Gift for teenaged girl
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Gift for teenaged girl

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Gift for teenaged girl

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this site and really enjoying so many threads here. I tried to find some advice posted for this question, but haven't really found an appropriate thread.

My 14 year old niece will be having her confirmation soon ( it's a Catholic rite where adolescents "confirm" their Catholic faith, a sort of growing up rite of passage). I'd like to buy her a special watch, something she can wear long into her 'womanhood'.

I'd like for it to be an automatic and the budget is $400-600ish. I've seen some really nice Tissot options, but I'd really love to get her something from a less ubiquitous brand - if it were a boy I'd be looking at Steinharts or G. Gerlachs. Are there any watchmakers of that ilk, but for ladies watches?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    CURRENT: Charles Nicolet Chronograph, Kelbert Chronograph, Bulova Sea King Wrist Alarm, Desotos Panda & Reverse Panda Chronograph, BWC Monza Chronograph, Omega Dynamic, Tissot PR50, Marathon/Benrus Type II, Seikp SRPA21 PADI Turtle, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Doxa 300t 50th Anniversary Edition & a whole bunch of my own custom 'Regia Marina' Builds

Re: Gift for teenaged girl

Check out Christopher Ward. They have nice quality watches, alot of women's models, and they also have a sale going on right now on some of their women's watches.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Inactive

Try ebay for "Epos 3376"

Ignore that it says mens because it is only 36mm (square!) , It's quite easily a ladies watch too

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Orient has some nice ladies' automatics:

Ladies Watches - Watch Collections | Orient Watch USA
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Are you sure you want it to be mechanical? Most women don't like mechanical watches -- the need for winding and servicing are too much. There are exceptions, but I feel like they prove the rule.
    Additionally, teen-agers are really brand conscious. Getting a catholic girl a polish watch (or something the equivalent thereof) will probably send her into a state of confusion-- she won't know that it's expensive, or particularly nice, because she's not heard of the brand. She probably won't understand how much more craftsmanship goes into a mechanical watch (even a Chinese one).

And I appreciate that you want to buy her something that she can "grow into," but that means having to service a mechanical before it'll actually be most appropriate for her to wear!

I think I'd choose a nice Citizen Eco-Drive, or perhaps Bernhardt's Delphine if you want to be different.

Or a nice looking Chris Ward. Quartz, but you can tell it's got class to it. Plus it says "London" on the face!:
    Victoria - Deco - Leather - S30-ROM-SWK - Quartz - Swiss Made

The other alternative is to go vintage. You'll be looking at handwinds, not automatics, but I'm sure you can find something really nice for a couple hundred bucks. Add in a service, and you're at your price point.

I always get mad at posters who don't listen to what the OP wants, but I think I'm being realistic here.

best of luck!
    ciccio_started_it likes this.

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Sigh... I hate being that guy who ignores the OP's request.
    Okay, here are three options. As someone else said, there are a couple of nice Orient automatics that would work. (Would she like a watch that says "Orient" on it, though? For people not in the loop, that may sound like it's cheap Chinese.)

No. 2 -- Uhren von Uhr's 205. It's less than $350, has sapphire and an ETA movement, is 32mm in diameter (a presence without being manly) and is classy as classy can be.
    Watches from UHR - Uhren von UHR - UHR-205
    It's a shame is doesn't say "swiss movement" on the face, but oh well.

3. Vostok Lady First. Just the opposite -- colorful and fun. Less than $150, but pretty much only available on eBay (they're discontinued) and colors are limited.
    Russian Women's Diver VOSTOK Amfibia Lady First Wristwatch 570068 New | eBay

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Oris make some nice ladies watches, if you look around you could find one at top of your budget, you might have better luck at a shop than on line.
    +1 on Eco drive suggestion.
    What about a Mondaine Swiss railway watch? We'll within your budget and kind of cool.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382745884.039792.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  34.7 KB

Or
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382746105.399783.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  32.3 KB

The Laco or Achimede pilots in 36mm might suit her
    Name:  4919-a15-dia-gal.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  94.8 KBName:  861798-4.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  141.4 KB

Both are within your price range, are German made (cases + assembly), have display casebacks(a must for any mechanical watch), fit smaller wrists well and yet have a presence that is unlike any other blingy watches for women out there.

Beats what I gave my niece for her FHC! (a cross from James Avery, and only silver at that- I feel so cheap now)

Since used has been raised as a possibility - there are a few nice appearing Cartier Tanks (of the "Must Du Cartier" variety) on the bay - saw 2 nice ones at 779 - 1 black, one cream, that looked like they had good gold coverage and dials. While both were manual winds I think that a Cartier would thrill any girl and would get lots of wear in the future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information