Gift for Dad on my wedding - field watch?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Gift for Dad on my wedding - field watch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gift for Dad on my wedding - field watch?

So I'm getting married in December and want to get my dad and my future father-in-law each a watch. I'm willing to spend ~$300 each and expect to get the same watch for both.

I was thinking of a field watch, like a Hamilton Khaki - something sturdy, reliable, versatile, respected, and will last forever.

Thoughts on this? Any other brands or styles you'd recommend?

*Future father-in-law is into watches.

Re: Gift for Dad on my wedding - field watch?

Quote Originally Posted by steddyrhodes View Post
    So I'm getting married in December and want to get my dad and my future father-in-law each a watch. I'm willing to spend ~$300 each and expect to get the same watch for both.

I was thinking of a field watch, like a Hamilton Khaki - something sturdy, reliable, versatile, respected, and will last forever.

Thoughts on this? Any other brands or styles you'd recommend?

*Future father-in-law is into watches.
    Congrats on the wedding! I know Hamiltons are pretty much the go-to in this sort of price class, and definitely not a bad choice, but I have a different idea. Orient Polaris GMT. Looks quite a bit nicer than what you would expect for the money (under $300 GM) and most people, even if they already have watches, don't own GMTs. A travel watch is always useful.

Citizen has a lot of nice watches. EcoDrive, 100m and good quality. Same for Seiko. A lot of styles to choose from.
    It should be special!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sensible choice - it will be quartz at that price point, but there's nothing wrong with that. I believe the reference for the 38mm date version is H68411533. Off the top of my head, the only alternative that comes to mind might be a Seiko 5 Sports such as the SNZG13J1. It's an automatic, slightly bigger, but costs less.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse_at_Large View Post
    Sensible choice - it will be quartz at that price point, but there's nothing wrong with that. I believe the reference for the 38mm date version is H68411533. Off the top of my head, the only alternative that comes to mind might be a Seiko 5 Sports such as the SNZG13J1. It's an automatic, slightly bigger, but costs less.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Thanks, much appreciated. The Hamilton's I saw seemed to be mechanical. In this price range, is Seiko my best bet for automatic/mechanical?

Quote Originally Posted by Davekaye90 View Post
    Congrats on the wedding! I know Hamiltons are pretty much the go-to in this sort of price class, and definitely not a bad choice, but I have a different idea. Orient Polaris GMT. Looks quite a bit nicer than what you would expect for the money (under $300 GM) and most people, even if they already have watches, don't own GMTs. A travel watch is always useful.

Thank you! Wow - nice looking piece indeed. Also like that it's automatic. Great find.

Banned

Choose from Seiko, Hamilton, Orient and Citizen, they would make a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Davekaye90 View Post
    I have a different idea. Orient Polaris GMT. Looks quite a bit nicer than what you would expect for the money (under $300 GM) and most people, even if they already have watches, don't own GMTs. A travel watch is always useful.

It's a lovely watch but I would caution against a GMT for your non-watch-loving father. Most 'normal folk' wouldn't know how to operate a GMT...

Sent by pushing virtual buttons on an iPhone and the magic of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by steddyrhodes View Post
    Thanks, much appreciated. The Hamilton's I saw seemed to be mechanical. In this price range, is Seiko my best bet for automatic/mechanical?
    My bad - my Google-fu was a slightly weak. A bit of searching around will indeed net you Hamilton auto Khakis at close to your price point. For examples see here https://www.jomashop.com/ha.html Most of the autos are slightly (to far) above your budget, most of the quartzes are below. Seiko 5s are a good alternative.

Happy hunting!
    steddyrhodes likes this.

Banned

Hamilton khaki

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information