General watch shopping question(need your opinion on this).
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: General watch shopping question(need your opinion on this).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

General watch shopping question(need your opinion on this).

Do you guys get treated equally when looking at watches at a shop? I don't get that treatment.
    I am 17,just earlier today I went to a watch shop looking a Ball watches. The salesman didn't even look at me or ask me if I needed assistance.

Is it because I am young and don't look like I know watches? Well that change when I asked him about the new DeepQuest. The salesman immediately put his head down and asked his co worker to serve me.

Just another day,one black man who looked wealthy went into a watch shop selling high end brands;I was looking at some Rolex with my father.The racist salesman didn't even take an eye on him and went the black man asked for assistance,the salesman walked away as he never heard a thing.

What do you guys think?
    Currently Own:
    1.Ball Fireman Skylab LE
    2.Ball Fireman Storm Chaser DLC Glow LE
    3.Ball EHC Spacemaster Orbital LE
    4.Ball EM II Diver Freefall LE
    5.Ball EM II Diver Worldtime
    6.Montblanc Meisterstruck
    7.Rolex Submariner 166110LV
    8.Breitling Montbrilliant Datora
    9.Breitling Super Avenger 2 Military LE

Re: General watch shopping question(need your opinion on this).

I prefer to be ignored. I'll ask for help if ,and when, I am ready to be assisted. I loathe aggresive salespeople. If I am approached as soon as I walk in I make clear that I'm just looking and that I'll let them know if I want to see something. All sales staff are not created equally and you shouldn't take things personally.

There is a verse in the good book that says , "let no man despise thy youth", point is youth are often treated that way by those older....it's a fact of life... How many times had some one older said to you in a condescending tone ,"young man, let me tell you something....etc"... I used to get that a lot, but now I'm 40 it's my turn....haha.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm 22 and get that sometimes. It doesn't really bother me too much. I agree with the poster above saying that it is almost more annoying when they hover over you and don't leave you alone.
    Omega, Steinhart, Seiko, Glycine, Tissot, Tag Heuer, Citizen, and a few others...

I prefer to be left alone when browsing, having a sales person beside me when i'm just looking just annoys me.
    Now, When I ask for help and he/she ignores me, then that's a whole different story.

I went to college in California and our International Business teacher told us a story about her Loaded friend walking into a Ferrari dealer in sweatpants. They didn't pay him much attention and when they finally asked him if he had any questions he pulled out his check book and bought the car off the showroom floor!

People are people. Some are good some are bad. It's not personal it ignorance.

There is a ton of versions of that story, like the farmer walks into a Cadillac dealership.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I went to college in California and our International Business teacher told us a story about her Loaded friend walking into a Ferrari dealer in sweatpants. They didn't pay him much attention and when they finally asked him if he had any questions he pulled out his check book and bought the car off the showroom floor!

People are people. Some are good some are bad. It's not personal it ignorance.

Not many 17 year olds have the financial capability to buy Ball watches. Even less even know about Ball watches. It is a fact of life. At 17, not many sales people were willing to let me test drive a vehicle, nor were they particularly interested in helping me try on a $2000 watch. I understood that then and understand it now. If you take it personal, I'd say you are a little naive. If you understand it, work within the reality, educate / prove to them about your knowledge of watches, and make the purchase happen without drama, I'd say you are mature beyond your years. There are some here that are twice your age and still haven't figured out this reality, and seek to make the situation as dramatic as possible.

Good Luck on your purchase, and don't sweat it. There will come a day when you despise salespeople who fawn all over you to make a sale.

Good Luck!

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

It happened to me when I was in my 30s and had a wife and young child with me. The same company sent me advertising material for years afterward trying to get me to come and visit their establishment. Guess how well they did.
    All I can suggest is - know what you are looking for in advance. Go into the shop and ask for assistance by saying "I am interested in a Ball Trainmaster Power Reserve. Do you have one I could look at/try on?" If that fails ask to see the manager. If you talk to the manager and still get nowhere, take your business elsewhere. They just lost out, not you.
    coastcat, darren2how and Monocrom like this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Or just ask, 'who hasn't make goal yet? That'll get their attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    It happened to me when I was in my 30s and had a wife and young child with me. The same company sent me advertising material for years afterward trying to get me to come and visit their establishment. Guess how well they did.
    All I can suggest is - know what you are looking for in advance. Go into the shop and ask for assistance by saying "I am interested in a Ball Trainmaster Power Reserve. Do you have one I could look at/try on?" If that fails ask to see the manager. If you talk to the manager and still get nowhere, take your business elsewhere. They just lost out, not you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information