am still new and confused.

What is a boutique brand? I think I've seen this term used a couple of times, and I'm not sure what it means.

Also what is a micro brand?

Also what is the big appeal of a NATO strap? I don't understand why people like them- is it simply a matter of me having poor taste (undeveloped) or is there some kind of watch history that I am not privy to?

Thanks for the info :D

Re: general questions from a noob

Hey, welcome to WUS.

1) boutique brand: my understanding is that "boutique" brands aren't entirely affiliated with making watches. Kind of like designer brands. Raymond Wiel, Gucci, Hugo Boss etc. Typically, boutique brands are deemed to not hold their resale value as well as "proper" watch brands. Say, Rolex for example. However, you may notice that an awful lot of snobbery surrounds this viewpoint. I mean, a "proper watch brand" for me, may be different to what you consider to be "proper". There are some interesting crossover brands too. Cartier for example. There was a recent thread discussing Cartier's value in respect to being a watchmaker; instead of the typically assumed fashion brand.

2) Micro brand? No idea! I'm guessing smaller (possibly independant?) watchmakers.

3) The NATO strap. For me it took some getting used to asthetically. Still, I've never owned one. They suit sporty watches (especially dive watches, thinl Rolex Submariner) because of the tough material. Don't knock your own tastes. "Poor tastes", there's no such thing. You'll find that your tastes may change! look up the thread "eveloution of WIS"

Cheers,

zac

Actually, Boutique and Micro tend to be interchangeable here on WUS and do not refer to Fashion watches as mentioned above. They generally refer to small, independent watch makers that churn out watches in small numbers with many limited editions. You can often get greater value and customer service with these makers and often are in contact directly with the owner. Micro is used more often with the smallest makers and Boutique can be expanded to include slightly larger independent companies. Micro brand examples include makers such as Benarus, Halios, Boschett, Bernhardt, Deep Blue, Steinhart, Helson, Domasko, UTS, Zixen, Aegir and many others. Many of these companies are started with watch fanatics who make only a few thousand watches per year, or far less. I would include slightly larger companies such as Sinn and Stowa in the Boutique category as well, although they make more watches than the previously listed companies.

As far as Nato straps go, I thought they looked terrible at first as well, but recently tried one on my Seiko Kinetic beater, and I must admit that they are very secure and comfortable. Guess they grow on you, kind of like Orange Monsters.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dnslater View Post
    As far as Nato straps go, I thought they looked terrible at first as well, but recently tried one on my Seiko Kinetic beater, and I must admit that they are very secure and comfortable. Guess they grow on you, kind of like Orange Monsters.
    Very true. For me its just nice to know that if a spring bar fails my watch isn't gone, but comfort is another factor which certainly makes NATOs and Zulus more appealing.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Natos were created by the British and thereby got a part number; G-10, making them official issue. Apart from that fact, they add a military flair or tatical look to the watch and they're just plain cool looking!

It took me loooong time to try NATO or Zulu straps. I first thought they were ugly and looked cheap. Man I was so wrong! You might never like them but they are among the most comfortable and secure strap on the market, and very affordable. I have many today and like them a lot. Welcome to WUS !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~ Daniel ~

Break a spring bar & you've lost your watch.
    That's the case if you have any leather or metal band/bracelet.

With a Nato... break a spring bar and your watch remains on your wrist!

That's the main reason why you see so many of them on military/pilots/divers watches.

They are also very comfortable... until you get them wet and then you'll hate them.

I consider boutique and micro to be the same thing. Basically any watch company that isn't widely sold. So Rolex is not boutique, neither is Omega, but Halios is.

I felt the same way about NATOs when I first started seeing them on the dive forum. They looked like cheap, ugly little straps. But then I took the plunge and tried a few out and now I absolutely adore them. I'm wearing my Sunset on one right now, even though it's 4mm too narrow.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

You either like G10/NATOs (or Zulus) or you don't. Fortunately, they are cheap enough that finding out which camp you are in doesn't cost much....
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Quote Originally Posted by fasthandssam View Post
    Hey guys I have had a lot of fun browsing the forum looking for watches and information, but I am still new and confused.

What is a boutique brand? I think I've seen this term used a couple of times, and I'm not sure what it means.

Also what is a micro brand?

Also what is the big appeal of a NATO strap? I don't understand why people like them- is it simply a matter of me having poor taste (undeveloped) or is there some kind of watch history that I am not privy to?

Thanks for the info :D
    Think of overlapping circles on a venn diagram. I think that the term boutique brand gets knowingly applied to watches that range from those usually sold through company boutiques such as Cartier and Bucherer to very small production high-priced brands, most of which are independently owned but some are owned by large holding companies. Micro brand typically applies to very small production brands, but again the rules are a bit hazy because Debaufre, Nomos and Dufour all sell small numbers of watches. There's lots of crossover and I think most of us get a nice warm fuzzy feeling when we talk about a boutique watch brand. But we really don't think much about what we are really saying.

If you like NATO straps then enjoy them. I can imagine something comparable on a Timex Ironman because it's functional. They don't belong on expensive watches even if the watch in question is called a diver.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information