Getting a watch for a sake of a style?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Getting a watch for a sake of a style?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    WnS

Getting a watch for a sake of a style?

It turns out I can't bond with white dial watches no matter where I look. They just remind me of either paper or something that's "blank" and lacking colour. I've sold:

* Deep Blue Alphamarine (white/white)
    * Lum-Tec Lumzilla LZ2
    * Lum-Tec Tungsten M7
    * Orient Star Classic WZ0081EL (still beautiful but not getting the wrist time)

I'm still tempted by white watches like the Steinhart Marine which looks awesome in photos, but no more.

A lot of people have posted threads like:

"I need a pilot/chrono/orange dial/military/tritium to add to my collection", and may or may not truly desire that kind of style but there is the urge to have some kind of theme completeness in their collection.

Has this happened to anyone else?
    I'm content with my watch collection

Re: Getting a watch for a sake of a style?

I think you are describing how our interests change as we become aware of the sheer number of different watches available. Happens to us all. I've always been fascinated by watches with a simple white dial and contrasting blued hands. Such is taste.
    bluloo likes this.

WnS

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I think you are describing how our interests change as we become aware of the sheer number of different watches available. Happens to us all. I've always been fascinated by watches with a simple white dial and contrasting blued hands. Such is taste.
    You mean something like this?

Now that you mention it, I've only ever tried white with black or white with silver markers.
    DM71 likes this.
    I'm content with my watch collection

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dress watches. I love them on pictures, then I buy some, hardly ever wear it (almost always go for one of my divers), and flip it in the end.
    WnS likes this.
    Cheers,
    Josip

Some white dials are actually silver. My Nomos is silver-plated I think (the website says "Dial: galvanized, white silver-plated; rhodium-plated applique, white". That said it doesn't 'pop' even in bright light, whereas my black dialled Visodate does, which is nice. It is quite flat. But I love it.

Re tailoring one's collection I haven't consciously done so but I have a Chrono, bulky DLC Diver, day-date black dressy piece, white date dress, and incoming no date dress blue watch, and internal bezel dual drown diver. German, Swiss,.Chinese. All with different movements. Pretty diverse.

Surely style should be the primary factor as its pointless owning something you dont like the style of but people seem to forget this.

I would still like a white faced Explorer 2 but went for the black as the dial is more prominent.

I dont have anything against white faced watches just all the ones I really want have black faces
    Fiery the Angels Fell.

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

I do prefer certain dial colors (white, silver, and blue) and styles (divers), but I do like to have a well-rounded collection. I picked up a Steinhart Nav B-Uhr to do just that. It's my only pilot and has a black dial.

I've also been looking at the Steinhart Marine Chronometer II for a while, but the case is very thick for that style of watch, IMO. It's the same case as their Nav B-Uhr (44mm X 14.2mm). I expect a pilot to be larger, but the Marine just doesn't seem right for the size of the case. They do have a 38mm Marine, too.
    Official Rotation

IWC Portuguese 3714-45 \ Rolex Explorer 214270
    \ Omega Speedmaster Professional \ Rolex Submariner 114060 \ Breitling Transocean Chronograph \ Seiko Prospex SBDC051 \ Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400ST \ Rolex Datejust 41 126300 \ Oris Aquis Clipperton \ IWC Aquatimer \ Ball Engineer III Legend \ Sinn 104 \ Seiko SARX055 \ Squale GMT \ Archimede Pilot 39 \ Sinn 556

Follow me on Instagram: mtravis38

Quote Originally Posted by cs12 View Post
    Surely style should be the primary factor as its pointless owning something you dont like the style of but people seem to forget this.
    He said "for a sake of A style...completeness in their collection" meaning buying a fleiger as you don't have one, despite not liking them.

Banned

isnt it all about function and style

once you chose the function or functions you want or need
    the rest is all style

thats true with all or most things we collect ( obsess over)

cufflinks
    pens
    watch's

unless you a true collector thats has some theme or goal to meet

I too have bought certain watches not because I like the features or functions but simply because I have nothing like it in my collection. I too know I have particular personal preferences in what I truly love in a watch, and yes, like you I have strayed from that to buy what I don't have regardless.

I don't regret doing so nor appreciate the watches less because of it though. I still give them wear time or love to see them in the boxes all the same.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information