George J Von Burg?

Thread: George J Von Burg?

George J Von Burg?

Anyone know about that brand? I've seen a few for sale recently and wouder about their quality etc.

Don't make me go Blackbelt on ya!
    Terry
    -------------------
    Breitling Navitimer 01 LE, Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, Bathys Aquaculture black PVD, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Orange Monster, RXW MM20,
    RXW MM25, Chase-Durer conquest, Movado series 800 Diver, Movado Museum, Citizen Ecodrive chrono, Bulova Precisionist

Banned

Re: George J Von Burg?

Private Label, Made in PRC?
    Point us to an Internet site, it will be easier for us!

Run of the mill looking chronos with big crowns, nothing to get excited about.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I was curious about their rep with wis' here. I like the look of their sport chrono.

http://www.gjvb.com/mainsub.html

http://www.gjvb.com/images/vonburg_full/30022CSport.jpg

Don't make me go Blackbelt on ya!
    Terry
    -------------------
    Breitling Navitimer 01 LE, Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, Bathys Aquaculture black PVD, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Orange Monster, RXW MM20,
    RXW MM25, Chase-Durer conquest, Movado series 800 Diver, Movado Museum, Citizen Ecodrive chrono, Bulova Precisionist

stuffler,mike

Swiss made watches. Chronos with Valj. 7750, nothing new, average I´d say.

am I wrong or does GVB own Claro Semag as well?
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

That's right. G von B's background is primarily in low grade quartz movement manufacturing, and going back a few decades, low grade mechanical movement manufacturing. Movement finishing and watch assembly are other areas in which this company has much experience. Their OEM Swiss generics of 50 years ago were rather nice and sold well in the better department stores in this town.

The von Burg-owned Swissebauches Ltd, Hong Kong, are a major manufacturer of 100% Chinese quartz movements found in many fleamarket-grade watches.

More recently, von Burg's have reinvented themselves as a luxury Swiss maker of automatic chronographs. The old feller had an impressive sounding name and they can cite many decades of watchmaking experience (so long as you don't want to look at the details), and the time was right for another Swiss niche brand at this price point.

There's a lot of money behind this new venture, so they can certainly afford to buy the best and most relevant experience in the industry. Their previous ventures probably have little or no relevance to the quality of the current George von Burg watches.

Thread Information