Glashutte Original....Black or Silver dial?
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Glashutte Original....Black or Silver dial?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    m3s

Glashutte Original....Black or Silver dial?

Good afternoon, first post but have been reading the forums for a few months now.

I've been researching to get my first automatic watch. I don't really wear a watch now but being in my 30s, I figure it's about time (pun intended).

Here's a list of watches I have been considering:

Zenith Captain Dual Time
    Zenith Captain Power Reserve
    Zenith Captain Chronograph (El Primero Caliber)
    Glashutte Original Senator Hand Date

From the above list, I really like the GO for the brand and the style, any opinions on this? I think the GO is slightly less than the Captain Chrono, although similar enough that price is not the factor.

Which brings me to my next question, for the GO or any of the above watches, black or silver dial???? Keep in mind this will probably be my only watch in the near future. Originally I like the black but a part of me feels maybe I should get the silver to be more versatile and "elegant". Now I'm split between the 2. Thoughts?

I haven't seen either watches in person as there is not an AD in my country, but hope to do so when I travel.

What do you guys think about the Glashutte Panomatic Lunar? There is a preowned 2006 model for $5000usd which is about the price of a new Glashutte Senator hand date. Good deal? Any hesitations about buying preowned? These watches should last a lifetime so I figure if its been taken care of, should be ok.

Thanks.
    Last edited by m3s; February 15th, 2013 at 05:15. Reason: added pictures
    CitizenM and TimeSaver like this.

Re: Glashutte Original....Black or Silver dial?

Quote Originally Posted by m3s View Post
    Good afternoon, first post but have been reading the forums for a few months now.

I've been researching to get my first automatic watch. I don't really wear a watch now but being in my 30s, I figure it's about time (pun intended).

Here's a list of watches I have been considering:

Zenith Captain Dual Time
    Zenith Captain Power Reserve
    Zenith Captain Chronograph (El Primero Caliber)
    Glashutte Original Senator Hand Date

From the above list, I really like the GO for the brand and the style, any opinions on this? I think the GO is slightly less than the Captain Chrono, although similar enough that price is not the factor.

Which brings me to my next question, for the GO or any of the above watches, black or silver dial???? Keep in mind this will probably be my only watch in the near future. Originally I like the black but a part of me feels maybe I should get the silver to be more versatile and "elegant". Now I'm split between the 2. Thoughts?

I haven't seen either watches in person as there is not an AD in my country, but hope to do so when I travel.

Thanks.
    It would help if you posted pictures. But, if this will be your only watch for a while, I would strongly suggest the silver face. It will as you commented, be much more versatile. I have two black faced watches, and they don't work as easily with some clothing options as a more neutral color dial does.
    drhr likes this.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Banned

This thread needs pics. When you see them all at an AD and try them on it will likely sway you in an unexpected way. Black can be just as elegant as silvered.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can't speak to the others cause have had no experience with them, but have had the GO Hand Date. If you end up there, I think the white/silver would be more versatile (pic from net), especially if it will be the only piece for awhile. Regardless of dial color, they are nice . . . .
    CitizenM and RBrylawski like this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

I prefer the Captain Power Reserve (pink gold on white or white on black - white on white does not seem to have sufficient contrast). Also, I prefer the variant with thicker hands - it seems some of them also have lume. Since you did not put any pictures, I will help you:

Last edited by Orex; February 14th, 2013 at 07:00.

m3s

Thanks for the pictures. I just added some myself. The Captain power reserve was my top choice till I saw the Glashutte though I admit a part of it is because the GO brand seems to be well regarded although Zenith is a great brand as well.

Yeah, the black dial offers much more contrast and that's my concern with the white/silver dials. The RG is out of my budget.

Silver will be more versatile, black will be more elegant.
    In the GO, I prefer the aesthetics of the black dial, in the Zenith, the silver.
    ------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

I have the Glashütte hand/date with the silver dial. The black dial is quite dramatic, but I think the silver is more classic, and will prove more versatile, which is why I chose it.

Attachment 972048
    drhr, CitizenM, RBrylawski and 2 others like this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Black is the more versatile color for me IMO. My watches are all with black dials and they transit perfectly from casual to formal.
    I love what Zenith has done with the El Primeros but I'm a sucker for German watches especially those from the little town of Glashutte.
    So.. I'll have to go with the GO, black dial.
    ROLEX Datejust 36mm Blueberry;
    ROLEX Pepsi GMT-Master 16700 (Circa 1987);
    ZENITH El Primero 36'000 VPH Tri-Color;
    SEIKO Prospex Solar Tuna SBDN026 (1981/3000)

Considerations:
    AUDEMARS PIGUET Royal Oak 15450
    A.LANGE & SOHNE Saxonia Thin 37mm

Instagram: Horodiziac

Good God that's a hard decision. I personally like the Zeniths a little more, but man, can't go wrong. I really like that particular dual time, but partly because I have a thing for blued hands. But that El Primero is...so nice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information