Glad I went through AD!
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Glad I went through AD!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Glad I went through AD!

Hi guys,

I have been looking for a new watch and was considering grey market / Authorised Dealer.
    I went AD and very glad I did, I picked my watch up all was good set the time to my IPhone and off I went.
    After a couple of hours I noticed it seemed to be running fast, after a 24hr period the watch had run fast 7hrs!!!
    I rang my AD and they arranged an immediate changeover for another one, had this happened from an overseas grey market place it would have taken much longer to get a result.

Anyway enough of that, now I'm wondering has anyone had a new watch gain/lose more than mine in a 24hr period? I'm guessing it could e a long shot but I'm happy to be surprised :)

Re: Glad I went through AD!

With my Omega AT 8500, there was a strange spec on the dial so I returned it to the AD. The staff insisted that I return it for warranty. So I did. Six weeks later I got my AT back with a brand new dial. I am thankful that I bought my watch through an AD.

6 weeks!?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

this just tells me that you can get a lemon from an AD as well ... that they're not as perfect as some people would like to believe
    Monocrom and NineFace like this.

AD's and pre-owned are the only way I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue bird View Post
    AD's and pre-owned are the only way I buy.
    I'd rather buy grey than pre-owned (depending on the grey dealer); Amazon, for example, offers warranties; pre-owned will rarely accept returns for DOA, let alone faults in developed down the line.

I'm not convinced that either of these stories would have turned out any worse with a gray market dealer.

For me it depends on the price of the watch. Once you start laying down some cash I want to know it's authentic. For the adorables I have no problem going gray market.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausman600 View Post
    I'm wondering has anyone had a new watch gain/lose more than mine in a 24hr period?
    I had something similar happen to me. Brand new, grey market Seiko purchased on Ebay, showed up gaining between 2-3 hours in a 24 hour period. The seller told me to send it to the authorized service centre in my country. After talking to them on the phone it became apparent that they likely wouldn't service it, even with a stamped warranty card. Plus it would cost a little over $30 to send it there and back, which the seller didn't seem interested in covering. When told they probably wouldn't deal with it, seller told me to send it back to him, he'd get it fixed and send it back. The seller didn't seem willing to pay for the cost of shipping the watch back to him either, and in correspondence completely ignored every request about it. My thinking was I had paid an agreed upon amount of money for a functioning watch and shouldn't have to pay additional money to get what I'd purchased in the state it was supposed to be in.

In the end I had to go through Paypal and return the watch. I was out of pocket about $40 for return shipping, and the seller went nuts when he found out I was returning it. I went and purchased a replacement watch, again through Ebay, different seller. I paid about $50 less for it because it came without papers and without a stamped warranty card (which I now understood to be without value). The replacement keeps time within about 30 sec a day. Not perfect, but close enough, and I can always try regulating it.

The whole thing was a big hassle, but even factoring in the return shipping to the first seller, I spent at least $150 less on the watch than I would have at an AD.

The next watch purchase I made after this was from an AD, and I remember thinking: "it sure is nice to know that if anything goes wrong with it I can walk in tomorrow and have it dealt with." But this watch was heavily discounted, and including taxes I paid slightly less than the lowest price I could find anywhere online.

I don't think you can say you're always better off with an AD or always better off going grey market. You have to take each purchase on a case by case basis. With a watch that's unlikely to have movement damage during shipping, or run fast/slow (quartz), I'd be more inclined to go grey market. Same for a watch that's fairly inexpensive. For any watch I'm paying $500+ for, I'd definitely go to an AD.

I don't get it.

Why not buy from a reputable grey market dealer and just return it for a refund or exchange if there is a problem? Oh wait, you mean some ebay geek in Hong Kong, not just some grey market dealer. That's your problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information