• 1 Post By mpalmer
  • 1 Post By pithy
  • 1 Post By ev13wt
  • 1 Post By enkidu
  • 1 Post By Longhairdontcare

Thread: Getting my dial made?

Getting my dial made?

Hi all!
    Let me start by telling you, I have been dreaming of making my own watch company for years now and I want to put it into action. Of course, I will need a product to sell. I am currently working on a partial skeleton watch with a specific dial I would like to have made. The dial is the biggest challenge...I cant find anyone who has a MOQ under 100 pcs and even under 50 pcs. I would need around 10 or 20 TOPS because of my budget. I can't really share much else on the design but I can say the watch will have stripes on the face. I know RGM and others do that quantity but cost around 200 dollars per piece. Preferably a North American company that's inexpensive. I want to legally sell these as my own watch, like seiko and citizen do call their watches their own. Can I use a case I find online to call the watch my own? If not, where do I find a new case design builder? And do I need permission from ETA or Miyota to use their movement to call my own watch? I also am working on a design with a clear sapphire movement securer so It looks like thw movement is floating in the case. It will also have clear sides and other features but I do not want to give the whole design away just yet! I am mainly focusing on finding a dial maker to make inexpensive small quantities. The dial is the hardest part as it is fully custom. Any info appreciated! Email or pm me please! Thanks!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Getting my dial made?

Quote Originally Posted by timfabrizio View Post
    Can I use a case I find online to call the watch my own?
    Yes.
    And do I need permission from ETA or Miyota to use their movement to call my own watch?
    No.

Can't help with the dial. The larger the quantity the better the chance to find a source (schätzle, cador, zifferblattfabrik).
    timfabrizio likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

In my personal opinion....You need to sit down,10 to 12 hrs. a day for 6 weeks and read everything you can find on Google
    and here and all other watch forums in regard to watches. That includes Past, Present and Future. Read about everything!
    You can call your watch anything you want...You can call the mvmt. anything you want....But you can't put MADE IN U.S.A
    on it.....In all honesty you need to do research and it's obvious you haven't, or you would already know the answers to these
    Questions.....I don't think it's fair of you to expect quick answers from the WUS people. You need to do your research, not us.
    Sorry..If I offend....Good luck, you will need it.
    Aquaaiea and timfabrizio like this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unless you are independently wealthy, or can afford to lose almost everything you have invested with little/no financial setbacks, I would suggest you get out now while you still can. Very few people are successful doing this type of thing. If your goal is to do it once to say you did, then I can't really blame you, you are paying for the thrill. But if you plan on making money at this, I'd say you reevaluate and do a whole lot of reading and communicating with others who have struck out on their own before you proceed. Best of luck!
    timfabrizio likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thanks so much for all the responses, and no i didn't get offended. i fully understand where you all are coming from and i have been doing much research lately. As much as i appreciate everyone's comments, i just have to say i am full passionate about my company, and yes, some people fail, but not with the passion built up inside me. I just legally registered the company in the state of New York as T.D. Fabrizio Timepieces. I cannot wait to start selling! Thanks again for all of your help, everything is appreciated!

Soldier on! I met similar skepticism when I first proposed planting a vineyard for sparkling wines in Kansas and when I started building my own aerobatic planes. Hopefully my new line Afghan fusion cuisine food trucks will meet with less negativity from the peanut gallery. I too am passionate!
    timfabrizio likes this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    Soldier on! I met similar skepticism when I first proposed planting a vineyard for sparkling wines in Kansas and when I started building my own aerobatic planes. Hopefully my new line Afghan fusion cuisine food trucks will meet with less negativity from the peanut gallery. I too am passionate!
    Afghan fusion cuisine ...I'll bite!!
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Go for it!
    timfabrizio likes this.

Hey timfabrizio,

Welcome and good luck with your endeavors. I would suggest investing in a trip to one or both of the big watch fairs. There is the Hong Kong Watch and Clock Fair. The next one is in September 2014 in Hong Kong (duh). It is the largest timepiece event in the world and if you do your homework you should be able to make a lot of headway in terms of establishing contacts. The big European fair is Baselworld, end of March 2014 (strangely enough in Basel) and is, again, the big event for Swiss/European manufacturers.

Get references, be clear, and be prepared.

Good luck with T.D. Fabrizio Timepieces!
    timfabrizio likes this.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Good luck with the project. Keep us updated, greetings from Norway.
    timfabrizio likes this.

Thread Information