GF wants a watch - has a nickel allergy
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: GF wants a watch - has a nickel allergy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GF wants a watch - has a nickel allergy

My girlfriend, who has been very understanding of my WIS habits, seems to finally be coming around to the idea that the wrist watch was a major technological improvement from pocket watches, and digging your phone out of your pocket in meetings with leaders to check the time isn't a good look.

She mentioned to me that she'd like to get a watch to wear, mostly at the office. Targeting sub-$500, she'd like an automatic if she can get it. No brand preferences.

The one catch is that she has a bit of a nickel allergy - she does wear metal jewelry, but certain pieces (mostly very cheap items) can give her a bit of a rash. I've been doing a bit of searching, and have read about people having mixed results with 316L stainless, but otherwise might be looking toward Ti. The catch is that the selection of women's watches is already smaller than men's, and then finding something in Ti, auto, sub-38mm or so would either push it into a much higher price point than she wants to pay or simply may not exist.

My first thought when she mentioned wanting a watch is something like a Seiko Cocktail Time on leather (Seiko Watches - Presage Automatic Ladies - Champagne Ref. SRRY025 / SRP855J1), but I'm not sure if their stainless might cause issues. I do have a couple of Seikos that I might have her test-wear to see if they cause a reaction, but wanted to consult with the audience here - any suggestions of elsewhere to look? Higher price point might be something worth talking about, but I doubt that she'd be willing to go much near $1k.

EHV

Re: GF wants a watch - has a nickel allergy

Nomos claims no nickel in most of their steel and they have appropriately sized models for women. Nothing sub 500 though.

Otherwise Ti, ceramic Tungsten but note that lots, (if not all) of those have SS casebacks.

Have you looked at Rado? They use interesting materials but not sure of casebacks and some can be found on the Grey market at your price point.

Edit to add: maybe watches with display casebacks and much less SS? Lots of those available. I would think that the only concern is the material that touches her skin.

Sounds like the best bet is to have her wear some of your Seikos as a test case. Then you'll know for sure.

Otherwise, just spring for the gold or platinum, you cheap [email protected]! ;)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Perhaps one option is something with a display back and 316L stainless steel. I get a rash from some old polished "steel" watches, it was really quite unpleasant like the skin was being eaten. I haven't had a problem with anything modern claiming to be SS though, gold fill seems ok too. Another option might be a nato strap of course.

My friend has a nickel allergy and she wears Baby G watches to get round it.

My wife is the same way. Slight allergy and would get a rash with a cheap watch she had. Got a titanium watch and no problems she wore it for years until the bracelet wore out and wouldn't stay closed. Fast forward a few years and she now wears a TAG and never has any problems with rashes and it has been her daily wearer for 2 years.

Look for titanium watches.
    Most Damasko watches have Nikel free steel. DS30 and divers are the exception

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
    nodnar likes this.

Tissot pr100. Quartz, so easy and reliable, titanium so no nickel allergy, Tissot, so a brand that doesn't set you of. Alternatively the Seiko SXA115P1 would provide a good option from Japan.

Automatic, you could go back to Tissot with the T-classic for an automatic option.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

As previously mentioned, Titanium would be the material you should look for. Many quality watches for good prices fall in the titanium category.
    watchcrank likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Sounds like the best bet is to have her wear some of your Seikos as a test case. Then you'll know for sure.

Otherwise, just spring for the gold or platinum, you cheap [email protected]! ;)
    She's an actuary, and already makes more than I do (even with me being 5 years older), so I'm going to let her make this purchase. I do let her drive my car so she doesn't have to buy her own, so it seems like a fair trade.
    rfortson and watchcrank like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast