Getting new watch soon - need advice

Thread: Getting new watch soon - need advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting new watch soon - need advice

Hi,

I will be getting a new watch soon for my birthday. I am not sure what to get though.

I have had a look at a few watches in local stores. I am looking at something around $500 or slightly more depending on the watch.

So far I like the look of the Tissot Tradition chronograph or something like that.

I am not sure if i should go with quartz or if there are any automatics similar to something like that.

Thanks for any ideas.

Re: Getting new watch soon - need advice

Welcome fadetoblack! I posted this elsewhere, but appropriate for you too I think. Overall, if this is going to be your first nice watch, and you aren't going to treat it like a $50 Timex, or $75 Fossil, then I'd say go automatic and take care of it. Otherwise go quartz. These are automatic recommendations that I made for someone looking to stay at $700, but some are much less than that price. If you want quartz, we can make recs that way too.

Consider:

Victorinox Alpnach Chrono. An extremely good price and fantastic value at $795. Conduct a google search for the price.

Victorinox Swiss Army Men's 241193 Ambassador Clous De Paris. Currently $699 at a grey market dealer.

Tissot PRC200 Automatic. $600.

Tissot Veloc-T Automatic. $600.

Good Luck!

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

Worth considering a Seiko Alpinist
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328495897.417752.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  93.5 KB

Or an Orient Star
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328495954.765912.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  21.6 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328495983.772539.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  37.4 KB

Or a Christopher Ward
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328496065.524719.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  20.6 KB

All fantastic automatics in your price range. The Seiko and Orient are Japanese with in house movements, the Chr. Ward is a Swiss ETA 2824 movement.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the look of the PRC200. I am just not sure if the watch is a bit too heavy or not really a problem. The tradition I tried on felt fine weight wise.

Also, one of the stores nearby has a number of Roamer watches, including automatic ones such as the Saturn. I am not sure if this brand is good or not so much.

Roamer is a good brand with a good history ... and as far as I know they're still independent (not part of a large group, ie. Swatch, LVMH)

you might want to check out other brands with a good history, and now seems to be targeting the younger crowds; Mido, Cyma, Rado, Certina ... and there's always Hamilton, Seiko (Abba line that's really geared for the young and trendy)

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I like the look of the PRC200. I am just not sure if the watch is a bit too heavy or not really a problem. The tradition I tried on felt fine weight wise.

Also, one of the stores nearby has a number of Roamer watches, including automatic ones such as the Saturn. I am not sure if this brand is good or not so much.
    The Tissot Tradition (quartz) weighs 134 grams or 4.7 ounces. The Tissot PRC200 (Automatic) weighs 176 grams or 6.2 ounces. Neither are approaching half a pound. The PRC200 Auto is what I'd consider on the heavy side of average, but not a monster. Many consider the Rolex DSSD a monster watch weight wise at 225 grams or 7.9 ounces. None of these are like an Invicta 9937OB which comes in at 12 ounces or 340 grams.

So I think you are safe with the PRC220. I am not particularly familiar with Roamer. Sorry friend.

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

The Tissot Veloc-T Automatic in rubber looks very smart and masculine.

I quite like the look of the tradition watches. I also had a look at the tradition with the perpetual calender.This seems to use a new movement, the G15.561. Is this particularly better than the G10.211 used in the Tradition Chrono or more accurate? I guess it depends if you prefer the chrono or the day and month. function.

Thanks again.

I've asked for a Christopher Ward for my birthday.

For roughly your price range, they have lots of really nice watches, and the quality is outstanding. Far better than it should be considering the prices they go for.

I can vouch for this because my Dad has a Christopher Ward Trident Pro and it's amazing.
    Last edited by Rowhyd; February 9th, 2012 at 02:04.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information