WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Glycine airman advice needed - which one?

3K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  u2bdet 
#1 ·
Just looking for some opinions out there. I've got an airman 18 38mm or an airman 9 chrono 44mm. One will be kept the other will be sold. Which would you keep and why? Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Wrist

See less See more
#10 ·
Another vote in favor of the 38mm here.

#11 ·
The non-chrono appears to be a much better size for your wrist...

I can identify with your quandry though. I briefly owned the chrono version and the 'double' version of the Airman and returned them both within 48 hours...

#12 ·
They are both great watches, so it's really a matter of personal taste and needs.

I have the Airman 18, so I'm partial to it. Compared to the 46mm Airman that I used to have, I find the 18 much more comfortable. That's the one I would keep, if I were choosing between the two.

#15 ·
18 > 9

#17 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, to be honest I was sort of leaning towards the chronic because I felt the 38mm was a bit small but might reconsider given the comments on here, I rarely use the chronic function but I like the look of chronic watches, only downside is the face does look a bit cluttered on This one and there is no seconds hand. Other than that what's the general consensus on Glycine? I'm not a watch buff by any means but I have a breitling transocean chronograph that I got when I was on honeymoon, only wore it at weekends because I had a fairly manual job now I've moved into a managerial role I'm wearing it everyday to the office but I'm worried the glass is getting worn in and with the mesh bracelet I'm wondering if it's a bit flash as a daily wearer? I came across these watches at a good price and was basically looking for a more robust, less expensive daily watch that still maintains a good build quality and classic aesthetic. Other than the airman does anyone have any suggestions what would fulfill that criteria?

#21 ·
Glycine makes good stuff. The movements are standard ETA, for the most part. They have a long history of the 24-hour "purist" style of dial and use in flight scenarios. For ~$1000-2000, you cannot do much better for quality and value. Taste is a different story, of course. My taste runs toward the SST-12 Pumpkin.

#23 ·
The second "crown" on the non-chrono Airman isn't actually a crown...it's what Glycine calls a "spacer system"...it's a screw-down thingy that holds the bezel in place and keeps it from moving. Never really thought of it, but it does look like an out of place chrono pusher.

#26 ·
keep the non chrono. the chrono looks a tad too big for your wrist while the non chrono looks perfect. . plus its just too busy of a dial for me. the busy dial of the chrono also kind of defeats the purpose of a pilots watch for me. it should be a watch that you can just glance down and get the information you need. you can also never go wrong with a classic airman.

Just looking for some opinions out there. I've got an airman 18 38mm or an airman 9 chrono 44mm. One will be kept the other will be sold. Which would you keep and why? View attachment 7568466

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.