Getting ready to buy my first watch. Narrowed down to 2 Skeletons - Tissot or Hamilton
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Getting ready to buy my first watch. Narrowed down to 2 Skeletons - Tissot or Hamilton

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Getting ready to buy my first watch. Narrowed down to 2 Skeletons - Tissot or Hamilton

Always wanted a nice Swiss mechanical watch. Never owned anything remotely close to something like this. I want something with a metal bracelet, and skeleton design as I just like the look of all those small gears. I've narrowed my choices down to the following watches.

Tissot CHEMIN DES TOURELLES SQUELETTE MECHANICAL - $2100

Name:  T0994051141800_1.png
Views: 207
Size:  218.8 KB

and the

Hamilton Railroad Skeleton - $1400

Name:  H40655151_Railroad-Skeleton-Hamilton-Watches.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  45.9 KB

I would prefer a automatic movement, but don't really mind a manual. I have both a automatic and a manual here. Looking for comments, advice, thoughts, on these two watches. First post so I can't post links to the watches.

Re: Getting ready to buy my first watch. Narrowed down to 2 Skeletons - Tissot or Hamilton

I vote for the second! The ML Aikon skeleton looks nice too.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Tissot let's you see a lot more of the movement from the front!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Getting ready to buy my first watch. Narrowed down to 2 Skeletons - Tissot or Hamilton

Skeleton for sure

Tissot

I like the Tissot.

I will add that many, many members of this forum were at some early point in their watch interest enamored with skeleton watches. And most of them kind of got past that, and don't find skeletons to be the best choice. Maybe spend a little time and give it some thought before buying a skeleton watch.
    timseren likes this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

I'd go with the Hamilton, if I had to, because the Romans on the Tissot just don't work at all for me.

If neither isn't an option I'd get the Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
    I like the Tissot.

I will add that many, many members of this forum were at some early point in their watch interest enamored with skeleton watches. And most of them kind of got past that, and don't find skeletons to be the best choice. Maybe spend a little time and give it some thought before buying a skeleton watch.
    Couldn't agree more. I shared similar thoughts in the past, this is great advice.
    "Time is just memory mixed with desire"

I've read here that some don't care too much for the skeleton look. Not just this post, but browsing some other threads as well. Other than being potentially harder to read the dial at a glance, what are any other cons to a skeleton? Just personal preference? That's my main draw to them honestly. The very old technology of those tiny gears working together to make the timepiece function, coupled with the fact the someone long ago, figured out how to make this work amazes me. All that is hidden in maybe 99% of the watches out there. I just like the idea of being to see it. As far as the harder to read argument, I get that too. Especially on many cheaper skeletons where you just have hands. These two were partly chosen due the the fact that I can read them easier with the design and hand colors. For years I have relied on my phone as my timepiece. Only watch I've ever owned is a cheap $14 pocket watch I use at work to time brake tests since I'm not allowed to have my phone turned on while working due to federal restrictions and company policy. So this will be my first quality watch ever. I may very well end up with 2-3 Swiss pieces before its over with, not all skeletons. I would like to have some things to potentially pass on to my son that still function when I'm old so decided a quality watch could be a good choice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information