• 2 Post By Michael Weare
  • 1 Post By CitizenM

Thread: Glasshutte Original Senator Manual Winding Skeletonized Edition

Watchuseek Editor

Glasshutte Original Senator Manual Winding Skeletonized Edition

Name:  Senator Manual Winding Skeletonized Edition_Office_10971.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  273.5 KB

Skeletonization is a long established tradition in Glashütte, now the Saxony based manufactory Glasshutte Original has created the beautiful Senator Manual Winding Skeletonized Edition.

This latest work features the firm’s own Calibre 49-18, complete with intricate mechanics and artfully executed engravings.

The elegant two-hand model comes in a highly polished 42mm red gold case which frames the skeletonized manual winding movement with its 40 hour power reserve drawing the eye to the refinement of the timepiece. The galvanized silver, skeletonized dial is decoratively enhanced by a black railroad minute ring and finely executed Roman numerals. Blued hour and minute hands indicate the time of day.

Name:  Senator Manual Winding Skeletonized Edition_Office_10975.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  165.8 KB

The precise skeletonization of the Senator Manual Winding Skeletonized Edition reveals the beauty of the manufactory Calibre 49-18. The filigreed workmanship is protected on the dial side by a sapphire crystal, which is anti-reflective on both sides, and by an anti-reflective sapphire crystal fitted to the case back, which gives the wearer an exceptional view of the movement’s elaborately finished components and engravings.

Name:  caseback.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  111.4 KB

Hallmark characteristics of Glashütte watchmaking are all present in the watch including the winding wheels with double-sunburst decoration, screw-mounted gold chatons with blued screws, hand-engraved plates and the lavishly finished swan-neck fine adjustment. An elaborate process allows the gold engraved lettering and movement numbers to appear in distinct contrast to the rhodium plated movement.

The Senator Manual Winding Skeletonized Edition comes on a matt black Louisiana alligator leather strap with fold-over clasp in red gold, and is presented in a dark brown wooden case.

Visit the Glasshutte Original website
    Last edited by Michael Weare; May 12th, 2014 at 11:14.
    TimeWizard and mleok like this.

Re: Glasshutte Original Senator Manual Winding Skeletonized Edition

I can't decide if it is really gaudy, or absolutely stunning. I'll go with stunning for now.
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

I appreciate all the hard work and craftsmanship that has gone into this watch, I really do. And Glashutte Original is one of my favourite brands.

But I really don't like it, like the previous poster said, Gaudy. Maybe I'm just boring, but I like my watches to be practical

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As skeletons go - !

This is a beautiful skeleton watch, although it feels more French than German in terms of its aesthetic.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    This is a beautiful skeleton watch, although it feels more French than German in terms of its aesthetic.
    I agree, though imo it is also reminiscent of the work of Grieb & Benzinger.

I'm a huge GO fan, and there's nothing wrong with this watch, but it fails to capture that GO look for me. I think they should have done something more focused and tried to incorporate more of their unique GOness into it.
    mleok likes this.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

I'm not a big skeleton fan, but GO has brought a real sense of art to this one. Would I buy it? I doubt it... but I certainly can appreciate the artistry.

Thread Information