gentility doesn't always equal genuine
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By shameless
  • 1 Post By shameless
  • 1 Post By Domo
  • 1 Post By TheWalrus

Thread: gentility doesn't always equal genuine

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member shameless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    manchester uk
    Posts
    4,344

    gentility doesn't always equal genuine

    on another thread this evening , one member suggested that someone of means is more likely to own a nice watch [ this was in the context of watches that were not what they purported to be to express it nicely ]-of course in many cases they can do so - however i have to say to assume a watch is right because the seller is an investment banker is foolish nowadays .I have witnessed this anomaly at close hand several times , maybe they travel more and pick stuff up as momentos , maybe they think because they are well heeled that no one would question their integrity - whatever the reason i believe a working class WIS is far more likely to save and buy the real thing in most all cases than a non WIS but wealthy individual . Just basically saying one shouldn't judge a book by its cover don't want to get into the realm of discussing dubious watches at all because its not allowed ,just this particular school of thought if that is in order-

  2. #2
    Member TheWalrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)
    Posts
    9,180

    Re: gentility doesn't always equal genuine

    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    on another thread this evening , one member suggested that someone of means is more likely to own a nice watch [ this was in the context of watches that were not what they purported to be to express it nicely ]-of course in many cases they can do so - however i have to say to assume a watch is right because the seller is an investment banker is foolish nowadays .I have witnessed this anomaly at close hand several times , maybe they travel more and pick stuff up as momentos , maybe they think because they are well heeled that no one would question their integrity - whatever the reason i believe a working class WIS is far more likely to save and buy the real thing in most all cases than a non WIS but wealthy individual . Just basically saying one shouldn't judge a book by its cover don't want to get into the realm of discussing dubious watches at all because its not allowed ,just this particular school of thought if that is in order-
    I think I know which conversation your referring to. I'm not sure there's anything contentious about saying that someone who makes a lot of money, and has significant discretionary income, is more likely to buy expensive things (including watches), than someone who doesn't have as much discretionary income.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200


  3. #3
    Member shameless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    manchester uk
    Posts
    4,344

    Re: gentility doesn't always equal genuine

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I think I know which conversation your referring to. I'm not sure there's anything contentious about saying that someone who makes a lot of money, and has significant discretionary income, is more likely to buy expensive things (including watches), than someone who doesn't have as much discretionary income.
    i agree with you completely Walrus - but the point i was badly making is that don't take it as a given that a well to do will be wearing a genuine watch or selling a genuine watch
    Last edited by shameless; January 10th, 2014 at 05:03.
    Domo likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Domo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,321

    Re: gentility doesn't always equal genuine

    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    i agree with you completely Walrus - but i'm really saying but the point i was badly making is that don't take it as a given that a well to do will be wearing a genuine watch or selling a genuine watch
    I had a feeling that's what you were meant to convey. I didn't want to reply because I wasn't %100 sure myself

    I'd agree that it's not a 'given' per se. There are reasons someone of any financial means would wear a replica watch.
    drhr likes this.

  6. #5
    Member TheWalrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)
    Posts
    9,180

    Re: gentility doesn't always equal genuine

    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    i agree with you completely Walrus - but the point i was badly making is that don't take it as a given that a well to do will be wearing a genuine watch or selling a genuine watch
    Oh I completely agree with that. There's nothing given out there anymore.
    shameless likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200


  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    8,516

    Re: gentility doesn't always equal genuine

    While most assumptions carry a level of risk we all still make them. I think it is fair to say it is fair more likely a person making several hundred thousand dollars a year will own a genuine high-end watch than someone that makes minimum wage. There are very few even crazy WIS that will buy a watch that costs more than their average income. Although it might actually be more likely the wealthy person would wear a fake Patek or AP since it is likely they might have more pressure to do so and or more likely to pull it off. Lets say I was buying an ALS, I would feel more comfortable buying it from someone with a household income of $500k a year than someone that made $25k a year but the comfort level would begin to even out the closer the two meet toward the $272k middle ground. I also think it would be less likely for someone that makes $500+k a year to sell a fake watch, it is a crime after all. I am NOT saying well off people don't commit crimes but usually their monetary crimes are with the plans of gaining more than a few thousand dollars, unless their "job" is the crime itself.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    10,077

    Re: gentility doesn't always equal genuine

    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    on another thread this evening , one member suggested that someone of means is more likely to own a nice watch [ this was in the context of watches that were not what they purported to be to express it nicely ]-of course in many cases they can do so - however i have to say to assume a watch is right because the seller is an investment banker is foolish nowadays .I have witnessed this anomaly at close hand several times , maybe they travel more and pick stuff up as momentos , maybe they think because they are well heeled that no one would question their integrity - whatever the reason i believe a working class WIS is far more likely to save and buy the real thing in most all cases than a non WIS but wealthy individual . Just basically saying one shouldn't judge a book by its cover don't want to get into the realm of discussing dubious watches at all because its not allowed ,just this particular school of thought if that is in order-
    Red:
    There's no way around it. You are correct on both counts.

    Blue:
    ??? Isn't the pot calling the kettle black here???

    If I were to speculate, which I guess is what you are doing in your "blue words" above, I would guess that you are wrong. My guess is based only on my awareness of the people whom I know personally. I haven't conducted a proper study or anything like one.

    The less wealthy folks I know are poor enough that nobody would believe they are wearing an authentic [pick your favorite pricey watch brand], and every disbeliever would be right in thinking exactly that. As far as I can tell, the watches they wear are just things that appealed to them visually. I'm sure they didn't spend half a second considering any WIS-ish things prior to making their purchase.

    The well off folks I know are, overwhelmingly non-WIS and wouldn't have the fist idea where to buy a watch that "isn't what it purports to be." However, I know a comparatively small group of comfortable folks who work in the PRC and who buy plenty such watches. They all have at least one authentic high-dollar watch, but there's no question nearly all have been to Luohu and Hua Qiang Bei and bought Chinese products that are alternatives to the things with which you and I are familiar, for example, watches, phones, DVDs, other electronics, clothing, etc.

    Even though there are economic differences between these two groups, there's one thing in common between them: neither did any more research than what their eyes could accomplish at the watch counter in the store where they bought it. The individuals in both groups just decided they want an watch and they went and bought one.

    Now, have I ever actually looked closely at any of the watches from either group? Actually, yes. I've looked at plenty of the ones the poorer folks bought, in large part because I'd never seen a thing that looked like them and had never heard of the brands either. Among the non-PRC visiting folks I know who are well off, I've only looked closely at or asked about the watches my WIS friends have. The rest of them have the typical Rolexes, Cartiers, Omegas, and other brands that I know exactly what they are and don't have any reason to ask about them. A few times I've encountered someone wearing a WIS-ish watch, but they are just folks who happen to have them because they were sold in the same place as the Rolex (or whatever) they initially thought they were going to buy. I guess the salesperson who helped them pointed them away from Rolex for some reason.

    All the best.

    We may handle even extreme opinions with impunity while our furniture, our dinner-giving, and preference for armorial bearings in our own ease, link us indissolubly with the established order.
    - George Elliott, Middlemarch
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony



    Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne







Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •