Given the choice, would you rather have a Navitimer Caliber 01 LE or IWC Portuguese Chrono

Thread: Given the choice, would you rather have a Navitimer Caliber 01 LE or IWC Portuguese Chrono

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Confused Given the choice, would you rather have a Navitimer Caliber 01 LE or IWC Portuguese Chrono

Dear all,

First of all, Season's Greetings to all of you!

With reference to the topic matter, I have the following query:

With about EUR 6,500.00 to spend, would you opt for the Breitling Navitimer 01 LE:

or rather the IWC Portuguese Chronograph:

Here in the Netherlands, these watches fall in the same price bracket, with the Navitimer being only marginally more expensive.

Considerations:

Breitling is a decisively mid-market brand BUT this Navitimer is built like a rock and finished to a very high standard (I've handled one at an AD) and features an in-house movement from Breitling;

Whereas IWC is a more upscale brand, and the Portuguese is also finished to a very high standard BUT features an ETA sourced (albeit modified by IWC) movement.

Given the option, which one would you pick and why?

Many thanks and best regards,

Pieter
    Current rotation:

A. Lange & Söhne Datograph (PT)
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Chronograph (WG)
    A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Soirée (WG)
    Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph (26320ST)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon (1975)
    Panerai PAM 025 Submersible
    Patek Philippe 5146J Annual Calendar
    Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi 16700
    Rolex Sea Dweller 16600
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph (49150)
    Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Contemporaine (WG)

Re: Given the choice, would you rather have a Navitimer Caliber 01 LE or IWC Portuguese Ch

Good question as I drool while looking at both so with that I dont think you can go wrong.

#1 You have a Navi listed in your sig so it would round the collection a little more to go with the IWC

#2 The Navi is an awesome and unique look but I think the IWC is more diverse in wearing occasions

It is a close call but given those two I would probably lean more on the IWC
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Laco Aachen • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

Re: Given the choice, would you rather have a Navitimer Caliber 01 LE or IWC Portuguese Ch

i'd opt for the IWC which i think would be a good balance for your collection. and what's wrong with an ETA sourced movement? IMO it's as reliable and sturdy as any in house movement around.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seems like chalk and cheese to me, the Breitling has way to much crud around the dial, stuff that I would never use in a million years. Sorry to say, it looks like an Invicta quartz to me. The Portugese is a clean and true classic in my eyes.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

I simply love the Breitling, so that would be my preference, but as others have stated, you do already have a Navitimer...

Thanks for the fast replies!

As regards the fact that I already have a Navi, point well taken but I'm planning on trading it in in order to finance the purchase of either of the aforementioned watches.

On the one hand, I do not want to be without a Navitimer as it's simply an iconic watch and the defining model in Breitling's model line (imho), on the other, a Portuguese is much dressier (and maybe classier, too?)...

Choices, choices.....
    Current rotation:

A. Lange & Söhne Datograph (PT)
    A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Chronograph (WG)
    A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 Soirée (WG)
    Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph (26320ST)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon (1975)
    Panerai PAM 025 Submersible
    Patek Philippe 5146J Annual Calendar
    Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi 16700
    Rolex Sea Dweller 16600
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph (49150)
    Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Contemporaine (WG)

I agree with you on the Navi being an iconic model in the Breitling line.

Why not hold onto it and save for the IWC and then own both or sell one of the other not so iconic models you have?
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Laco Aachen • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

IWC...more understated, versatile, elegant

Navitimer for me as well!
    Just a watch i have always lusted for, and im not sure if thats the LE model with the display back but the Breitling is stunning!
    GL

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Enough said:
    Chronic flipper...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information