Getting an orange NATO to brighten up my day. Can it really be seen for miles?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Getting an orange NATO to brighten up my day. Can it really be seen for miles?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Getting an orange NATO to brighten up my day. Can it really be seen for miles?

I read that most NATO watch bands are international orange which is meant to be seen in many situations. Anybody ever use their orange NATO in a situation that needed it?
    The MTG is retired and the 5600 too. Right now, the only working G-Shocks that I use and enjoy are the Riseman GW9200-1 and the GW6900-1

If I can own a Rolex Submariner I would. I know they are tough too, their homages are tough. Trust me.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1. G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, G-Shock GW6900-1

Re: Getting an orange NATO to brighten up my day. Can it really be seen for miles?

Haha. I highly doubt it. If I needed rescuing I would want more than 3/4" by 12" at the most of fabric as a signal.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Re: Getting an orange NATO to brighten up my day. Can it really be seen for miles?

Real NATO straps in the field tend to be black or drab green, because you DON'T want to be seen and become a target. Military watches also tend to be smaller... again, because you don't want to be seen or have them snag on equipment or clothing. My dad's watch from when he was in the military is about the size of a quarter.

Colored NATO straps are fashion statements (I have a few Bond straps I sometimes wear with my Sub and Speedmaster Pro) and I always wear NATO straps on my dive watches so the watch will stay on my wrist if I ever snag it and pop one of the pins while under water. You will lose your watch if you ever pop a pin with a bracelet or standard strap, but not with a NATO or Zulu strap.

IMHO, orange is by far the best color strap to use underwater. If you ever lose the watch, your chances of finding it go up many fold over wearing a bracelet or some other color, as the orange is much more visible as the quality of light changes towards the blue end of the spectrum. I've also found I much prefer using a Seiko Orange Monster under water, as the legibility is awesome compared any of my black face/white marker watches (like my previously mentioned Sub).

Here are a couple of photos of my Orange Monster with orange strap that show the amazing visibility (don't wear this combo in public unless you want everyone to stare at your wrist).

Name:  DSC00635_ss.JPG
Views: 2261
Size:  196.8 KB

Name:  DSC00636_ss.JPG
Views: 2324
Size:  131.1 KB
    Last edited by BrentYYC; February 4th, 2012 at 18:53.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here's another:

Chronopolis likes this.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Quote Originally Posted by Sodiac View Post
    Here's another:
    Niiiice!

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shocks Are Cool. View Post
    I read that most NATO watch bands are international orange which is meant to be seen in many situations. Anybody ever use their orange NATO in a situation that needed it?
    Most NATO style watch bands are certainly NOT orange. Brentyyc above stated the case well.

Of course, an Orange NATO can be a lot of fun:

But definitely not an all-the-time strap choice.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

You have a point, but you ever see something that is orange when the day changes during dusk and dawn? Even an actually orange fruit can be seen better in low light. Kind of cool.
    The MTG is retired and the 5600 too. Right now, the only working G-Shocks that I use and enjoy are the Riseman GW9200-1 and the GW6900-1

If I can own a Rolex Submariner I would. I know they are tough too, their homages are tough. Trust me.

G-Shock MTG930DA-8V, G-Shock GW-5600J-1. G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1, G-Shock GW6900-1

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shocks Are Cool. View Post
    You have a point, but you ever see something that is orange when the day changes during dusk and dawn? Even an actually orange fruit can be seen better in low light. Kind of cool.
    Mercedes once did a study to determine which color on a car would make it most visible under a wide variety of weather conditions, e.g. snow, rain, fog, etc. They determined that bright orange was the most visible.

Well, that's great! But how many bright orange Mercedes automobiles have you seen, eh?
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Here's another, and my car (after the Mercedes info above). Guess it should be safe!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

--------------------------------------------------
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 116000
    1965 Accurist Shockmaster
    1961 Gold Accurist Shockmaster
    Seiko SSC021P1
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00

Meistersinger Perigraph AM1002
    G-Shock GW3000B-1A

Rolex Submariner 14060M
    Ben Sherman S489.OOBS
    1990 Rotary Gold Case

Here's mine:

I don't know about being visible for miles, but it's certainly very eye catching.

Shotgun: 1, Cheap Watch: 0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krX5680eIGI
    (ask me if you need help with a 'shotgun review' for your most hated watch)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information